The Student Room Group

Accommodation DSA Question

Hi all. I'm in year 12 and was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and severe anaemia. I have a few questions about Crohn's in relation to uni and disabled finance, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience they'd be able to share with me.

1) Do I need to pay prescription charges? I currently need around 1 prescription per fortnight and I really can't afford to pay £7 odd each time.

2) Has anyone had any experience in claiming DSA? I reckon an en-suite would be best for me, but yet again, I come from a low wealth family and would struggle to pay for the higher price, so I'm hoping they'd put the difference. Would I found out if they would before applying for accommodation?

3) Would I need to contact the hospital in my uni's area in advance because of my condition?

4) Any general advice to do with IBD and uni?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any replies would be appreciated.
Original post by ryanroks1

1) Do I need to pay prescription charges? I currently need around 1 prescription per fortnight and I really can't afford to pay £7 odd each time.

You're exempt if you're under 19 and in full time education, which does include uni. If you need more than 13 items in one year, you can get a pre pay prescription card. You can pay for this in 10 installments.
Reply 2
By the time you get to uni it is possible that DSA will not cover any accommodation costs, however this has yet to finalised. If DSA continues to funds accommodation it will only cover the additional cost of an en-suite room over a standard room, if evidence supports this as a need.
When I was a first year it covered the extra cost of the cheapest en-suite room over the most expensive standard room. But that might have changed in nearly 3 years. The best thing to do would be to contact the disabled students support unit (might be called something different) when you decide on a uni and they'll help you with your DSA application. Unlike some benefits the assessment is not there to 'catch you out' but instead to make sure you get the help you need.
Sorry this is months late but:

1) The advice above is good- you are exempt till your 19th birthday definiately. Beyond your 19th This depends on the state of your Crohn's disease. You do not specify what your prescription is for. However if you have or ever get a colostomy or illeosypmy bag as a result of your crohns you will be exempt (hope this really does not happen). Second to this when you leave home for uni you may be eligible for the NHS low income scheme this can significantly reduce the cost of your prescriptions. And as said above if these options do not apply you would definitely save on costs with a prepayment certificate which everyone can get it is just opt in.

2) Yes the DSA can help with the costs of ensuite rooms in halls. However- the dsa planned to change this regulation for September 2016 so just try the worst that can happen is you get refused. Also, although the regulation was intended to change- the changes are aimed at making universities responsible for catering for their own disabled/ students with additional needs so you may by some miracle find your uni will help with the cost of the dsa does not due to regulation change.

3) Entirely your choice- personally (I have a heart condition and a bowl problem) I will continue to be seen by my current consultants. But both my conditions are very stable so I only visit hospital around 5-6 a year as an outpatient. And my hospital is a direct train of about 2.5hrs from my chosen University. Things to consider in your choice: how many times do I have to visit hospital, am I likely to need inpatient care, things get lost transferring to a new consultant is changing going to have a measurably negative impact on care quality and how easy is it to go see my current consultant.

4) can be of no help here- I have a congenitally static oversized bowl with chronic overflow incontinence (controlled by stoma) not IBD. Just have a few friends with crohns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending