The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Frenchay accommodation dilemma

hopefully going to UWE in September but stuck between wallscourt park and student village. I'm wanting something lively to meet lots of people. If you have any feedback of both would be much appreciated :smile:
I am in exactly the same position. I have only seen the student village which I liked but I like the idea of a newer, bigger room that is cheaper but not 100% about sharing a bathroom for wallscourt ..
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
A pretty late reply but here is one:

The Student Village still has that new feeling. Tables in the kitchen might have dents, but everything is functional and if it isn't it will be fixed or replaced. That said our fridge does make weird noises and we've just had to deal with it. An ensuite is really something to appreciate. For your first year you will be moving in with strangers. At the SV you will just have to share a kitchen with 5 other people. You will either get along with them, not get along with them, or move into another room if it's possible.

Wallscourt Park is new and I've heard compliments about it, but you will be living with so many people. Imagine a situation where something from your fridge goes missing... you will have to ask around. Imagine a social group... 6 people is reasonable but more tends to break up that unified party. It'll be harder to get close to people.

The only benefit, in my eyes, would be the bigger room. Even then the rooms in the SV are decent sized and livable.

When thinking of accommodation consider your privacy. Having your own room and your own bathroom means you have the option to avoid your roommates if you want/need to.
Reply 3
Original post by delicus
A pretty late reply but here is one:

The Student Village still has that new feeling. Tables in the kitchen might have dents, but everything is functional and if it isn't it will be fixed or replaced. That said our fridge does make weird noises and we've just had to deal with it. An ensuite is really something to appreciate. For your first year you will be moving in with strangers. At the SV you will just have to share a kitchen with 5 other people. You will either get along with them, not get along with them, or move into another room if it's possible.

Wallscourt Park is new and I've heard compliments about it, but you will be living with so many people. Imagine a situation where something from your fridge goes missing... you will have to ask around. Imagine a social group... 6 people is reasonable but more tends to break up that unified party. It'll be harder to get close to people.

The only benefit, in my eyes, would be the bigger room. Even then the rooms in the SV are decent sized and livable.

When thinking of accommodation consider your privacy. Having your own room and your own bathroom means you have the option to avoid your roommates if you want/need to.

How many people do Wallscourt share between? It's also not obvious online how many share a bathroom etc. I'm also in this position and deciding between the two currently.
As a postgrad, I've done halls at a different university and definitely appreciating your own space is a must!
Reply 4
Just looking at the website http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/students/accommodation/uweaccommodationoptions/wallscourtpark.aspx it would seem everyone shares a bathroom. Houses have 8, 10 or 12 rooms. My only opinion is from knowing someone who has lived there this year. They've complained about there being too many people to get personal with as well as sharing space.

This year I've had to share a space with 6 people (Student Village) but have still had my own bathroom. Whether I could share a bathroom with strangers is what I considered when applying.
Wallscourt Park is 1 bathroom per two people, and you get a 4 foot bed instead of single! Most of Wallscourt is split over 4 floors, like a town house style... Whereas SV is very much a flat :smile:

Has anyone applied or received accommodation offers yet?
Original post by lucydgray
Wallscourt Park is 1 bathroom per two people, and you get a 4 foot bed instead of single! Most of Wallscourt is split over 4 floors, like a town house style... Whereas SV is very much a flat :smile:

Has anyone applied or received accommodation offers yet?

Should receive them on the 22nd apparently. Anyone else staying at Student Village?
Original post by drethegreek
Should receive them on the 22nd apparently. Anyone else staying at Student Village?

Hey!! I've applied for Student Village but haven't heard back yet... How do you know it's the 22nd for them to offer you accommodation? And what course will you be studying?
Original post by RadioStudent007
Hey!! I've applied for Student Village but haven't heard back yet... How do you know it's the 22nd for them to offer you accommodation? And what course will you be studying?

Said it when you applied for the accommodation I think and I'm doing Forensic Computing & Security, you?
Original post by drethegreek
Said it when you applied for the accommodation I think and I'm doing Forensic Computing & Security, you?

Oh I see!! Wow that sounds brilliant!! I'll be doing Radiotherapy and Oncology :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending