The Student Room Group

Depressed and I've missed 2 months of university.

I've missed two months of university.

I've been feeling really down, unmotivated, helpless, hopeless, pointless, lazy, boring, guilty, and like everything I'm going to do is going to turn out bad. My mum persuaded me to make an appointment with the doctor and I've been diagnosed as depressed. The gp gave me medication and a number to call for counselling.

I'm in my third year of a teaching degree and I have a deadline in 2 weeks time. I'm also supposed to be collecting data for another module (research project), but I haven't done anything and it's supposed to be completed - and that includes all the data analysed - by the end of March (the final deadline is the end of April).

I'm so behind in all my work and I feel like I can't approach my personal development tutor. I did email her and set up a meeting, but the only day she is available is on the day my assignment is due in and I feel like that's too late.

As this is my final year, it's crucial that I get good grades. I've already handed in one assignment and the grade I got on that was disappointing so if I don't do well in my next few assignments it will bring my entire final % for the year down.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I feel like I won't be able to catch up in time and I don't want to drop out of university altogether.

Please help, I'm desperate.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by kaykayM
I've missed two months of university.

I've been feeling really down, unmotivated, helpless, hopeless, pointless, lazy, boring, guilty, and like everything I'm going to do is going to turn out bad. My mum persuaded me to make an appointment with the doctor and I've been diagnosed as depressed. The gp gave me medication and a number to call for counselling.

I'm in my third year of a teaching degree and I have a deadline in 2 weeks time. I'm also supposed to be collecting data for another module (research project), but I haven't done anything and it's supposed to be completed - and that includes all the data analysed - by the end of March (the final deadline is the end of April).

I'm so behind in all my work and I feel like I can't approach my personal development tutor. I did email her and set up a meeting, but the only day she is available is on the day my assignment is due in and I feel like that's too late.

As this is my final year, it's crucial that I get good grades. I've already handed in one assignment and the grade I got on that was disappointing so if I don't do well in my next few assignments it will bring my entire final % for the year down.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I feel like I won't be able to catch up in time and I don't want to drop out of university altogether.

Please help, I'm desperate.

Thank you.

I don't know if this is right advice, but I would say take some time off. If you cite a health reason, I'm sure you'll gain more time for your assignment. Unis have that principle.
Take the time t talk with your counselor and do whatever you want to do- eat, read draw, scream- anything that lets of frustration/ makes you feel a couple of degrees better. Simultaneously, work on your assignment- a fresh start.
Good luck! Your health is the most important thing. Take care of it!!
Reply 2
Original post by Ashtwe
I don't know if this is right advice, but I would say take some time off. If you cite a health reason, I'm sure you'll gain more time for your assignment. Unis have that principle.
Take the time t talk with your counselor and do whatever you want to do- eat, read draw, scream- anything that lets of frustration/ makes you feel a couple of degrees better. Simultaneously, work on your assignment- a fresh start.
Good luck! Your health is the most important thing. Take care of it!!

Thank you, I'm just waiting for a response from my tutor but what you've described sounds good.

Quick Reply

Latest