The Student Room Group

AQA Chem Unit 1 May 22nd 2015 *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samwillettsxxx
Hi electronegatity increases as you go across the periodic table and decreases as you go down the group
If an atom has more electrons than another, you know it is more electronegative because the outer shell is further from the nucleus therefore easier to attract

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
It should be pyramidal
Not tetrahedral
Right? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahah I don't really know :tongue: ...The answer said trigonal pyramid or tetrahedral ...I just don't get why isn't trigonal planar?? :/
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
It would have 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair so would be a pyramidal

Isn't it only the bonded pairs that count though?? :/ idrk ahaha ..
Original post by Ellebann
When drawing shapes of molecules why is NHf2 a tetrahedral??? ... :/
It would be trigonal bypyramidal because the N can have 5 bonds to it due to having no charges but only 3 will bond leaving 2 lone pairs. However I'm not sure if this would then mean it is just called bent. What paper is it from? I remember the question being asked.
Ahah I don't really know :tongue: ...The answer said trigonal pyramid or tetrahedral ...I just don't get why isn't trigonal planar?? :/

Hi if you don't know weather it has lone pairs it always helps me to draw the dot and cross diagram to help

image.jpg
Reply 185
Original post by frances98
It would be trigonal bypyramidal because the N can have 5 bonds to it due to having no charges but only 3 will bond leaving 2 lone pairs. However I'm not sure if this would then mean it is just called bent. What paper is it from? I remember the question being asked.

It wouldn't be trigonal bi pryramidal it will be trigonal pyramid 2 different things note that!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hudl
It wouldn't be trigonal bi pryramidal it will be trigonal pyramid 2 different things note that!

Is trigonal pyramid the same as trigonal planar?

Jun11 3bi I wrote pyramidal and got the mark but can't seem to understand why AQA accept tetrahedral?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Is trigonal pyramid the same as trigonal planar?

No it isn't. Trigonal planar has 3 bp with no lp The angle between the bonds are 120 degrees

Trigonal pyramid is a subshape to a tetrahedral, it has 3bp and 1lp, with bond angle 107 degrees
Original post by Hudl

Why can't we just stick to basics and call it pyramidal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hudl
No it isn't. Trigonal planar has 3 bp with no lp The angle between the bonds are 120 degrees

Trigonal pyramid is a subshape to a tetrahedral, it has 3bp and 1lp, with bond angle 107 degrees

The mark scheme for this question also allows tetrahedral however so it wouldn't matter which you put
Reply 191
Original post by Thebest786
Jun11 3bi I wrote pyramidal and got the mark but can't seem to understand why AQA accept tetrahedral?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA accept tetrahedral because the basic shape of a trigonal pyramid, tetrahedral and V-Shape is a tetrahedral. The specific shapes are the actual shapes eg V-Shape etc. But with the bp and lp (if we pretend each lp makes a bond) they all make 4bp and hence have 109.5degree bond angle. The angle is decreased by 2.5 degrees per lone pair.

AQA accept tetrahedral because some people may quote the basic shape which is tetrahedral and is therefore correct. Although not strictly what they are asking for.
Reply 192
The mark scheme for this question also allows tetrahedral however so it wouldn't matter which you put

Yeah but you said trigonal planar, trigonal planar is not a tetrahedral & trigonal bypyramid is also not a tetrahedral. Trigonal pyramid however is the actual shape of the basic shape of a tetrahedral.
Original post by Hudl
Yeah but you said trigonal planar, trigonal planar is not a tetrahedral & trigonal bypyramid is also not a tetrahedral. Trigonal pyramid however is the actual shape of the basic shape of a tetrahedral.

I have never actually heard trigonal pyramid ever before. I know linear, trigonal planar, tetrahedral, trigonal bypyramidal and octahedral and adding bent or distorted where it is necessary
Original post by Hudl
AQA accept tetrahedral because the basic shape of a trigonal pyramid, tetrahedral and V-Shape is a tetrahedral. The specific shapes are the actual shapes eg V-Shape etc. But with the bp and lp (if we pretend each lp makes a bond) they all make 4bp and hence have 109.5degree bond angle. The angle is decreased by 2.5 degrees per lone pair.

AQA accept tetrahedral because some people may quote the basic shape which is tetrahedral and is therefore correct. Although not strictly what they are asking for.

I get you, but technically isn't it wrong? Because lone pairs affect the shape and it should be stated how, well atleast AQA are leniant for once, thanks though. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya! Can someone help me with this question? I just don't know how to get the answer.

1.40g of an alkene gave 3.77g of a dichloroalkane on reaction with chlorine. What is the molecular formula of the alkene?
Original post by sandy5621
Heya! Can someone help me with this question? I just don't know how to get the answer.

1.40g of an alkene gave 3.77g of a dichloroalkane on reaction with chlorine. What is the molecular formula of the alkene?

the extra mass from cl2 is 71.
the extra mass you are looking for is 3.77-1.4g = 2.37g.
by order of elimination you must divide the 1.4 over the mr of an alkene (e.g 42) 1.4/42 =33
the add the extra mass of chlorine via 33*71=2.366
therefore mr must be C3H6
Let me note you should be given a multiple choice for this as it can be very time consuming guessing the mr to use.
Original post by samwillettsxxx
Hi if you don't know weather it has lone pairs it always helps me to draw the dot and cross diagram to help

image.jpg

Ohh that's a good idea thanks! So do lone pairs not affect the name only the bond angle??

See I thought it was trigonal planar but the Ms says trigonal pyramidal / tetra so I got confused ahah :/
Btw it's June 2011 3bi
Ohh that's a good idea thanks! So do lone pairs not affect the name only the bond angle??

The lone pairs will affect the angle because of the repulsion yes
And yes they do affect the shape. The one lone pair and 3 bonding pairs makes this trigonal pyramidal

image.jpg

Learn this sheet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending