The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff accommodation

Hi my son is starting September doing software engineering. We are looking at accommodation,
Back story- he’s autistic and adhd needs en-suite which is the best option for him at present he’s looking towards senghenneydd court.
Original post by Lofty77
Hi my son is starting September doing software engineering. We are looking at accommodation,
Back story- he’s autistic and adhd needs en-suite which is the best option for him at present he’s looking towards senghenneydd court.

Hi there!

Congratulations to your son! Cardiff is a lovely place to study :smile: Is your son studying for undergraduate or postgraduate? As our Senghennydd Court accommodation is postgraduate only for ensuite, unfortunately. If you're looking for university-owned student accommodation rather than private, I'd recommend having a look at the Talybont complex.

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hi there!

Congratulations to your son! Cardiff is a lovely place to study :smile: Is your son studying for undergraduate or postgraduate? As our Senghennydd Court accommodation is postgraduate only for ensuite, unfortunately. If you're looking for university-owned student accommodation rather than private, I'd recommend having a look at the Talybont complex.

Thank you for the reply he’s undergraduate I’ll get him to look at Talybont. How far is Talybontt from the computing area. Also would he be still allowed to stay in student accommodation in year 2 and 3 as he really needs to stay where en-suite is a must for full three years due to health issues
Original post by Lofty77
Thank you for the reply he’s undergraduate I’ll get him to look at Talybont. How far is Talybontt from the computing area. Also would he be still allowed to stay in student accommodation in year 2 and 3 as he really needs to stay where en-suite is a must for full three years due to health issues

So the Talybont buildings are about a 15-20 minute walk to Abacws, which is the building that software engineering is based in. I would say that it would be best to contact the Residences Office at [email protected] to ask about whether he'd be allowed to stay in the same accommodation. There are private halls though, which is student accommodation that is hosted by external companies (not associated with the university). Many of these can still be quite affordable and offer ensuite. You are able to re-apply for these accommodations (so you can be in the exact same room for year 2 and 3, as long as you reapply early enough). I'd recommend looking into these if adjustment into different accommodations in later years isn't too much of a worry.

Reply 4
Is your son doing the BSc Applied Software Engineering course, as I believe that particular course is taught in the National Software Academy in Newport (unless it's moved to the Abacws - though the course page still says National Software Academy)
Original post by Pedr0
Is your son doing the BSc Applied Software Engineering course, as I believe that particular course is taught in the National Software Academy in Newport (unless it's moved to the Abacws - though the course page still says National Software Academy)

Hi, thank you for bringing this to my attention! It seems that you are right - the site still does say the National Software Academy, although the school is based in Abacws.

@Lofty77 I've contacted the School of Computer Science & Informatics to double check this, and hopefully they'll get back to me soon :smile:

Reply 6
Hi there. I would contact the University and find out if they have a disability department some even have a neurodiversity department. Some Universities offer subsidised accommodation if you can show that it is needed due to a disability and this includes autism. For example you can get an ensuite for the same cost as a standard room. Some will let you keep accommodation for the completion of the course.

You can also get extra time in exams which I'm sure you are already aware of and other adjustments such as using a computer, having a quieter space in hall for exams or even a completely different room. Some offer online 1:1 Mentoring and lots of other support which is really useful in the first year in particular when you are settling in. It's important to also find out about getting permission to speak on your son's behalf. There is usually some sort of form you need to complete for this but it's really useful if your son for example has difficulties with communication, making telephone calls to maintenance for example if something is wrong with room or any other difficulties. Hope this helps.

Edited to say: Don't forget about DSA (Disabled Student Allowance) which includes providing the support for 1:1 Mentoring
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Hi, Cardiff have a department to support students who may face issues, we met with Lena who was very helpful, supportive and encouraging. [email protected]
Good luck.
Reply 8
Original post by Snowwh
Hi there. I would contact the University and find out if they have a disability department some even have a neurodiversity department. Some Universities offer subsidised accommodation if you can show that it is needed due to a disability and this includes autism. For example you can get an ensuite for the same cost as a standard room. Some will let you keep accommodation for the completion of the course.
You can also get extra time in exams which I'm sure you are already aware of and other adjustments such as using a computer, having a quieter space in hall for exams or even a completely different room. Some offer online 1:1 Mentoring and lots of other support which is really useful in the first year in particular when you are settling in. It's important to also find out about getting permission to speak on your son's behalf. There is usually some sort of form you need to complete for this but it's really useful if your son for example has difficulties with communication, making telephone calls to maintenance for example if something is wrong with room or any other difficulties. Hope this helps.
Edited to say: Don't forget about DSA (Disabled Student Allowance) which includes providing the support for 1:1 Mentoring
Thanks so much for the reply will definitely look into this as due to medical issues he will need an en-suite
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hi, thank you for bringing this to my attention! It seems that you are right - the site still does say the National Software Academy, although the school is based in Abacws.
@Lofty77 I've contacted the School of Computer Science & Informatics to double check this, and hopefully they'll get back to me soon :smile:
Hi! Just to add on to this, the school has replied, and they have confirmed that the course is taught in Cardiff, as the NSA in Newport is now closed. So, you'd be probably looking at ensuites in Cardiff, like the one's I've suggested above :smile:

Here is more info on the DSA and what things they/the university may be able to offer help with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending