The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Should I really be weary of St Andrews?

I am trying to decide between Aberdeen and St Andrews for medicine, and seem to like St A's but feel so conflicted as I've heard many negative things about it. It seems like a friendly, fun, almost eccentric place with lots of active clubs and societies and engaged students. Is this true? I am from a suburb of Glasgow so used to the city life, which I enjoy, but on the other hand, I think I would like a small community if I liked the people with which I was in it.

Anything I really need to consider? Anyone who is pleased with or regrets their decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look into the town's nightlife, how populated the town is and I suppose which one ranks higher?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hey, current St Andrews first year student here. I'm also from a suburb of Glasgow, and yes it was a bit of a culture shock. I'm completely used to it now though.

The nightlife depends on your social group to be honest. Most drinking happens at pre-drinks. The biggest nights out are Wednesday and Friday. There's a ball like every month as well.

Some of the nicest people I've ever met in my life I've met here. It's a little bubble but a nice one :smile:
Original post by AspiringMedic8
I am trying to decide between Aberdeen and St Andrews for medicine, and seem to like St A's but feel so conflicted as I've heard many negative things about it. It seems like a friendly, fun, almost eccentric place with lots of active clubs and societies and engaged students. Is this true? I am from a suburb of Glasgow so used to the city life, which I enjoy, but on the other hand, I think I would like a small community if I liked the people with which I was in it.

Anything I really need to consider? Anyone who is pleased with or regrets their decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The medicine course here at St Andrews is great, you can't fault it :smile:
I think the student societies may actually be more lively than at most unis - as if to make up for how small the place is! Unless you can't live without the nightlife and/or culture of a big city, you will never be bored. Personally I have so many social and club things I want to do I actually struggle to fit them all in. It would be possible to be the same even if you never went to lectures and completely took the study part of uni out of the equation!

The bubble can start to feel claustrophobic towards the end of the semester though!

The only thing I'd warn you about is the scarcity and cost of accommodation here. There isn't enough uni accommodation for most people to stay in halls after first year. Most of us rent privately and finding decent accommodation at an affordable price is difficult and stressful (there's not much available) - although not impossible. If you want to come to St A don't let it put you off, just be aware of it and know you'll have to start flat hunting early.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I come from a large city as well, its been fantastic. From what you've said I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Hey! First year biologist at St Andrews here and can't say I'm overly impressed with the department. The town is lovely (although very small) but the actual course has been a bit of a disappointment. All work is marked by PHD students so is very inconsistant, this semester I have got a 9.5/20 and 18.0/20. Despite sending 3 emails I still haven't had any feeback to why I recieved such a low score! Also, many of the proffesors seem disinterested in lecturing as if we aren't worth their time. I really wish I gave Durham and Bristol more thought as they seemed just as nice on the open days but I was sucked in by the novelty of St Andrews!
Original post by lesterwatson
Hey! First year biologist at St Andrews here and can't say I'm overly impressed with the department. The town is lovely (although very small) but the actual course has been a bit of a disappointment. All work is marked by PHD students so is very inconsistant, this semester I have got a 9.5/20 and 18.0/20. Despite sending 3 emails I still haven't had any feeback to why I recieved such a low score! Also, many of the proffesors seem disinterested in lecturing as if we aren't worth their time. I really wish I gave Durham and Bristol more thought as they seemed just as nice on the open days but I was sucked in by the novelty of St Andrews!

I'm going to have to disagree with you based on the subject, at least for the OP who is studying medicine, St Andrews is a great place. Exams are fairly marked, standardized, curved and everything is organized on Galen, the school rarely misses a beat when it comes to administrative issues and is very responsive. From what i've heard about other medical schools, St Andrews really seems to do a good job with its course at least for medicine.

All lectures are taught by lecturers or professors, no PhD students or post-docs. Only our exams are graded so that is done by the professor who taught you that subject, and they only grade the question they chose for all students which essentially means your paper is graded by 15 assessors, which reduces bias.

The medical building was opened in 2010 and its essentially new, and all your classes are there.
I'm studying medicine and cannot fault the course.

Not such a fan of the town itself but everyone else seems to love it so I seem to be the anomaly. I'm living in Dundee next year and most people seem horrified at the idea, but I can't wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending