The Student Room Group

11th March: Eating disorders

We're talking about eating disorders on this week's Surgery.

Do you have experience of living with an eating disorder? Or maybe you have a friend or relative who has been through something similar - how did you support them?

Leave your stories, thoughts and experiences here…..

Please note anything you do discuss on this page/forum may be used on the Radio 1 show or on the BBC Advice pages.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is an emotional response to not bieng emotionally by your family. It can be triggered at any time in your life if not attended to.

I suffered many years. I am now 55 and found out what was making me do it. God its as clear as crystal now I can see.(abuse is cruel in the way it damages your percetion of what good behaviour is)The knowlege of what caused it has empoweerd me. The pain of who caused it is still there. My life has been lonely and a series of unloving abusive men.
Now I feel free and fragile, its great and scarey.It took along time but
I dont think today people will suffer as long. Its fabulous having cyber help, pscotherapy etc. There was nothing like this when I was growing up trying to fit in an adult world. I spent every day chastising myself for bieng me.

My perpective has not only changed in the last 5 years but how I handle it.Its an on going process.

But I am lucky too. I have always worked. I am easily in love. I easily laugh. I care. I am easily pleased with the beauty of nature,animals. the goodness of people are treasures to me. I love my 2 grown up boys and my beautiful 18yr old dog. And I love my very very confused parents.
yes my friend staying with me in the hostel room has got problem in eating.sometimes he says he cant eat because he is feeling burning in stomach
I didn't know I had an eating disorder. Sometimes I'm still not sure whether I do or not. But given I do struggle a lot with my weight, and multiple medical professionals have told me I do, then I guess my story is something relevant.

I've been underweight for as long as I can remember. Being tall and thin is how I've only ever known myself. The type of thin which gets people commenting on it - positively and negatively. When I was in secondary school and we were no longer forced into going for school lunches, I stopped going to them, being a fussy eater and rarely wanting to eat what they would give us. So I became known as the anorexic one (though I can safely say at this point in my life I was in no way anorexic; a combination of being unpopular, unusually thin and skipping that one particular meal lead to that conclusion).

I was getting on okay until I left school and started university, and there I became cripplingly lonely. Crippling loneliness lead to depression, and depression stopped me eating. I would not have the energy to eat, or the energy to cook, or to go into the kitchen and risk having to talk with other people in my flat. And so I just got by by snacking around a bit.

In the summer term, I started exercising as a way to combat my depression - and it worked wonders. My appetite was up not only because I was going to the gym and properly exerting energy, but I felt like I could "justify" the food I was eating, and here emerged another problem. I started to work out whether I "deserved" what I was eating (had I been active enough during the day?) and whether the balance was viable. I wanted to eat enough, but not to exceed that enoughness. As it happens, these symptoms tend to be far less intrusive when I'm at home, when my depression is significantly less prominent. I would say my issue is with depression first and foremost; the eating problems are a co-morbid symptom.

The beginning of this academic year marked my worst part so far. I completely shut down and lost a significant amount of weight (at 5'7'', I was 46kg at my lowest mark). My clothes stopped fitting, which made me feel worse. I hated myself and how thin I was, but at the same time, I didn't want to put the weight on again. I started CBT (initially due to trichotillomania, something I'd had for years) and that was when everything else began to unfold; I'd just been taking my behaviour as normal until then.

As it stands currently, I'm still struggling. I'm weighing in at about 49kg, with one of my CBT goals being to eat 3 meals every day as far as possible, but it's difficult. I've come to the realisation in having to be weighed weekly that I'm neither happy gaining nor losing weight - losing weight is unhealthy, and I recognise that, but gaining weight feels like losing a part of who I've always been and what I've defined myself as, a constant when I've yet to figure myself out properly. I am hopeful, though. I don't want to fix my weight itself. I want to fix my mentality surrounding food and work on getting a stable and healthy diet, and to figure out myself more so I don't need to cling to this notion of extreme thinness I've held since childhood. As I said, I'm making very positive steps, and I'm hoping that myself in the future will be a happier person, and I'm starting to believe she will be.
Original post by BBC Radio 1

Do you have experience of living with an eating disorder? Or maybe you have a friend or relative who has been through something similar - how did you support them?

I struggled with anorexia and bulimia for 5 years as a result of hating what I saw in the mirror. It's funny how people think having an eating disorder is a choice, how it's something I actually wanted to do to my body. It's a little voice telling you you're fat, you need to lose weight and that no one will love you unless you're skinny.

I found it hard to maintain relationships and the thought of physical intimacy scared me in case they thought my body was disgusting. I self harmed on top of it all due to not being able to talk about how i was really feeling and to release the anger i had built up. Nothing seemed to help & no one could make me feel better.

Although ive recovered now the memories come back in waves sometimes, like flashbacks. I'm still struggling to accept my body but i no longer binge and purge which has made a huge difference. I've still a long way to go until i can fully accept what i have and what i don't have, but im just grateful im still here today.
Yes . I understand. I used to eat when I felt lonely. I still do but it is under control. Keep strong you will conquer this. you are doing so well xx
Reply 6
I have an eating disorder that few people have heard of or take seriously called Selective Eating Disorder. It's like being a fussy eater, but on a huge scale. I rarely try new foods, and instead just assume I won't like them. If I try a food and I don't like it, for example broccoli, I assume that I don't like all vegetables and exclude the whole food group. I also don't like certain foods based on things like their texture, feeling or sight rather than taste. For example, I don't like chicken because the texture makes me gag. The only time I eat chicken is if it is processed or has breadcrumbs/batter on it.

There is an article with a great table comparing the differences between SED and typical fussy eating: http://mealtimehostage.com/2012/12/13/picky-eating-vs-selective-eating-disorder/

Having this disorder, I rarely ever eat at restaurants and stuff like that, because I'm lucky if there is one dish that I like there. This therefore impacts on my social life. I'm also nervous about eating at uni with people who don't know me, who may think it is odd how fussy I can be with food.
Whilst I dont think its an eating disorder, the issue I have is one that links strongly with food. Im a hypochondriac, and terrified of getting food poisoning - so I tend to eat badly / skip meals. I can't eat certain meats full stop, as I dont believe they've been cooked properly, or think i've stored it wrong, or maybe even it was contaminated before it got to the supermarket. Going out to eat terrifies me, as I dont know how the food is prepared. I can't eat from take aways that I haven't been to before... and even still the takeaways I know are okay, I won't ever eat the chicken or prawns available.

Then there comes the times when you're eating a meal, and start to question whether or not its gone bad... and you start to feel the symptoms of food poisoning. Then you start worrying you're going to get sick, and are googling whether or not you have the symptoms of it (as you do 4/7 nights a week). Then you decide to throw your dinner in the bin, and just eat bread for dinner. But only if its bread thats been recently bought, if its anywhere near the sell by date it could have minute specs of mould.. and that would make you sick. So the bread sometimes goes in the bin too.

The freezer - absolutely not. Defrost something to eat one day, then forget to use it? Despite people telling you over and over it will be fine, you dont risk it - so a solid 40% of the stuff you end up buying goes in the bin, even though its perfectly fine - because you know if you eat it the anxiety will kick in, and you'll end up convincing yourself you have food poisoning, and be then exhibiting the symptoms.

And thats where the social aspect of it comes in; housemates, parents, friends begin to question why you're losing weight, or won't go to dinner with them. They complain and moan that you are wasting food, and dont understand that its not because you just dont want it but its because you are too scared to eat it, a concept that most people just simply dont understand. They think you're a fussy eater, you're just being a wimp, or playing up for attention.

So you just learn to say nothing - cook the food you do need to cook until its so burnt and disgusting that you know its cooked. At the same time; you start to learn that mealtimes aren't something to be enjoyed, its something that makes you concerned, anxious and worried. You wake up and think, oh god what am I going to have for dinner today.

Its hard, and people dont understand - but everyone has their demons. Its just something you have to live with.
I am learning to live with my demons. I now view it as a privelige. It was accepting them that helped me.
I don't know if i have an eating disorder but my weight and food is definitely something i struggle with. There was a time were i'd vomit (purge) things i ate (i remember downing a bottle of expired milk of magnesia for the laxative effect) but nowadays i heavily restrict to 100-500 calories and/or fast for like a week then i'll binge on 2500+ calories in one sitting, then i won't care, then i'll go back to restricting. Silly cycle. I am slowly loosing weight though with each cycle.
Pro Ana/Pro Mia sites are said to be negative things but i've always felt they are incredibly supportive communities that actually do not trigger me to restrict the number of calories i eat.
I'm a normal weight so i feel like if i talked about it no one would take me seriously but god i feel awful during the periods i restrict.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by King Boo
Whilst I dont think its an eating disorder, the issue I have is one that links strongly with food. Im a hypochondriac, and terrified of getting food poisoning - so I tend to eat badly / skip meals. I can't eat certain meats full stop, as I dont believe they've been cooked properly, or think i've stored it wrong, or maybe even it was contaminated before it got to the supermarket. Going out to eat terrifies me, as I dont know how the food is prepared. I can't eat from take aways that I haven't been to before... and even still the takeaways I know are okay, I won't ever eat the chicken or prawns available.

Then there comes the times when you're eating a meal, and start to question whether or not its gone bad... and you start to feel the symptoms of food poisoning. Then you start worrying you're going to get sick, and are googling whether or not you have the symptoms of it (as you do 4/7 nights a week). Then you decide to throw your dinner in the bin, and just eat bread for dinner. But only if its bread thats been recently bought, if its anywhere near the sell by date it could have minute specs of mould.. and that would make you sick. So the bread sometimes goes in the bin too.

The freezer - absolutely not. Defrost something to eat one day, then forget to use it? Despite people telling you over and over it will be fine, you dont risk it - so a solid 40% of the stuff you end up buying goes in the bin, even though its perfectly fine - because you know if you eat it the anxiety will kick in, and you'll end up convincing yourself you have food poisoning, and be then exhibiting the symptoms.

And thats where the social aspect of it comes in; housemates, parents, friends begin to question why you're losing weight, or won't go to dinner with them. They complain and moan that you are wasting food, and dont understand that its not because you just dont want it but its because you are too scared to eat it, a concept that most people just simply dont understand. They think you're a fussy eater, you're just being a wimp, or playing up for attention.

So you just learn to say nothing - cook the food you do need to cook until its so burnt and disgusting that you know its cooked. At the same time; you start to learn that mealtimes aren't something to be enjoyed, its something that makes you concerned, anxious and worried. You wake up and think, oh god what am I going to have for dinner today.

Its hard, and people dont understand - but everyone has their demons. Its just something you have to live with.

You've just summed up my life.

The worst bit is trying to convince people that it's NOT because I think I'm fat!

I DO NOT have an eating disorder. It is just an anxiety that limits my food intake, but it is NOT because I don't want to eat. I can eat as much as I like of things like packaged foods, for example, but they're not always freely available.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You've just summed up my life.

The worst bit is trying to convince people that it's NOT because I think I'm fat!

I DO NOT have an eating disorder. It is just an anxiety that limits my food intake, but it is NOT because I don't want to eat. I can eat as much as I like of things like packaged foods, for example, but they're not always freely available.

Yup - " oh you just like wasting food, you're just fussy - stop being so SILLY. "

People dont understand it, and simply dont respect it the way they would if I said i had anorexia. The only types of meals I can eat happily is slightly burnt pizza, or ready meals. Thats the irony of it, ready meals.. so I dont know what its prepped like. I dont know what the deal is with my anxiety. I can eat crisps and sweets and chocolate, ryveta and philadelphia.

It sucks. Its nice to know its not only me though, i've never met someone else who has the same problem.
When I was in Year 10, I was massively insecure about my looks and weight even though I was a healthy weight. I simply hated how some of the other girls in my year were slim and they were so pretty too and I wasn't. I became depressed over it and my self esteem hit rock bottom. I remember one day, I came home feeling like crap and I ate a whole jar of chocolate spread and a whole loaf of bread. I felt happy at first then when I saw how bloated and fat my stomach was in the mirror, I walked to my bathroom,locked the door and forced myself to throw up by jabbing two fingers down my throat. I felt so weak afterwards but I had triggered myself into a vicious cycle. Everyday, when I came home from school, I'd go into the fridge and then I would literally force myself to throw up or eat loads of laxatives. I remember just in a day I ate like 30 laxatives because I became so paranoid over my weight...I would sometimes get some horrible comments from a few family members, ("Oh look she's going to waste the food again.") and it hurt me so badly. I became bulimic in March and I purged for the last time in October the following year. Haven't looked back since
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not keen on sharing my story, but here's an ode to those who have an eating disorder but don't look the part. Having roles of fat didn't make me any less liable to shove fingers down my throat and go days eating just leaves than someone who's ribs were protruding. A special thanks to my sister for pointing out that she hadn't seen me eat in weeks in front of everyone at a family gathering, and an accolade to my father for saying that 'that's probably for the best' and that people of my weight could only have overeating disorders.

I was 14, 5'6" and 151 pounds.
Original post by BBC Radio 1

I have had an eating disorder for 5-6 years now. It developed in grade 11 when after losing a bunch of weight, I didn't want to gain it back. So I restricted my eating, and didn't eat well. Everyone complimented me and I finally had confidence and "self worth".

I kept on losing weight and by the end of my grade 12 year I was 90 lbs, 5'4. I hadn't had my menstrual cycle for 2 years. I was cold, tried, hungry, light headed but that was okay because I was skinny. To divert my attention away from the sickly feelings I concentrated on my studies.

After a lot of pressure from several people after many many months, I started eating again. It was a binge everday. It was really terrible and led to a binge restrict cycle for 2-3 years. I shut myself up in my house and refused to see people until I lost the weight because I was afraid they would judge me for losing control and getting fat again.

After many many months of my parents trying to persuade me to get out and complete my schooling (I dropped out of Highschool once binge-eating started), I went to adult learning services to complete my courses. I got into university and the binge eating started affecting my studying there. I fell behind and then needed to talk to my advisor. There I opened up about my eating issues (despite my mother telling me not too, since she thought that my advisor would think it was stupid) and started getting help for it. A year later now I'm fairing much better and I still struggle with ED but I am accepting myself more, have totally lost the calorie counting habit (food is just food, not numbers!) and I do have my days/weeks when I'm focused on food but I'm getting there.

I just want to say never give up. It's hard living with ED but you have to find and talk to people who won't judge you and will help you through it. Exercise helped me a lot too, without it I go into depression and that's when ED (eating disorder) is strongest. So for me exercise keeps me level headed and helps me rationally think/talk my way out of E.D (ie. thinking to myself to work through the problems I have about myself).
Original post by Crystalz
I don't know if i have an eating disorder but my weight and food is definitely something i struggle with. There was a time were i'd vomit (purge) things i ate (i remember downing a bottle of expired milk of magnesia for the laxative effect) but nowadays i heavily restrict to 100-500 calories and/or fast for like a week then i'll binge on 2500+ calories in one sitting, then i won't care, then i'll go back to restricting. Silly cycle. I am slowly loosing weight though with each cycle.
Pro Ana/Pro Mia sites are said to be negative things but i've always felt they are incredibly supportive communities that actually do not trigger me to restrict the number of calories i eat.
I'm a normal weight so i feel like if i talked about it no one would take me seriously but god i feel awful during the periods i restrict.

You have an eating disorder...
Original post by Sammi_K?
You have an eating disorder...

I'm a bit apprehensive about self diagnosing. Until i'm diagnosed i can't say i do, i can say however, that i have an extremely unhealthy relationship with food
Original post by Sammi_K?

After a lot of pressure from several people after many many months, I started eating again. It was a binge everday. It was really terrible and led to a binge restrict cycle for 2-3 years. I shut myself up in my house and refused to see people until I lost the weight because I was afraid they would judge me for losing control and getting fat again.

Same, i sometimes refuse to see certain people, especially males, unless i'm at a certain weight.
Your experience sounds awful i'm glad to hear you are recovering though
Original post by King Boo
Yup - " oh you just like wasting food, you're just fussy - stop being so SILLY. "

People dont understand it, and simply dont respect it the way they would if I said i had anorexia. The only types of meals I can eat happily is slightly burnt pizza, or ready meals. Thats the irony of it, ready meals.. so I dont know what its prepped like. I dont know what the deal is with my anxiety. I can eat crisps and sweets and chocolate, ryveta and philadelphia.

It sucks. Its nice to know its not only me though, i've never met someone else who has the same problem.

Yeah there are some things I can eat and others I can't, for reasons that seem vaguely logical to me, but if I thought more into it I'm sure I could come up with reasons not to eat more things.. best not though!!!!

The problem is, sometimes when I'm at my partner's he'll have some chocolate to share (maybe in a packet) but as soon as his hand's been in the packet I can't have any more. So mine have to go in a bowl, or I have to hand them to him :'). He doesn't mind, but sometimes he puts his hand in without thinking, and then I don't get any!

Luckily I live in a house where any food I don't eat will never go to waste :P. And it works in the favour of my family as I volunteer to do all the cooking! I am trying to address my issues and think WHY I'm like this.

I have been vegetarian for a couple of years because meat seems too risky to me. But I'm slowly trying to try bits.
I binged when stressed and then would starve myself to punish myself for being so bad.
But the food I was eating when binging was so calorie rich that I became obese.

I'm now losing my weight but seem to have developed this strong impulse to vomit after eating sometimes. I'll either want to go to the toilet to puke or I'll get the very strong urge to make myself do it with my fingers.

Quick Reply

Latest