The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

commercial music auditions

can anyone who has successfully auditioned for Commerical music tell me about their experience please? I am auditioning soon and would like to know exactly what will be asked of me on the day.
thanks
Original post by greenkickboxer60
can anyone who has successfully auditioned for Commerical music tell me about their experience please? I am auditioning soon and would like to know exactly what will be asked of me on the day.
thanks

Hey, this might be a late reply, but I auditioned in January and got an offer for Commercial Music. I'll share some advice based on my experiences:

1) Be prepared, have examples of all your different work - e.g. production, classical composition, rock, acoustic, experimental.

2) Stay calm and be warm. Difficuilt when under pressure, but really important.

3) answer questions honestly, show your enthusiasm for the subject and your career goals.

4) Go for diversity and rawness rather than doing something overly complex and demanding.

5) Demonstrate and explain your particular uniquities and interests, but stay open-minded to all possibilities.

Hope I've been of some help. :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by JTLeonMusic
Hey, this might be a late reply, but I auditioned in January and got an offer for Commercial Music. I'll share some advice based on my experiences:

hi, I also received an offer for commercial music but didn't go to the audition and instead sent copy's of my works etc. I have never tried to sight read before but do possess a grade 5/6 understanding of theory. I don't think the uni was aware when they offered me a place so could I be kicked out when they find out in September which they will find out lol also can you sight read and do you think everyone joining this course can. sorry for the looong question, just really pessimistic about how it'll turn out in September.
the course doesn't require sight-reading as a prerequisite, I am lucky to have had some classical theory background, but not everyone does. So don't worry.

If they have given you a place, then it is highly unlikely that they will 'kick you out'. I would suggest learning and trying some sight-reading for your own benefit though. 'The more strings to your bow, the better'.

Look forward to meeting you there! :smile:
Really appreciate the info, I can start sight reading without feeling the pressure to be a master at it before September.

Me to bruh! Going to be a blast I'm sure :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending