The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is there any safe way to take Xanax long term?

There's only one thing that gets me through life and that's Xanax, I realize taking it long term is not safe and I know what the withdrawals are like.

Is there anything else I could take in conjunction with it to keep myself safe? If not is there anything else that's the same as Xanax but more safe, even if it's not 100% safe for long term use.

Would it be ok to take it 5 days a week and have the weekend of it? I can't go on without it and can't simply just take herbal BS!

Please don't just reply with "no", I need an alternative if this isn't safe or a way to be able to take it for 5 days a week.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Anonymous
There's only one thing that gets me through life and that's Xanax, I realize taking it long term is not safe and I know what the withdrawals are like.

Is there anything else I could take in conjunction with it to keep myself safe? If not is there anything else that's the same as Xanax but more safe, even if it's not 100% safe for long term use.

Would it be ok to take it 5 days a week and have the weekend of it? I can't go on without it and can't simply just take herbal BS!

Please don't just reply with "no", I need an alternative if this isn't safe or a way to be able to take it for 5 days a week.

Thanks in advance.

Only a Dr would be able to advise you about whether it is safe. Could you talk to the person who prescribed it to you like your GP or care team?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by bullettheory
Only a Dr would be able to advise you about whether it is safe. Could you talk to the person who prescribed it to you like your GP or care team?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He said to ask online for advice and then when I'm decided on what I want to do, he'll monitor me.

Anyhow, my biggest fear from long term use is the withdrawals, more specifically seizures, I didn't know that withdrawals could induce seizures, I'm not bother about all the other possible withdrawal systems, it's just the seizure one. How could I prevent or minimize this possibility?
Original post by Anonymous
He said to ask online for advice and then when I'm decided on what I want to do, he'll monitor me.

Anyhow, my biggest fear from long term use is the withdrawals, more specifically seizures, I didn't know that withdrawals could induce seizures, I'm not bother about all the other possible withdrawal systems, it's just the seizure one. How could I prevent or minimize this possibility?

Your doctor told you to seek online advice from strangers with no medical knowledge?! I just can't believe that, it sounds so far-fetched, I would of thought he would of wanted to take control of the situation. Anyway . With regards to the seizures, there are drugs you can take to manage this, but again you would have to talk to your Dr.

My view would be that, whilst it is helping you now, the effectiveness will wear off and you will have to take more and more. A better long term solution would be to maybe look at other strategies, maybe therapy? Again, if that's the route you want to go down, ask your Dr. I wouldn't say long term use of Benzodiazpines is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by bullettheory
Your doctor told you to seek online advice from strangers with no medical knowledge?! I just can't believe that, it sounds so far-fetched, I would of thought he would of wanted to take control of the situation. Anyway . With regards to the seizures, there are drugs you can take to manage this, but again you would have to talk to your Dr.

My view would be that, whilst it is helping you now, the effectiveness will wear off and you will have to take more and more. A better long term solution would be to maybe look at other strategies, maybe therapy? Again, if that's the route you want to go down, ask your Dr. I wouldn't say long term use of Benzodiazpines is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those weren't his exact words but yes he wants me to ask around and make up my mind on what I want to do, then he will monitor me.

Don't worry I'll ask around about the anti-seizure drugs, if I find a decent one then I'll get my Doctor to prescribe it me so I can keep in on standby, in case I turn into a spazzy person.

Please don't mention therapy to me, it's BS and only works for people who are faking and like attention.

What's with all the emphasis on asking my Doctor? You seem to be obsessed with me talking to him.
Reply 5
Original post by LauraRMCF
What I'm about to say is based on MY experience only. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Back in December, I decided to stop taking my Prozac cold turkey. I was on the lowest possible dose of 10mg and Prozac is meant to be the easiest drug to come off of as it had the longest half life. I was on it since I was 14-15, so about 4-5 years.

About three weeks after stopping it, my anxiety reached its peak. I used to only have anxiety attacks a few times a year when I was very stressed over school and exams. However, the withdrawal symptoms I got from Prozac were horrible. It was hands down the worst experience of my life. I started off having horrible anxiety attacks and insomnia. I went TWO days without sleeping which is unheard of for me. I'd lie down and my heart started pacing and I'd feel like I was dying and had to get up ASAP. I'd have random bursts of crying and would pace around the house all day.Ii then began to wake up with migraines that ended up lasting me just over one month. I went to bed with these migraines and 'woke up' with them (keep in mine I was barely sleeping so they were 20x worse). I remember feeling so distant...as if I wasn't really in my body, but watching from afar. It was one of my scariest experiences yet. I couldn't handle it and had to go back on my medication ASAP.

I'm still on it now, and have been on it since January 22 as I couldn't handle the withdrawal. I'm now about go taper off of it very soon by using a syringe to liquidize my medication in order to go down from 10mg to 9, 8 etc as I'm already on the lowest dose and this is the only way to do it.

I'm not a doctor, so please don't take this too seriously, but I would never recommend going on antidepressants/anxiety medication long-term.

I know this isn't the advice youre looking for, but going on Prozac is one of the worst decisions I made. I recommend reading this forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/ as it has great information and advice.

How do I word this without sounding harsh? I think the difference between me and you is I'm not stupid, no offended intended. I will carefully plan out my consumption times and doses, using the half-life to calculate when I should take it.
Reply 6
Is there anyone who can provide a straight answer with no BS questions?
I suspect you've sufficiently alienated anybody that might have been inclined to help you that it's unlikely you'll get the answer you want. :cookie: Are you sure this isn't a problem with your attitude towards life?
What you're asking for requires professional medical knowledge, which you're unable to get here. I advise you to talk to your GP for advice.

Thread closed.

Latest