The Student Room Group

Solving Laplace's Equation

Hello, can anyone help solve laplaces equation in plane polar coordinates to be in the form F(r)cos(theta)

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jeremy_jackson
Hello, can anyone help solve laplaces equation in plane polar coordinates to be in the form F(r)cos(theta)

Thanks

what exactly would you like to know?
Reply 2
Hey, are you still needing help with this? It's quite an easy problem - I'd be happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CosmicJay
Hey, are you still needing help with this? It's quite an easy problem - I'd be happy to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

easy?

I guess anything is easy if you know how ...
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
easy?

I guess anything is easy if you know how ...

If you know the right ansatz your laughing 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you know the right ansatz your laughing 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

:banana:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello,

yes i am thanks!

not sure what to write for it to just be in the form f(r)costheta rather than having a sine term as well

thank you
Reply 7

Thanks

post a photo of your question
Reply 8
hello,

yes i am thanks!

not sure what to write for it to just be in the form f(r)costheta rather than having a sine term as well

thank you

Hey, it sounds like you know what your doing. I'm assuming you've arrived at a general solution including both sine and cosine? If this is the case then you need to apply boundary conditions - these conditions should lead to your f(r)cos theta solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, it sounds like you know what your doing. I'm assuming you've arrived at a general solution including both sine and cosine? If this is the case then you need to apply boundary conditions - these conditions should lead to your f(r)cos theta solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where do i get these boundary conditions from?
This is where I have to echo what TeeEm has said. In the specific question your tackling either boundary conditions should be explicitly given or something in the wording of the question should indicate what the boundary conditions are. They usually come in the form of: when theta = 0...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laplace's equation is ∇^2φ = 0, in plane polar coordinates. Find its generalsolution of the form φ(r, θ) = f(r) cos θ and show thatφ(r, θ) =  (Ar +Br^-1) cos θ where A and B are arbitrary constants.
This is where I have to echo what TeeEm has said. In the specific question your tackling either boundary conditions should be explicitly given or something in the wording of the question should indicate what the boundary conditions are. They usually come in the form of: when theta = 0...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Laplace's equation is ∇^2φ = 0, in plane polar coordinates. Find its generalsolution of the form φ(r, θ) = f(r) cos θ and show thatφ(r, θ) = (Ar +Br^-1) cos θ where A and B are arbitrary constants
Reply 13
Laplace's equation is ∇^2φ = 0, in plane polar coordinates. Find its generalsolution of the form φ(r, θ) = f(r) cos θ and show thatφ(r, θ) = (Ar +Br^-1) cos θ where A and B are arbitrary constants

will try to help you tonight when I finish work

1. Write the Laplacian in plane polar coords
2. Assume a separable solution of the form ϕ(r,θ)=R(r)T(θ)\phi(r,\theta) = R(r)T(\theta)
3. Substitute this into 1) and write the result in the form P(r)=Q(θ)P(r)=Q(\theta)
4. Deduce something important about P(r),Q(θ)P(r), Q(\theta). (Hint: how can a function of rr be identically equal to a function of θ\theta?)
5. Solve a couple of DEs in r,θr,\theta separately
Reply 15

It looks that atsruser has given some structure to the problem.
If you need more detail quote me.

Quick Reply

Latest