The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology - 6B101 + 6B102 - Unit 1 and Unit 2 Exam Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redbuthotter
True re the risks, but you can drop those marks and still score 65-70 which is plenty.

Which part on the fatty acids confused you?

Its not actually the content on that question, its the actual question I guess aha, about the calculatio and why theres differences in the concertrations of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids.

Also, on this paper have you see question 1(a) (ii) On the max number of amino acids coded for by a molecule of mRNA that is 600 mononucleosis long is - so confusing?
Reply 381
Why do the elastic fibres in Aorta stretch and then recoil?
Original post by redtoffe
Its not actually the content on that question, its the actual question I guess aha, about the calculatio and why theres differences in the concertrations of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids.

Also, on this paper have you see question 1(a) (ii) On the max number of amino acids coded for by a molecule of mRNA that is 600 mononucleosis long is - so confusing?

3 Bases to 1 amino, so divide 3 to get 200?
Original post by MATTTT
Hi can i get them as well?

Can I get these too? aha
Original post by DK 96
Why do the elastic fibres in Aorta stretch and then recoil?

To cope with changes in pressure when the heart contracts and relaxes.
3 Bases to 1 amino, so divide 3 to get 200?

Oh ahaha I don't see why I didn't get this before, thanks.
Reply 386
Original post by Feraligatr
Yep, on diffusion and gaseous exchange. Pretty much GCSE stuff though, large surface area due to small size and many alvoeli. Short diffusion pathway so more efficient. Concentration gradient maintained as oxygenated blood is taken away and deoxygenated blood comes along.

What's the exact question though?

Thanks, all comes flooding back ahaha.

'Describe and explain how the lungs of a mammal are adapted for rapid gasexchange.' [5 marks]
Reply 387
To cope with changes in pressure when the heart contracts and relaxes.

Yep,so they stretch to lower the blood pressure
- recoil to return back to shape ?

but do we need to know more than that ? for example "Explain why elastic fibres stretch and then recoil?" (3 marks)
Original post by .JC.
Thanks, all comes flooding back ahaha.

'Describe and explain how the lungs of a mammal are adapted for rapid gasexchange.' [5 marks]

:lol: :tongue:

Yeah, pretty much what I said previously. You should get 5 marks if you mention all that..:smile:
Original post by DK 96

but do we need to know more than that ? for example "Explain why elastic fibres stretch and then recoil?" (3 marks)

That should get the marks. Although on semantics - I think they stretch due to the high blood pressure during systole, like blowing into a balloon it stretches, rather than it consciously stretches to lower blood pressure if that makes sense.
Original post by DK 96

Isn't that so a pulse is created?
Reply 391
What is the difference between the lock and key theory and the induced fit theory?
Reply 392
Original post by Maronite
Isn't that so a pulse is created?

Not sure, but I think pulse concerns the whole cardiac cycle
Original post by N.Choi
What is the difference between the lock and key theory and the induced fit theory?

Lock and key = more specific, enzyme doesn't change shape.
Induced fit = active site changes slightly to fit the substrate.
Reply 394
What are features of the circulatory system and how are they adapted to overcome limitations of diffusion?I'm a bit confused about respiratory and circulatory system
(edited 8 years ago)
can someone explain the steps in gene therapy and like important points we may need to know for it?
Reply 397
Original post by lizmoo0721
Lock and key = more specific, enzyme doesn't change shape.
Induced fit = active site changes slightly to fit the substrate.

How does the active site change it's shape??
Reply 398
:hi:

Would anybody be interested in going through the specification, point by point, to make a list of answers?

I'm not sure if here would be the best place for it, but I'd be happy to make a new thread or skype group or similar if people liked the idea. It could then be posted in it's entirety on here, and made into a word document etc.

I just think it is the best way to convince yourself you know everything you need to, and also to highlight gaps in your knowledge :yep:

Anyone?
Reply 399

Invite only :grumble:

:giggle:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending