The Student Room Group

M2: Centres of Mass

Hi there, i'm really having a struggle with question 3 of this exam paper:
http://ocr.org.uk/Images/62242-question-paper-unit-4729-mechanics-2.pdf
The mark scheme is very vague as is the textbook we use, therefore I would really appreciate some guidance as to the method I should be using. Many thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Hinicetomeetyou
Hi there, i'm really having a struggle with question 3 of this exam paper:
http://ocr.org.uk/Images/62242-question-paper-unit-4729-mechanics-2.pdf
The mark scheme is very vague as is the textbook we use, therefore I would really appreciate some guidance as to the method I should be using. Many thanks in advance!

have been taught how to do this type of problem in particular way?
Original post by TeeEm
have been taught how to do this type of problem in particular way?

From what I remember of learning it, we either used moments or weighted averages. Any method would be extremely useful for me to be honest :smile: It is rather confusing to me :frown:
Reply 3
From what I remember of learning it, we either used moments or weighted averages. Any method would be extremely useful for me to be honest :smile: It is rather confusing to me :frown:

It looks like you need quite a bit of help with this topic and I will be off line soon.

I hope you get help soon but in the meantime look at some solved examples at this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m2_centre_of_mass.pdf
The position of the centre of mass of a uniform object, which is composed of multiple parts, can be calculated as the mean position of the centres of mass of the individual parts.

The square and the equilateral triangle are both symmetrical shapes.

Can you go from there?
Original post by MangoFreak
The position of the centre of mass of a uniform object, which is composed of multiple parts, can be calculated as the mean position of the centres of mass of the individual parts.

The square and the equilateral triangle are both symmetrical shapes.

Can you go from there?

I did quite a lot of searching on the net and that was what I thought too, but thank you. I came out with completely the wrong answer to be honest. I'll try and upload what I did and you could perhaps tell me where I went wrong?
I did quite a lot of searching on the net and that was what I thought too, but thank you. I came out with completely the wrong answer to be honest. I'll try and upload what I did and you could perhaps tell me where I went wrong?

I don't want to just give you the answer but I'll try to help you :smile:
:/
The shape is symmetrical in one direction, right? So the centre of mass will be somewhere along the line of symmetry.
The shape is symmetrical in one direction, right? So the centre of mass will be somewhere along the line of symmetry.

Thanks, i'll give it another stab
Thanks, i'll give it another stab

Good luck :smile: I'll try to answer any questions. I'm just trying really hard to find ways of helping without giving the answer straight out :tongue:
Good luck :smile: I'll try to answer any questions. I'm just trying really hard to find ways of helping without giving the answer straight out :tongue:

I get that, and I am grateful, I mean I don't want the answer anyway, i'm working through the paper making worked solutions for all of these for my own benefit, but the teaching for this topic, as well as my own capability in mechanics are appalling. And so I'm at a bit of a loss. Am I supposed to be taking a weighted mean of the two "centres of mass" (of the two shapes to find the actual centre) or am I wrong on that?
I get that, and I am grateful, I mean I don't want the answer anyway, i'm working through the paper making worked solutions for all of these for my own benefit, but the teaching for this topic, as well as my own capability in mechanics are appalling. And so I'm at a bit of a loss. Am I supposed to be taking a weighted mean of the two "centres of mass" (of the two shapes to find the actual centre) or am I wrong on that?

You should be doing that, yeah :smile:
Try taking the line AC as x = 0.

Thanks very much for all the help but I'm not getting anywhere :frown: I really have no idea what it is that i'm doing wrong.

Ok I finally figured it out, I was just being extremely stupid!:biggrin: thanks v much

Quick Reply

Latest