The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Cultural Appropriation

I'm sure a good amount of the people here have heard of that term before, and if you haven't, then cultural appropriation is basically when some people of culture A dress, act, or talk like people of culture B. My definition isn't as good, so you'd be better off using Google.

Now, the thing is, I just don't understand why people are even mad about this. Like so what if white people dressed like indians? Also why is this supposed to be new, people of everywhere have been using other peoples traditions and cultures as new trends and fads.

It honestly baffles me how semi-whites (non-white people living in white countries) think they are the voice of their culture and ethnic background, when a lot of them haven't even seen the country their mother and father came from. And it's every week on twitter and tumblr, a new hashtag about how horrible white people are for wearing a kimono, bindi, cornrows, you name it!

As a person who comes from the middle east and lived in the middle east for the majority of my life, I can say with certainty that nobody actually cares, in fact in all Arab countries, they do the same! Whether it's an Egyptian movie, a TV show, or a music video, people copy other cultures all the time; I've seen Indian Saris, Japanese Kimonos, and they go as far as making fun of accents and traditions using stereotypes. But it seems that people ignore these parts when it comes to non-white countries and cultures, interesting...

Scroll to see replies

I think cultural appropriation in certain occasions e.g. dressing up as an Indian for a Halloween party is slightly outrageous. However, dressing a particular way to respect a culture is absolutely fine in my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gagafacea1
I'm sure a good amount of the people here have heard of that term before, and if you haven't, then cultural appropriation is basically when some people of culture A dress, act, or talk like people of culture B. My definition isn't as good, so you'd be better off using Google.

Now, the thing is, I just don't understand why people are even mad about this. Like so what if white people dressed like indians? Also why is this supposed to be new, people of everywhere have been using other peoples traditions and cultures as new trends and fads.

It honestly baffles me how semi-whites (non-white people living in white countries) think they are the voice of their culture and ethnic background, when a lot of them haven't even seen the country their mother and father came from. And it's every week on twitter and tumblr, a new hashtag about how horrible white people are for wearing a kimono, bindi, cornrows, you name it!

As a person who comes from the middle east and lived in the middle east for the majority of my life, I can say with certainty that nobody actually cares, in fact in all Arab countries, they do the same! Whether it's an Egyptian movie, a TV show, or a music video, people copy other cultures all the time; I've seen Indian Saris, Japanese Kimonos, and they go as far as making fun of accents and traditions using stereotypes. But it seems that people ignore these parts when it comes to non-white countries and cultures, interesting...

The thing that gets to me is, they do and say all this about how their culture's superior and we're stealing it. Yet they're using the English language and living in England, as opposed to this glorious utopia of their ancestors ( which is obviously much better than the UK of course even though its HDI is in minus numbers). But what would I know, I'm a white bloke therefore not allowed an opinion on such matters.
"Cultural appropriation" was just a term popularised by Azealia Banks to try and stay relevant as her own debut album was nothing more than OK. I understand where she was coming from initially as she had legitimate complaints, but now others have picked up the term and malformed it.
Look I can see where people are coming from.

This is my issue, why would you even dare dress up as another race or culture for halloween? That is downright offensive. Someone's culture should not be a costume.

I also find it hilarious how so many people will talk so much crap about Arabs and Muslims but will have no problem getting henna tatoos on their hands, smoking shisha etc. The same thing can be said about dreadlocks. I once knew this very racist girl who talked so much crap about black people and she would go on and on about how dirty and nappy black people's hair looked. Guess what she did... she got dreadlocks!
Reply 6
Original post by quentinhamilton
I think cultural appropriation in certain occasions e.g. dressing up as an Indian for a Halloween party is slightly outrageous. However, dressing a particular way to respect a culture is absolutely fine in my opinion.

I completely agree with this.
To the OP, as an Indian, I don't really care if someone that is not Indian, wears Indian clothes or does something relating to the Indian culture. If it is done respectably, I actually appreciate other people embracing the Indian culture. However, if someone turns up to a Halloween party dressed in a sari or any other traditional clothing, I would side-eye them. I know I don't represent the whole Indian culture or the country itself, being born and raised in England, but I know many Indians would be offended if someone did go to a fancy dress/Halloween party dressed up in traditional Indian clothes.
Reply 7
culture is not a public commodity. It's not something that is abstract & inspire any type inspiration. ethnicities were made to distinguish
Original post by drowzee
To the OP, as an Indian, I don't really care if someone that is not Indian, wears Indian clothes or does something relating to the Indian culture. If it is done respectably, I actually appreciate other people embracing the Indian culture. However, if someone turns up to a Halloween party dressed in a sari or any other traditional clothing, I would side-eye them. I know I don't represent the whole Indian culture or the country itself, being born and raised in England, but I know many Indians would be offended if someone did go to a fancy dress/Halloween party dressed up in traditional Indian clothes.

Exactly! When I see someone wearing a cultural attire at a fancy dress party i.e. Halloween, it makes me cringe
Yes, its ignored in non-white countries because the 'left' has morphed into a full blown reverse Nazi ideology which exists to demonise and criticise white people.

It doesn't matter if non-white people culturally appropriate white people, or other non-white people.

All that matters is if white people do it. Then and only then does it becomes an issue for the social justice warriors.

I have struggled with the idea of cultural appropriation. But after taking some time to think about it, I understand it as happening when the act (dressing up, language, etc.) has a exploitative element to it or when it demeans or diminishes the culture it is taking from. It certainly is not a new phenomenon and many who talk about it do recognize its history.

But more to the point cultural appropriation is criticized on the basis that it usually furthers a stereotype that is either harmful or inaccurate or because it is exploiting the culture it is taking from. This can be done even if its not on purpose. A common example of cultural appropriation is halloween. Now I wouldn't say that most people who dress up are intentionally attempting to cheapen the culture they are donning, or that they are intentionally exploiting it but they are nevertheless playing up a stereotype that often is just inaccurate. And by commodifying the look they are playing into an system that has only placed monetary value on the 'culture' in order to profit those in power (often of a culture that is more privileged) and this is done at the expense of those whom actually identify with the culture.

Does that make any sense? I do tend to agree that many people cry cultural appropriation far too overzealously, and sometimes in instances which don't really constitute what I've outlined above and that can be extremely problematic. The theory behind cultural appropriation also has to do some gymnastics to stay in line with the multicultural values that modern society tends to have. But overall I do think it is definitely an issue, although to what degree...may be harder to determine.
Original post by drowzee
To the OP, as an Indian, I don't really care if someone...

Original post by quentinhamilton
I think cultural appropriation...

Original post by vanessanoelle
Look I can see where people are coming from....

You know what, I actually do get where you guys are coming from. I didn't really think about that aspect of it. It really does seem silly (and offensive if it is intended to be) to dress up in something millions, no, billions of people dress up in, for halloween.
But this still doesn't clear up one thing, people always forget to criticize their own people when it comes to topics like this; which brings me to:

There is a great comment by Ta Yancy on this page. This is what she said:

ugh! why are Black people always worried about what White ppl are doing? The same people that talk about other races "appropriating Black culture" are the same people that support Black people that DON'T uplift or reflect or support their own culture. How can u be mad at a White performer mocking Black culture, when you have Black performers calling women bitches and hoes and everyone a ****", and not say **** about that? When you're watching the coonery that is all VH1's reality shows, on a regular basis? All celebrities see one color. Green. They're selling it and ppl are buying it and all those people aren't just white.

I agree with her to be honest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RandZul'Zorander

Does that make any sense? I do tend to agree that many people cry cultural appropriation far too overzealously, and sometimes in instances which don't really constitute what I've outlined above and that can be extremely problematic. The theory behind cultural appropriation also has to do some gymnastics to stay in line with the multicultural values that modern society tends to have. But overall I do think it is definitely an issue, although to what degree...may be harder to determine.

Yes it does. Also look at my comment above.

The issue is that it has negative racial connotations with the community. It is only popular when the privileged I.e. White people in fashion music etc appropriate it.

It can perpetuate these stereotypes in the case of katy perry dressing up as a geisha, giving the impression that japanese women are submissive and serve men. It is an issue when the privileged don't know about the history behind the culture.
Original post by somemightsay888
"Cultural appropriation" was just a term popularised by Azealia Banks to try and stay relevant as her own debut album was nothing more than OK. I understand where she was coming from initially as she had legitimate complaints, but now others have picked up the term and malformed it.

No

It existed before her, and what she said was correct. Iggy Azaela is essentially black facing, as she uses a southern home girl accent.

Her debut album has the highest critic rating of an album by a female rapper....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by G8D
All aspirational 2nd and 3rd world countries appropriate white culture to improve their countries. I have absolutely no problem with this. Happy to enrich the lives of the less fortunate.

Such as?

Cultural appropriation doesn't only applys to the privileged i.e. white folk.

There is no such thing as reverse appropiation, sexism or racism. :smile:

There is a great comment by Ta Yancy on this page. This is what she said:

I agree with her to be honest.

Well she's wrong.

You and her have over simplified the situation.
Original post by capitalismstinks
Yes, its ignored in non-white countries because the 'left' has morphed into a full blown reverse Nazi ideology which exists to demonise and criticise white people.

It doesn't matter if non-white people culturally appropriate white people, or other non-white people.

All that matters is if white people do it. Then and only then does it becomes an issue for the social justice warriors.

Sorry to break your hopes

but you can't appropiate, be racist or sexist against the privileged.
Original post by EggMayo
The thing that gets to me is, they do and say all this about how their culture's superior and we're stealing it. Yet they're using the English language and living in England, as opposed to this glorious utopia of their ancestors ( which is obviously much better than the UK of course even though its HDI is in minus numbers). But what would I know, I'm a white bloke therefore not allowed an opinion on such matters.

A white bloke whose ancestors forced slaves from their homes therefore having to learn english. Language can't be appropriated and isn't culture.
Original post by vanessanoelle
Look I can see where people are coming from.

This is my issue, why would you even dare dress up as another race or culture for halloween? That is downright offensive. Someone's culture should not be a costume.

I also find it hilarious how so many people will talk so much crap about Arabs and Muslims but will have no problem getting henna tatoos on their hands, smoking shisha etc. The same thing can be said about dreadlocks. I once knew this very racist girl who talked so much crap about black people and she would go on and on about how dirty and nappy black people's hair looked. Guess what she did... she got dreadlocks!

That is appropiation....

It is only seen as cool when the privileged, media or fashion adopt it. While black people, who are stigmatised by dreadlocks, are slandred i.e. zendaya

Latest

Trending

Trending