The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology - 6B101 + 6B102 - Unit 1 and Unit 2 Exam Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

How would you answer the question - 'Describe the nature of the genetic code'?
Original post by lizmoo0721
How would you answer the question - 'Describe the nature of the genetic code'?

It was a 2 mark question i believe? You get one mark per point from:

-triplet code
-adenine, thymine, guanine and cytosine
-each triplet of bases codes for 1 amino acid
-code is not overlapping
-code is universal
-code is degenerate
I'm so scared for this exam! I'm retaking this too :frown:
Original post by Maronite
I'm so scared for this exam! I'm retaking this too :frown:

Me too! How are you revising? I'm just doing past papers, I dont know if it's effective to learn the markscheme or not because edexcel are probably the most fussy with specific answers :frown:
Me too! How are you revising? I'm just doing past papers, I dont know if it's effective to learn the markscheme or not because edexcel are probably the most fussy with specific answers :frown:

I've made a set of notes which are really detailed because I'm essentially teaching myself. After doing my notes I went through all the questions and added the mark scheme answers to my notes if that makes sense?

I'm planning on redoing the past papers tomorrow... will you be revising on the day of the exam too?
I've made a set of notes which are really detailed because I'm essentially teaching myself. After doing my notes I went through all the questions and added the mark scheme answers to my notes if that makes sense?

I'm planning on redoing the past papers tomorrow... will you be revising on the day of the exam too?

Your method sounds good. I dont even have all my notes in one place :')
I think I'm going to summarise all my notes today, along with past papers. :smile:
What experiment do you think they will ask?? I really hope its not the enzyme catalase one!!
Your method sounds good. I dont even have all my notes in one place :':wink:
I think I'm going to summarise all my notes today, along with past papers. :smile:
What experiment do you think they will ask?? I really hope its not the enzyme catalase one!!

Haha thanks! To be honest I have no idea, I haven't even looked at the experiments yet hahahaha :'(
Reply 187
Can anyone explain the shape of the graph of initial rate of reaction with increasing enzyme concentration in terms of active sites occupied & enzyme-substrate complex ?
Original post by DK 96
Can anyone explain the shape of the graph of initial rate of reaction with increasing enzyme concentration in terms of active sites occupied & enzyme-substrate complex ?

Firstly, as the enzyme concentration increases the initial rate of reaction increases at a steady rate. This is because, as the enzyme concentration increases there are more successful collisions between the enzymes and the substrates and more enzyme-substrate complexes are formed, therefore more products are formed.

After a while the graph plateaus and the rate of reaction slows down. This is because, now the enzyme concentration is not the limiting factor anymore. The substrate concentration is now the limiting factor. So, there are not enough substrate molecules to bind to the vacant active site of the enzymes. This explains why the rate of reaction slows down at this point.

Hope its useful :smile:
Is Cystic Fibrosis the only disease we need to know in detail, or are there others? Thalassemia comes to mind for some reason! Thanks :smile:
Original post by kdizzle97
Is Cystic Fibrosis the only disease we need to know in detail, or are there others? Thalassemia comes to mind for some reason! Thanks :smile:

Yeah, for other diseases like Thalassemia you just have to interpret the information they provide you with in the question. :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by shooting_stars
Firstly, as the enzyme concentration increases the initial rate of reaction increases at a steady rate. This is because, as the enzyme concentration increases there are more successful collisions between the enzymes and the substrates and more enzyme-substrate complexes are formed, therefore more products are formed.

After a while the graph plateaus and the rate of reaction slows down. This is because, now the enzyme concentration is not the limiting factor anymore. The substrate concentration is now the limiting factor. So, there are not enough substrate molecules to bind to the vacant active site of the enzymes. This explains why the rate of reaction slows down at this point.

Hope its useful :smile:

Thank you so much:smile: that's exactly what I wanted to know :smile:
Original post by DK 96
Thank you so much:smile: that's exactly what I wanted to know :smile:

No worries.. If you have any other Qs just let me know :smile:
Original post by shooting_stars
Yeah, for other diseases like Thalassemia you just have to interpret the information they provide you with in the question. :smile:

Thank you! Hope revision is going well :smile:
Weirdly looking forward to this exam, anyone want to ask each other questions?
could someone just outline the points we should make about the enzyme/substrate practical to get the marks? cheers
Original post by ashsohal
could someone just outline the points we should make about the enzyme/substrate practical to get the marks? cheers

Taken from the summer 2012 exam:

1. reference to use of a range of substrate(triglyceride) concentrations ;
2. idea of mixing (enzyme and substrate) ;
3. identification of a suitable dependent variablee.g. pH ;
4. description of how to measure the dependentvariable e.g. use of pH indicator ;5. reference to measuring time ;
6. description of how to calculate (initial) rate ofreaction ;
7. idea of repeating experiment without theenzyme ;
8. idea of control of enzyme (lipase) concentration;
9. reference to one other named controlledvariable (e.g. temperature, type of triglyceride,volume of solutions) ;
10. reference to {replicates / repeats} (usingthe same triglyceride concentration)

This was using lipase and triglyceride as a substrate
What determines alpha helix or beta sheet? Like what is it that determines how the hydrogen bonds between the carboxylic and amine group form?
Also do we need to know the evidence for the fluid mosaic model in depth or can we just summarise it? Like can they ask a 5 marker on it?

I hope we get a 5 marker on something like the cardiovascular system
What determines alpha helix or beta sheet? Like what is it that determines how the hydrogen bonds between the carboxylic and amine group form?

Hmmm, textbook doesn't say much about this, but to form the alpha helix the chains twist, forming hydrogen bonds between the carboxylic acid and the amine group. For beta sheet the bonding is the same but several chains link instead of twisting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending