The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

MA English Literature at St Andrews

I am applying for 2022 entry, but I just wanted to gage how difficult admissions for St Andrews are - considering I know a lot of people who have been rejected + (if anyone has any) tips on admissions process, personal statement, etc.

I live in England, and study Economics, English Literature and History at A Level. I’m currently predicted A*A*A, but am hoping to retake my end of year exam in History in an attempt to boost my grade. At GCSE I got 10 9s and an 8. I attend an independent school. The thing is, I’m aware that my grades are pretty good, but it’s just that, I know people with similar grades who have been rejected (especially because within the context of a private school it’s less impressive) - so I’m just wondering if St Andrews places strong emphasis on personal statement/what to include/etc.?

Originally, I was considering applying to Oxford for English Language and Literature but tbh I don’t want the stress, and I’m considering switching to joint honours (so the Scottish universities are perfect - I like the idea of potentially switching to MA Economics and English). Idk, I really prefer having some flexibility and ability to take classes outside your subject - which feels a little narrow.

Anyway, I’m just really in love with the university after visiting and researching the course online. If any Enflish applicants to/students at St Andrews could answer I would be incredibly appreciative.
Original post by cakt-us
I am applying for 2022 entry, but I just wanted to gage how difficult admissions for St Andrews are - considering I know a lot of people who have been rejected + (if anyone has any) tips on admissions process, personal statement, etc.

I live in England, and study Economics, English Literature and History at A Level. I’m currently predicted A*A*A, but am hoping to retake my end of year exam in History in an attempt to boost my grade. At GCSE I got 10 9s and an 8. I attend an independent school. The thing is, I’m aware that my grades are pretty good, but it’s just that, I know people with similar grades who have been rejected (especially because within the context of a private school it’s less impressive) - so I’m just wondering if St Andrews places strong emphasis on personal statement/what to include/etc.?

Originally, I was considering applying to Oxford for English Language and Literature but tbh I don’t want the stress, and I’m considering switching to joint honours (so the Scottish universities are perfect - I like the idea of potentially switching to MA Economics and English). Idk, I really prefer having some flexibility and ability to take classes outside your subject - which feels a little narrow.

Anyway, I’m just really in love with the university after visiting and researching the course online. If any Enflish applicants to/students at St Andrews could answer I would be incredibly appreciative.

Hi, I applied for English this year, and got into Oxford, but was rejected by St Andrews (like many other people) very near the extended deadline. Similar GCSEs to you, and predicted 3 A*s for A-level. The only difference is that I went to a comprehensive. There was a lot of discussion on TSR as to whether going to an independent school was actually a negative, but that's difficult to gauge.

I don't know if this year was off-the-scale competitive and, if so, whether next year will be any less so (!), but if you've nerves of steel (for the extra-long wait) and a good back-up plan, go for it! The only definite is if you don't apply, you won't get in :wink:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by cakt-us

Hiya! I study English at St Andrews (going into my 3rd year this year). I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about applying or the English course in general :smile:
They definitely place stronger emphasis on the personal statement and application rather than grades. I received ABB at A level, and have a 2:1 English Lit degree from a mid-level uni in the UK, and I got an unconditional this year to do an MLitt starting this September. Showing relevant study into the subject and a passion for further/doctorate study is usually way more impressive than relying on your degree grade. Also, a top tip from one of my lecturers - name a specific lecturer that shares relevant interests in your personal statement, it will show you have a passion for the institution specifically and have already thought about further study that fits in with the staff there.
“I like the idea of potentially switching to MA Economics and English. Idk, I really prefer having some flexibility and ability to take classes outside your subject - which feels a little narrow.”

That sounds like 60% of an Economics degree plus 60% of an English literature degree, and a whole heap of work. Is interdisciplinarity key to your future ambitions?
Original post by cakt-us

unfortunately, st andrews seem to be rejecting almost everyone from independent schools these days regardless of how good their applications are. i would deffo still apply because it might be less competitive next year due to the lack of a COVID-related deferral factor.
(edited 2 years ago)
???
Reply 7
Original post by ellie1964
Hiya! I study English at St Andrews (going into my 3rd year this year). I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about applying or the English course in general :smile:

Hi, I’d love to apply for the English MA starting in 2022. Do you have any tips or things that you think I should know before applying? I attended the taster lecture given by Dr Alt and really liked it, and I’m predicted AAA for AL :smile:
Reply 8
If anyone stumbles across this post, it had a positive outcome! Just received an offer (AAA) from St Andrews and now I'm focusing on my A Levels. :smile: I ended up being predicted A*A*A*, am an RUK student, etc.
I know this was four months ago but congrats! I also have an offer for English and am just deciding whether to firm over Warwick. Whereabouts are you from in the UK? because I am from London and St. Andrews seems so far😭
Original post by ellarwilson
I know this was four months ago but congrats! I also have an offer for English and am just deciding whether to firm over Warwick. Whereabouts are you from in the UK? because I am from London and St. Andrews seems so far😭

Hi - my daughter is in a similar predicament this year - Warwick vs St Andrews for English . Just wondering what you decided in the end and how it’s going ? Thank you !
Original post by cakt-us
If anyone stumbles across this post, it had a positive outcome! Just received an offer (AAA) from St Andrews and now I'm focusing on my A Levels. :smile: I ended up being predicted A*A*A*, am an RUK student, etc.

Congrats! I know its a year late but was browsing this forum as my daughter plans to apply for English Literature with St Andrews her top choice. She got AAAAB in Scottish Highers and is doing 2 Advanced Highers and a Higher in final year of State school. ANy tips and pointers will be most helpful. Open day is in October! thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending