The Student Room Group

Are my university choices all too competetive?

I want to apply to Edinburgh, Bath, Manchester, Birmingham or Bristol, and st andrews or durham

the complete university guide says that the entry standards for st andrews are the same as southampton and edinburgh. But i find that very hard to believe because they're known for being hard to get into.

anyway what I wanted to ask was if these are a good selection of different universities or should I add more insurance options.

My a level grades are 3a* chem bio maths (im saying this in every thread i start but i feel its necessary for context lol)

i think my ps will be decent as i have work experience and i also have done a few coding projects and read books on theory

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im thinking that maybe instead of st andrews or durham i would replace this with birmingam/ bristol. so i would apply to both
We'd need to know the exact subject, (something COMPSCI related?), and grade requirements for each option to provide meaningful advice.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
We'd need to know the exact subject, (something COMPSCI related?), and grade requirements for each option to provide meaningful advice.

sorry for the lack of info lol. yes it is all for compsci bsc. entry requirements for them are all A*AA or A*A*A
Reply 4
The issue for compsci is that it is very oversubscribed. Plenty of people with great grades don’t get offers. This would be different were you applying for something like biochemistry.

The big question regarding insurance choices is how bothered you would be were you to take a gap year.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
The issue for compsci is that it is very oversubscribed. Plenty of people with great grades don’t get offers. This would be different were you applying for something like biochemistry.

The big question regarding insurance choices is how bothered you would be were you to take a gap year.

yeah but i dont want to do biochemistry. also i dont really get what you mean by the last sentence what do you mean by 'how bothered you would be were you to take a gap year'
Reply 6
Original post by omgwha
yeah but i dont want to do biochemistry. also i dont really get what you mean by the last sentence what do you mean by 'how bothered you would be were you to take a gap year'

If you chose to apply to 5 competitive universities there is a fair chance you will get no offers. Similarly if you drop a grade there is a fair chance they won’t accept you.

That is not fundamentally a reason not to apply for 5 top courses but you need to have considered the risk.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
If you chose to apply to 5 competitive universities there is a fair chance you will get no offers. Similarly if you drop a grade there is a fair chance they won’t accept you.

That is not fundamentally a reason not to apply for 5 top courses but you need to have considered the risk.

i see thank you so much. but when you say drop a grade i have already achieved the a levels, does this change things because if i got an offer it would basically be unconditional
Reply 8
Original post by omgwha
i see thank you so much. but when you say drop a grade i have already achieved the a levels, does this change things because if i got an offer it would basically be unconditional

Ah, apologies. Mea culpa.

Yes - it reduces the risk hugely. Any reason not to apply for 2 or 3 courses now and hope to have an offer in hand by the equal consideration deadline date?
Reply 9
I’d also have a look and try to make an educated guess about whether some of the courses you like give preference to further maths a level.
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
I’d also have a look and try to make an educated guess about whether some of the courses you like give preference to further maths a level.

yeah thanks, ive looked into the universities and im pretty sure only bath prefers fm a level, but it is not a requirement.. it is my dream university so i really want to put it down as a riskier choice. as for the other universities on the list none mention further maths on there page. this is why i didnt consider oxbridge/imperial/warwick! as for submitting my application now, ill try to asap just want to make sure my ps is as good as it can be and isnt rushed
Reply 11
Original post by omgwha
yeah thanks, ive looked into the universities and im pretty sure only bath prefers fm a level, but it is not a requirement.. it is my dream university so i really want to put it down as a riskier choice. as for the other universities on the list none mention further maths on there page. this is why i didnt consider oxbridge/imperial/warwick! as for submitting my application now, ill try to asap just want to make sure my ps is as good as it can be and isnt rushed

their my bad lol embarassing
Reply 12
Original post by omgwha

I wouldn't go overboard on writing the PS. If you are undertaking activities which strengthen the statement thats a different matter.

I would consider applying to 2 or so universities now so you have a chance of a quick offer from somewhere you like. Obviously make sure that they have been making offers already.
Reply 13
Original post by ajj2000
I wouldn't go overboard on writing the PS. If you are undertaking activities which strengthen the statement thats a different matter.

I would consider applying to 2 or so universities now so you have a chance of a quick offer from somewhere you like. Obviously make sure that they have been making offers already.

i dont think you can apply to 2 universities now and then 3 later as you can only submit your application once on ucas
Reply 14
Original post by omgwha
i dont think you can apply to 2 universities now and then 3 later as you can only submit your application once on ucas

Yes you can, and it's a good idea to help you balance risk in this sort of situation.

"If you didn't use all five choices, you can add more choices one at a time from your application as long as it's before 30 June and you've not accepted any offers or been declined by your choices." from: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
Reply 15
Original post by Interea
Yes you can, and it's a good idea to help you balance risk in this sort of situation.

"If you didn't use all five choices, you can add more choices one at a time from your application as long as it's before 30 June and you've not accepted any offers or been declined by your choices." from: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

isnt that just making more risk lol. what if you get declined by the other two and then cant even apply for the rest.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by omgwha

Yes you can. We recommend this strategy regularly and lots of people do so. Not sure why it isn't more widely known? Perhaps some schools are a little misleading and this creates confusion.
Original post by omgwha
isnt that just making more risk lol. what if you get declined by the other two and then cant even apply for the rest.

You have asked a question here and been given very good advice which you reject because it isnt the answer you want. Why ask for help if you are not going to accept it.

The position is that Computer Science is one of the most competitive courses and will be over subscribed so applying to all those universities is risky. You might get all offers or you might be rejected by all. Nothing can change that fact. How much risk you take is a matter for you and nobody can tell you what is right but you have rightly been told there is a huge risk due to the competitive course you are applying for. Every year students come o here having had 5 rejections and it might end up being you. Just as an example a couple of years ago Imperial were only making offers to 1 in 20 who applied.

It has been suggested to you holding back 1 or 2 choices. You wrongly rejected this because you could not do it. Again this was wrong. The idea of applying to say 3 places and holding 2 back is that you can wait to see whether you get offers or rejections. If you get offers then you can choose risky options for your final 2. If you have 3 rejections then you choose less risky places. The one issue with this policy is it is reliant on having replies before the equal consideration deadline and it is likely some wont.

Whatever you decide dont come on here asking for help if you do not intend taking it.
Reply 18
Original post by swanseajack1
You have asked a question here and been given very good advice which you reject because it isnt the answer you want. Why ask for help if you are not going to accept it.

The position is that Computer Science is one of the most competitive courses and will be over subscribed so applying to all those universities is risky. You might get all offers or you might be rejected by all. Nothing can change that fact. How much risk you take is a matter for you and nobody can tell you what is right but you have rightly been told there is a huge risk due to the competitive course you are applying for. Every year students come o here having had 5 rejections and it might end up being you. Just as an example a couple of years ago Imperial were only making offers to 1 in 20 who applied.

It has been suggested to you holding back 1 or 2 choices. You wrongly rejected this because you could not do it. Again this was wrong. The idea of applying to say 3 places and holding 2 back is that you can wait to see whether you get offers or rejections. If you get offers then you can choose risky options for your final 2. If you have 3 rejections then you choose less risky places. The one issue with this policy is it is reliant on having replies before the equal consideration deadline and it is likely some wont.

Whatever you decide dont come on here asking for help if you do not intend taking it.

when did i say that i dont intend on taking it tho? i was just asking a question because it seems like more risk from my pov but maybe i dont understand so i was asking
Reply 19
Original post by ajj2000
Yes you can. We recommend this strategy regularly and lots of people do so. Not sure why it isn't more widely known? Perhaps some schools are a little misleading and this creates confusion.

yeahhh my school never advocated for this so im just weary thats all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending