The Student Room Group

PICU experiences: what would you have changed?

So I've landed a job as a mental health support worker on a psychiatric intensive care unit, and while I'm waiting to start work I'm trying to get myself as clued up as possible about what it'll be like, how I can make patients' experiences more positive, and any dos and don'ts of working there.

I've actually been inpatient on a psychiatric ward myself (fate dictates that it's the ward next-door to the one I'll be working on :lol:) a few years ago, so I know a bit about the boredom, boredom, boredom and occasional person obsessed with setting off the fire alarm. :moon:

However I've never spent any time on the intensive care ward, and would really appreciate anyone's experiences they're willing to share. E.g. what brought/kept you there, how long did you stay, do you remember any particularly positive/negative interactions with staff and other patients, did you get involved in any ward activities...?

Thanks for any help. :smile:

:animal:
Will write an answer when I have access to a computer (Im crap at typing on my phone.. :tongue: ) but IPCU has some of my worst ever memories. Probably not what you want to hear though! :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
Will write an answer when I have access to a computer (Im crap at typing on my phone.. :tongue: ) but IPCU has some of my worst ever memories. Probably not what you want to hear though! :s-smilie:

Nah, I'm not expecting people to have had the time of their lives while inpatient, I think it goes without saying that if you're on a psych ward then your life isn't exactly peachy. :tongue: I'd really appreciate your honest experiences, and how you feel you were treated, whether well or badly.

In particular, did you feel you were treated with respect/dignity/as a human being? Was there anything you felt helped in particular, or that could have been done but wasn't?

You're an absolute star by the way sherbet! :lovehug:
Reply 3
Some of the mh support workers I have had in these places have been great and really caring - one even brought me in ear plugs from home.

Others have just been glorified bouncers with no interest in the nursing aspects of the job and have treated me and other patients roughly and with contempt.

A lot of problems on the wards can't be solved by members of staff I.e. shortage of nurses, poor conditions and lack of funds but I think being able to empathise with acutely ill patients and see the humanity in them stands anyone in good stead in that job.

Good on you for doing it because ot is a tough job and important that people do it and want to do it well. I am sure you will meet colleagues with the same attitude but also some to who it is just like a security job.
Reply 4
Original post by Jay84
Some of the mh support workers I have had in these places have been great and really caring - one even brought me in ear plugs from home.

Others have just been glorified bouncers with no interest in the nursing aspects of the job and have treated me and other patients roughly and with contempt.

A lot of problems on the wards can't be solved by members of staff I.e. shortage of nurses, poor conditions and lack of funds but I think being able to empathise with acutely ill patients and see the humanity in them stands anyone in good stead in that job.

Good on you for doing it because ot is a tough job and important that people do it and want to do it well. I am sure you will meet colleagues with the same attitude but also some to who it is just like a security job.

Thanks Jay, I'll do my best! :smile:
I have just recently spent time in PICU.

I found the staff largely disinterested which was difficult.

I think spending time listening to patients is important.

Being around to get stuff is helpful (on PICU I was on you couldn't get yourself a drink and your belongings were locked away) and it was frustrating waiting sometimes hours just to get a pen or a top or something.

Don't try and fix people, I found staff telling me to be positive and think about my husband to be patronising. I find it more helpful when staff accept it is a difficult time for me and offer support around that.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I have just recently spent time in PICU.

I found the staff largely disinterested which was difficult.

I think spending time listening to patients is important.

Being around to get stuff is helpful (on PICU I was on you couldn't get yourself a drink and your belongings were locked away) and it was frustrating waiting sometimes hours just to get a pen or a top or something.

Don't try and fix people, I found staff telling me to be positive and think about my husband to be patronising. I find it more helpful when staff accept it is a difficult time for me and offer support around that.

Thanks for that insight, it's really helpful. :smile:
The difference between the PICU and the normal wards I've been on is the restrictions. It's very dehumanising to have someone watch you shower, take all your clothes and belongings and constantly monitor you.

Apart from that the boredom, the lack of contact with staff and the way you're dealt with is the same on both types of wards.
Reply 8
Original post by Noodlzzz
The difference between the PICU and the normal wards I've been on is the restrictions. It's very dehumanising to have someone watch you shower, take all your clothes and belongings and constantly monitor you.

Apart from that the boredom, the lack of contact with staff and the way you're dealt with is the same on both types of wards.

Thanks for sharing Noodlzzz. :smile:
To add to my earlier post.

Know your limitations. The reality is that you will restrain people, you will have to put limits on what people do - that is the nature of PICU, it is an incredibly restrictive environment for the most unwell (although of course I would argue that I was not unwell enough to be in PICU!) I think just caring and being realistic is the best you can hope for from an HCA. I am still in hospital at the moment (transferred from PICU a month ago) and the nurses, HCAs who acknowledge that I am feeling crap and that it won't change overnight are the ones I find the most helpful. They are optomistic for my recovery but they also validate that I am feeling very low.

Quick Reply

Latest