The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology - 6B101 + 6B102 - Unit 1 and Unit 2 Exam Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnsmithy123
Could someone please explain all of the methods for the enzyme experiments please

Ignore last post
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGreatImposter
There's a decrease in ventricular pressure so it allows the cycle to start again?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also there is a higher pressure in the vena cava and pulmonary vein hence causes av valves to open and refills the atrias
Original post by barbiex
Also there is a higher pressure in the vena cava and pulmonary vein hence causes av valves to open and refills the atrias

Oh yeah, that's a good point to make. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And also, could some please explain to me how to draw a monohybrid cross... it's SOOO confusing!! Will I get marks if I draw a Punnett Square instead in the exam?

Can someone please tell me the steps of the Meselson and stahl experiment - the only thing I know is that they tried to prove that DNA underwent semi conservative replication, using DNA from e-coli bacteria
Original post by tan030
Can someone please tell me the steps of the Meselson and stahl experiment - the only thing I know is that they tried to prove that DNA underwent semi conservative replication, using DNA from e-coli bacteria

My teacher says they don't expect you to remember the experiment as they'll give you relevant information but can ask you to draw bands. Can you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we have to know the mucus-CFTR thing for people without a faulty CFTR?
My teacher says they don't expect you to remember the experiment as they'll give you relevant information but can ask you to draw bands. Can you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg can you please explain how to draw the bands, i really dont get that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know how to draw the bands but you can never tell with exams, especially this years set. They could throw in the question 'explain how DNA was proven to undergo semi conservative replication' for 5 marks, you never know.
Could someone explain the other enzyme experiment, not the trypsin and casein the hydrogen one
For everyone who only learn the CGP book (like me)

This is a list of what is missed out or is in a lot greater detail that the CGP book:

components of blood

Function of blood

Systolic pressure

Diastolic pressure

Macro nutrient

Micro nutrient

Water and fibre

Conjugated proteins

BMI

Epidemiology

Protein in milk

Statins

Monohybrid inheritance (greater detail)

Human Genome project

Isotonic solutions

Pinocytosis

Fick’s law

Protecting the lungs

Diet and enzymes, drug therapies, infertilitytreatment

Copying the healthy gene

Vectors in greater detail

Extracellular and intracellular barriers

Original post by barbiex
omg can you please explain how to draw the bands, i really dont get that :frown:

Type in McGraw Hill Mehelson and Stahl and there's a short clip explaining how it works. Just remember first generation there is one heavy nitrogen 15 band and one normal nitrogen 14 band causing it to be in the middle and in the second generation there's one light band and one medium band. I draw a picture on the whiteboard for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lizmoo0721
For everyone who only learn the CGP book (like me)

This is a list of what is missed out or is in a lot greater detail that the CGP book:

components of blood

Function of blood

Systolic pressure

Diastolic pressure

Macro nutrient

Micro nutrient

Water and fibre

Conjugated proteins

BMI

Epidemiology

Protein in milk

Statins

Monohybrid inheritance (greater detail)

Human Genome project

Isotonic solutions

Pinocytosis

Fick’s law

Protecting the lungs

Diet and enzymes, drug therapies, infertilitytreatment

Copying the healthy gene

Vectors in greater detail

Extracellular and intracellular barriers

Pinocytosis? Human genome project? (Thought that was part of unit 2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .JC.
This is from an official edexcel mark scheme, and I have edited it to make it versatile for any experiment containing an enzyme and a substrate. Simply substitute the named enzyme/substrate from the question in the exam. If it doesn't give you one, then chose a simple one like a triglyceride and lipase.

1. reference to use of a range of substrate (named substrate) concentrations ;

2. idea of mixing (enzyme and substrate) ;

3. identification of a suitable dependent variable. pH ;

4. description of how to measure the dependent variable e.g. use of pH indicator ;

5. reference to measuring time ;

6. description of how to calculate (initial) rate of reaction ;

7. idea of repeating experiment without the enzyme ;

8. idea of control of enzyme (named enzyme) concentration;

9. reference to one other named controlled variable (e.g. temperature, type of [named substrate],volume of solutions) ;

10. reference to {replicates / repeats} (using the same [named substrate] concentration) ;

Can you do this for all the other ones If you don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Type in McGraw Hill Mehelson and Stahl and there's a short clip explaining how it works. Just remember first generation there is one heavy nitrogen 15 band and one normal nitrogen 14 band causing it to be in the middle and in the second generation there's one light band and one medium band. I draw a picture on the whiteboard for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :smile: x
Pinocytosis? Human genome project? (Thought that was part of unit 2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just gone through the Unit 1 text book and this all appears...
Reply 596
Can you do this for all the other ones If you don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The other core practicals? I'll get on it now
Everyone ready? Literally going crazy flicking through the textbook!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we ever have to draw a monohybrid cross or can i stick to the punnet sauare ???
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Do we ever have to draw a monohybrid cross or can i stick to the punnet sauare ???

You can stick to the punnet square

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending