The Student Room Group

AQA Chem Unit 1 May 22nd 2015 *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by badaman
How do you explain the shape of a molecule?

There is an equation you can use.
get the group number of the element that there is only one atom (IE in NH3 it would be Nitrogen which is 5) of and add to it the number of electron pairs (in NH3 it would be 3, you can just use the number of other atoms in the molecule too if that makes sense). After, subtract the charge and then divide the number by 2. This gives the bonding pairs, and then subtract bonding pairs from electron pairs for lone pairs.

I just noticed that you probably meant why do molecules get into their specific shapes.
-Bonding pairs repel each other equally.
-Bond angles will be equal IF NO LONE PAIRS ARE PRESENT. At least I think that is the case.
Original post by _minasan
1. State number of bonding pairs and lone pairs of electrons.
2. State that electron pairs repel and try to get as far apart as possible (or to a position of minimum repulsion.)
3. If there are no lone pairs state that the electron pairs repel equally
4. If there are lone pairs of electrons, then state that lone pairs repel more than bonding pairs.
5. State actual shape and bond angle

^ From chemrevise

Original post by samwillettsxxx
State the bonding pairs and if it has any lone pairs and then the bond angle and any repulsion

thankss
Original post by GabrielSmith1998
There is an equation you can use.
get the group number of the element that there is only one atom (IE in NH3 it would be Nitrogen which is 5) of and add to it the number of electron pairs (in NH3 it would be 3, you can just use the number of other atoms in the molecule too if that makes sense). After, subtract the charge and then divide the number by 2. This gives the bonding pairs, and then subtract bonding pairs from electron pairs for lone pairs.

I just noticed that you probably meant why do molecules get into their specific shapes.
-Bonding pairs repel each other equally.
-Bond angles will be equal IF NO LONE PAIRS ARE PRESENT. At least I think that is the case.

~Ta x
Original post by Prem1
Hey, could you like share the type of questions in the exam, hopefully to the best of your memory, after you've done it
thankyou

I'm sorry to say but my exam board is edexcel not AQA.I thought this thread is about is about the edexcel exam.Sorry :colondollar:
Original post by sleepisheaven
HF Has H bonding

The rest only have weak vdw.

As molecules become larger/more electrons/greater Mr (the ones with vdw) the vdw forces between molecules become stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes sense but why don't the other molecules have permanent dipole dipole? :frown:
??
Original post by dripper
Can we do dots for lone pairs instead of this stupid balloon?

Jan 2013 ms say reject simple covalent for OF2 and the answer is simple molecular. Is it always like that or is OF2 special case?
Original post by Boundless_x
That makes sense but why don't the other molecules have permanent dipole dipole? :frown:

Electronegativity difference not enough for permanent dipole-dipole.
Original post by dripper
??

Have no idea, we've always been taught to draw the balloons
how do you calculate limiting reagent???
Original post by JRN-95
Electronegativity difference not enough for permanent dipole-dipole.

Can you give me some examples of molecules with permanent dipole dipole if possible thanks :smile:
Original post by Amyjonesx
how do you calculate limiting reagent???

Sorry this is the AQA thread!
Original post by akereem100
Jan 2013 ms say reject simple covalent for OF2 and the answer is simple molecular. Is it always like that or is OF2 special case?

Always say simple molecular as it's the correct term, but lenient MS may give mark to simple covalent. Better safe than sorry though.
Original post by GabrielSmith1998
Sorry this is the AQA thread!

do we not need to know this for AQA?? yes!! what a waste of time I have been trying to figure it out for one hour!

what about theoretical yield?
Original post by akereem100

Questions says 'crystal' so it can either be Giant ionic lattice, Metallic, Macromolecular or Simple molecular so its pretty clear which one it'll be
:smile: hope it cleared things up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any advise on how to pass the moles section in the paper? I'm really bad at the calculations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you give me some examples of molecules with permanent dipole dipole if possible thanks :smile:

HCl, CH3Cl but you won't be expected to give examples out of nowhere they usually give you some info.
probably should know this by now but what is the difference between having dipole dipole and van der waals?
Original post by JRN-95
HCl, CH3Cl but you won't be expected to give examples out of nowhere they usually give you some info.

But in the previous question, why can you not say there is permanent dipole dipole in HCl? Why are we only supposed to talk about van der waals forces?
But in the previous question, why can you not say there is permanent dipole dipole in HCl? Why are we only supposed to talk about van der waals forces?

Is this an exam question because I'm pretty sure HCl has dipole-dipole

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending