The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Dundee and St Andrews university

Iv gotten offers from both Dundee and St Andrews, I’m not sure what to choose because Dundee seems like fun but not as ‘good’ and like well recognised and affiliated than St Andrews. Any comments on experiences in universities and which one i should choose? Please help I feel lost
You don't mention the course, but regardless, if you think you can make the offer for St Andrews grade wise, then that's definitely far more prestigious and better recognised than Dundee.
Depending on the other unis you applied to and the various offers you got, you may want to firm St A and have Dundee as insurance?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by cora06140
You don't mention the course, but regardless, if you think you can make the offer for St Andrews grade wise, then that's definitely far more prestigious and better recognised than Dundee.
Depending on the other unis you applied to and the various offers you got, you may want to firm St A and have Dundee as insurance?

I lied i dont actually have an offer from St Andrews i just wanted to see what people would say regardeless, im upset because my friends got in and i got rejected everywhere when i am so capable of doing well at that uni. Idk if its worth trying to get in through clearing or just firming Dundee because right now i only have 3 As and a B bc of my mental health last year but this year iv already gotten 3 As at higher and another A in an adv higher so proving i am very much capable. It sucks that i didnt show my potential the year that mattered.
Original post by Thriftedcarrot
I lied i dont actually have an offer from St Andrews i just wanted to see what people would say regardeless, im upset because my friends got in and i got rejected everywhere when i am so capable of doing well at that uni. Idk if its worth trying to get in through clearing or just firming Dundee because right now i only have 3 As and a B bc of my mental health last year but this year iv already gotten 3 As at higher and another A in an adv higher so proving i am very much capable. It sucks that i didnt show my potential the year that mattered.

Ah, yeah, that sucks. If you are really sure you can do the extra push to get to St A offer level, would taking a gap year and reapplying with your actual grades be an option? Both my daughters waited to have their grades to know where they could and couldn't apply. The eldest didn't get the A* needed for Cambridge so applied and got into St Andrews, the youngest did get her A* applied and got into Oxford.
It may not work for everyone but it certainly massively reduced the stress for them.
That’s great for your daughters, they seem very smart. I guess it’s just the frustration of not going in with all of my friends, i wish I could just go in this year and not be so far behind. Ill look into clearing or im not really sure what else
Original post by cora06140
Ah, yeah, that sucks. If you are really sure you can do the extra push to get to St A offer level, would taking a gap year and reapplying with your actual grades be an option? Both my daughters waited to have their grades to know where they could and couldn't apply. The eldest didn't get the A* needed for Cambridge so applied and got into St Andrews, the youngest did get her A* applied and got into Oxford.
It may not work for everyone but it certainly massively reduced the stress for them.
Reply 5
That’s great for your daughters, they seem very smart. I guess it’s just the frustration of not going in with all of my friends, i wish I could just go in this year and not be so far behind. Ill look into clearing or im not really sure what else

St Andrews doesn't do clearing. If you want to go there you'd need to take a gap year and apply again. But if you want to go to uni this year then you'll need to decide whether to take your Dundee offer or look to see what comes up in clearing. What subject do you want to study? Where else did you apply this year?
Reply 6
Okay, yeah i didnt get any other offers and its for business economics marketing and psychology at Dundee, only management and psychology at St Andrews but i obviously didnt get in there. I’m warming to the idea of Dundee just not really happy about it, would never be my first choice because I understand its not a well recognised uni in comparison to places like Edinburgh and glasgow and stuff you know
Iv gotten offers from both Dundee and St Andrews, I’m not sure what to choose because Dundee seems like fun but not as ‘good’ and like well recognised and affiliated than St Andrews. Any comments on experiences in universities and which one i should choose? Please help I feel lost

Hey I don't have any personal experience with your courses but what I'd say is look at your module options, from what I've heard St A psych modules aren't for everyone.

St A nightlife is quite restricted as it's a very small town - it suits me tbf, although Dundee is a 25 minute bus journey so its not too much of an issue.

Is there anything you are looking for specifically?
Reply 8
Original post by _Rusty_
Hey I don't have any personal experience with your courses but what I'd say is look at your module options, from what I've heard St A psych modules aren't for everyone.

St A nightlife is quite restricted as it's a very small town - it suits me tbf, although Dundee is a 25 minute bus journey so its not too much of an issue.

Is there anything you are looking for specifically?

I just wanted to hear that Dundee is just as good as St Andrews, tho i know its not i have to go to Dundee and dont want to feel so bummed anymore about my friends all going St Andrews and me being stuck in a worse uni
I just wanted to hear that Dundee is just as good as St Andrews, tho i know its not i have to go to Dundee and dont want to feel so bummed anymore about my friends all going St Andrews and me being stuck in a worse uni

I don't know any one who studies at Dundee so I can't give you really any opinions on Dundee. Sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending