The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is there such things as "Walk in Mental Health Clinics"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by somnolent
And just as a helpful pointer, if you have to keep saying 'I'm not trying to be sexist', you're probably being sexist. Try referring to women as women, rather than 'females', and you might have better luck convincing us you're not a misogynist.

I'd rep you for this post but I have already repped you.
Reply 21
Original post by CescaD96
Regardless of being a mute or not, they need medical evidence.

That is sexist, quite, and I take offence. It took me 5 minutes to tell my teachers. They're not BS questions, and how can you state that they are when you have never been assessed? Do you even know what questions they ask? No. So don't call them BS. Your naivety exceeds your point.

I had one 90 minutes session, and I have already started my anti depressants.

Then you take offense very easily, don't forget this is the internet. I wasn't trying to be sexist I was just making a valid point.

Whether I've been assessed before or not is irrelevant, all this information can be found on the internet, yes some of it is biased and untrue info but it's all there. Now that I've posted that I can guarantee someone is bound to say that I should stop believing everything I read on the internet, but they'd be very stupid to post that.
Gps only see you for ten minutes and they prescribe medication so 20 minutes would be more valuable also they wouldn't prescribe you medication but if they think that you do have a mental health problem, they can refer you to see a psychologist. Otherwise your sitting in a doctor's waiting room and may catch a cold etc
Reply 23
Original post by XZX
Then you take offense very easily, don't forget this is the internet. I wasn't trying to be sexist I was just making a valid point.

Whether I've been assessed before or not is irrelevant, all this information can be found on the internet, yes some of it is biased and untrue info but it's all there. Now that I've posted that I can guarantee someone is bound to say that I should stop believing everything I read on the internet, but they'd be very stupid to post that.

I actually don't take offence easily. I only am in this instance because you said that because I'm a woman I take longer to explain my mental health, basically. It's not a valid point, it's your opinion, and it's a rude opinion.

Whether you have been assessed before is relevant because it's my opinion that a person who creates a thread like this most likely hasn't been assessed in regards to mental health. Otherwise, you'd completely understand all the valid arguments made by people before me, most of us having experienced mental health issues. Instead you are digging yourself a grave by your lack of knowledge, again in my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XZX
I'm not a mute, they could ask and I could tell them this: "No, I'm not taking anything else and no I doubt I'll have an allergic reaction".

Ah... that will destroy any doubts...:wink:

Again, I'm not trying to be sexist but you're a female. I could tell them everything in 20 minutes, easily. They can cut down on the BS questions and I can speed up with the answers.

What has that to do with females? Are females not articulated enough? And why you think being male necessarily gives you an advantage in that context? Prejudices exist in both directions.

Why can't they just prescribe something?

Because they studied years just to be able to prescribe something and that alone is - except of law - a small hint, you need that background to judge.
What's the point of having multiple BS 90 minute sessions to tell them something I could tell them in 20 minutes?

To get the right diagnosis and choose the right medication and to find out at first sight, if you need medication at all.
Do I have to visit them multiple times to proof to them I'm not a junkie?

It has actually much less to do with a fear of junkies, as you think. More with the fear to do harm to you and your right to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. In addition it has to do with the difficulty to diagnose conditions and to rule out related conditions.
Original post by XZX
I'm not a mute, they could ask and I could tell them this: "No, I'm not taking anything else and no I doubt I'll have an allergic reaction".

Again, I'm not trying to be sexist but you're a female. I could tell them everything in 20 minutes, easily. They can cut down on the BS questions and I can speed up with the answers.

Why can't they just prescribe something? What's the point of having multiple BS 90 minute sessions to tell them something I could tell them in 20 minutes? Do I have to visit them multiple times to proof to them I'm not a junkie?

Haha "I'm not being sexist but..." and immediately says something sexist. Yes you are sexist. At least be honest. :rolleyes:

You clearly have no idea how medical practises work, and to be honest most people don't. But people here are giving you valid reasons for why doctors simply cannot just give out prescriptions willy nilly. You just refuse to listen because it means you can't just waltz in and demand a doctor give you Prozac.

If you're suffering from mental health problems accept the help that is available. You're doing nothing to help yourself by whining on here and being sexist and insulting to others, just because they are more educated on the matter than you and trying to explain facts to you.
Reply 26
Original post by Aneesah_May
Gps only see you for ten minutes and they prescribe medication so 20 minutes would be more valuable also they wouldn't prescribe you medication but if they think that you do have a mental health problem, they can refer you to see a psychologist. Otherwise your sitting in a doctor's waiting room and may catch a cold etc

Most GPs refer you anyway even if they believe you have a mental health issue because mental health is usually not a GP's area of expertise. It happened to me.
Original post by XZX
No, it's not about being interesting, you misunderstand why I mean by being 'nosey'. What I mean is once they know who you are and what issues you have they'll put it down on your records and it'll be on your records until the day you die. Do you know who has access to these records? Because I do and I don't want them to see my issues, although they will pretend not to judge you, they will.

The only way around this predicament is to either self medicate or create a false identity (which simply isn't feasible).

To be honest, if you're more concerned about potential employers/whoever having access to your medical records and seeing that you've seen a GP for whatever medication it is that you're trying to seek, than the risk of potential employers/whoever having access to your criminal record for obtaining controlled substances from an unlicensed source, then your priorities are completely skewed. I would genuinely suggest seeking help from your GP about your paranoia, which appears to be a significant issue for you.
Reply 28

Thank you for the reply. It's always good to hear from someone with genuine experience in this field.

I totally agree with everything you posted, that's why walk in mental health clinics would be beneficial to all with mental issues.
Reply 29
Original post by XZX
Thank you for the reply. It's always good to hear from someone with genuine experience in this field.

I totally agree with everything you posted, that's why walk in mental health clinics would be beneficial to all with mental issues.

As I have said above, even if your GP is certain you have a mental health issue, they will usually refer you. I talk from experience.

Also, most of the replies you have received, as I have also stated above, have came from people with personal experiences.

The GP would still need to make an initial assessment.

This thread asks whether there are such things as walk-in mental health centres, to which we have concluded no, there are not. That is a fact, and not something that arguing about it on the internet is going to change. OP wants medication and we have explained to him how he can legally obtain said medication; unfortunately he doesn't like our advice and would rather buy unlicensed and therefore potentially unsafe medication from a street dealer, rather than have someone see in his medical history that he has mental health issues. That's his prerogative.

I'm offering advice from the point of view of someone who has been assessed by a GP, referred to their CMHT, seen by a mental health social worker, referred to a psychiatrist, had their needs assessed by a psychiatrist with access to their medical records, and been prescribed medication that has ultimately changed their entire life for the better. I am now enrolling on a degree course to become a mental health nurse, starting in September; my medical records have not remotely hindered me in this, and will continue not to hinder me in my chosen career. If OP doesn't want my recommendations on what he's best advised to do in his situation, that is his problem. I suggest he writes to his local MP, or perhaps the NHS, or the Department of Health, and proposes his idea for walk-in mental health centres, so that someone can officially tell him why they don't exist.
Reply 31
Original post by somnolent
To be honest, if you're more concerned about potential employers/whoever having access to your medical records and seeing that you've seen a GP for whatever medication it is that you're trying to seek, than the risk of potential employers/whoever having access to your criminal record for obtaining controlled substances from an unlicensed source, then your priorities are completely skewed. I would genuinely suggest seeking help from your GP about your paranoia, which appears to be a significant issue for you.

No one mentioned obtaining control substances from an unlicensed source, you're just making things up now.

I have a question for you, do you PM the other members first before making a post to check they approve of it? Or do you just know what they're wanting you to post? In this PM are you all having a joke, "let's all have a laugh at this guy and make him look stupid", go ahead but please not in this thread, politely put, bugger off back to your silly little PM's.
Reply 32
Original post by XZX
No one mentioned obtaining control substances from an unlicensed source, you're just making things up now.

I have a question for you, do you PM the other members first before making a post to check they approve of it? Or do you just know what they're wanting you to post? In this PM are you all having a joke, "let's all have a laugh at this guy and make him look stupid", go ahead but please not in this thread, politely put, bugger off back to your silly little PM's.

I have never spoken to any of the members who have posted in this thread.

We're not trying to make you stupid, we're answering your OP: Do walk in mental health clinics exist? The answer is no and we have given you valid pointers as to why they don't.
Reply 33
Original post by XZX
Hello peeps,

So this may seem like a stupid question, but today I was stood inside a hospital and I noticed there was a clinic for people with suspected sexually transmitted diseases to walk in and get tested. Now I know this is stupid but it got me thinking, is there such thing as walk in clinic for people with mental issues to get advice (mainly on what medication they should seek).

Now I know if there were such clinics then they wouldn't legally be able to prescribe anything, but I'm sure they'd be able to guide people on what medication they should 'seek' from their local 'doctors'.

Cheers, bye.

I've just realised...you've contradicted yourself.

You said that if such clinics existed, you knew they would only be able to advise you and not give out a prescription. Yet, you have been arguing that these clinics should exist and should be able to give you a prescription straight away.
Original post by XZX

You specifically mentioned that short of a walk-in mental health centre, a street dealer was your only option. Which is, correct me if I'm wrong, an unlicensed source.

Here's a helpful hint: if everyone in the thread is telling you the same thing and you don't agree with it, it's probably an indication that you're wrong, not that everyone is conspiring against you to make you look stupid. Trust me, as far as I've seen, you're managing that just fine without any conspiracy to do so.
Explaining everything 5 times in 20minutes? :nah:

No, OP, it doesn't work that way. It took me 4 years of seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist, CPN, counselors and OT before they agreed on a diagnosis. Since then that diagnosis has changed a couple of times too. 4 minutes just ain't gonna cut it.
Reply 36
I have another question to everyone (apart from those actively messaging each other in a private message), where would we have to travel to in order to avoid this procedure? Does Scotland have a different procedure, different doctors, different medical culture? Or will it require a trip to the juggler?
Reply 37
Original post by Sabertooth
Explaining everything 5 times in 20minutes? :nah:

No, OP, it doesn't work that way. It took me 4 years of seeing a psychiatrist, psychologist, CPN, counselors and OT before they agreed on a diagnosis. Since then that diagnosis has changed a couple of times too. 4 minutes just ain't gonna cut it.

4 years? I doubt I'd even be alive that long. How on earth could it take 4 years to get treatment? Or did I misunderstand your post? By 'diagnosis' do you mean you were still receiving therapy plus medication yet your official 'diagnosis' took 4 years, is that what you mean?
Original post by XZX
4 years? I doubt I'd even be alive that long. How on earth could it take 4 years to get treatment? Or did I misunderstand your post? By 'diagnosis' do you mean you were still receiving therapy plus medication yet your official 'diagnosis' took 4 years, is that what you mean?

Yes, that's what I meant. I tried numerous antidepressants, antipsychotics, and antianxiety drugs over the 4 years but it took them ages to agree on a diagnosis.

Mental health treatment involves a hell of a lot of trial and error. You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent talking to mental health professionals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by XZX
I have another question to everyone (apart from those actively messaging each other in a private message), where would we have to travel to in order to avoid this procedure? Does Scotland have a different procedure, different doctors, different medical culture? Or will it require a trip to the juggler?

We're not privately messaging each other, that's ridiculous.

You won't find a difference in N.Ireland anyway. It's the same across the NHS.

Latest