The Student Room Group

How do you know if you have real depression?

Like for about the past 7 years I've been trying to avoid pbvious reasons I want to die. But it's not like I want to think of these things I try to avoid them but it's wittled me down to simply nothing. I feel so old now being 21 and have done nothing with my life. And finally feel like I'm completely alone like it's all up to me. And I feel like I spent 21 years being mauled by a bear several bears and like its hard to try to pick up the pieces because I didn't take care of myself during that time and it's catching up with me and I will never be a decent person. I'm just depressed about life sometimes when I have known people who knew what normal was and lived with them I felt less depressed and like I can be like anyone else but now completely deserted I feel like I will never get myself to where I want to be which is just like anyone else. People look at me and don't like me I think because they can tell I'm not normal like them. But anyway how's one to know if they have real disordered depression or just situational?
You definitely have depression if you comment like this. :hugs: Do you have anyone to talk to about it?
Reply 2
Sometimes it can be hard to objectively tell if it is yourself. The first time I had an episode of depression, I didn't really see it myself; I just thought I was physically ill and when the doctor said I was depressed, I just walked out the room and wouldn't listen.

That said, you could easily search and find some diagnostic criteria and see if any of them apply.
It does sound like depression, I would speak to your GP and tell them how you are feeling. I know its easy for people to say go to gp but it can be a lot harder than that. You are only 21 and believe it or not that is young, the average uk life expectancy is about 78 for a man and 82 for a woman, if you seek help now you have plenty time to become the person you want to be, and you will be a decent person.

Depression still effects people whether it is situational or not, find someone you can talk to, a counsellor or gp.

I have felt exactly how you felt but with counselling and Cognative Behaviour Therapy, I have changed and I am happier with myself and my life. Three years ago Id never have thought I would be heading off to Uni in a matter of months, I have a new group of friends and my life is so different.

You can turn this around with the right support. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest