The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology - 6B101 + 6B102 - Unit 1 and Unit 2 Exam Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medically

Oh no... 3 marks down the drain :frown:
Yea you can they that aswel. But I think ph is wrong lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well! It was only a couple of marks :smile:
Original post by shooting_stars
But how are u supposed to control the temperature? You cant really use a waterbath like for the membrane permeability one because the daphnia are not in water during the experiment...

I put volume of caffeine and size of daphnia instead

I put volume and time of exposure
Original post by ezrad
thats what i wrote i hope it works wit an explanation at least 3 / 4 possible mrks

what was your explanation?

I said exercies = more 'good' hdl to remove bad cholesterol and something else but i didnt really know tbh
Original post by splog23
Same, i'd expect everyone to get that one as it's just subbing in numbers. Was wondering about degree of accuracy, but decided to leave it as 30.02

A lot of people just wrote 30 but I doubt it matters that much :smile:
Original post by BMWM3
Ikr xD but would i still get marks for what i wrote?? Is it correct?

oh yeah definitely :smile:

yep I go that :smile:
So glad nothing on diuretcis / statins etc didnt come up.

I'd say it was nice overall as a oaoer, couple more tricky questions with the amino acids and the cardiac cycle
Reply 989
But how are u supposed to control the temperature? You cant really use a waterbath like for the membrane permeability one because the daphnia are not in water during the experiment...

Temperature can work because You can Just mention using a thermometer to constantly monitor the temperature.
I also put size of Daphnia, and said we can do this by picking similar sized Daphnia by extracting them with a pipette and taking the Daphnia from the same pond :biggrin:
For temp, (i did daphnia size and volume of caffeine solution-eg. number of drops etc) i think you would need to mention that the cotton wool should be kept damp, as the light from the microscope would seriously heat up that poor little thing and make its heartbeat go all over the place, not to mention the lack of an aqueous environment...but using water at room temp for the cotton wool would probably do it.
Again, i'm guessing, and probably wrong :/

Reply 991
What were the values for the BMI again? 90kg and what was the height?

I got a BMI of 31.02 but now I'm getting a little worried
Original post by exoticmedgirl_2017
yep I go that :smile:

Got it too
Reply 993
Original post by Hammy_23
oh yeah definitely :smile:

I reckon i could possibly lose a mark for spelling chlorionic villus sampling wrong tho xD
Original post by ezaraf
why does daphnia need a heart?, i talked about it being a pump to transport substances fast and high pressures, mass flow etc.... but then i said to overcome the limitations of diffusion as it has a small SA:V but i know it doesn't coz it as small anyone

I said too big so diffusion not sufficient.
Heart needed to pump blood round taking vital nutrients + o2 to cells and remove co2
Original post by homholz

Your right lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 996
Original post by homholz

Correct. He was stage 1 obese i believe?
Original post by Simmmi02
A lot of people just wrote 30 but I doubt it matters that much :smile:

it was 31.02 wasnt it?
Original post by splog23
For temp, (i did daphnia size and volume of caffeine solution-eg. number of drops etc) i think you would need to mention that the cotton wool should be kept damp, as the light from the microscope would seriously heat up that poor little thing and make its heartbeat go all over the place, not to mention the lack of an aqueous environment...but using water at room temp for the cotton wool would probably do it.
Again, i'm guessing, and probably wrong :/

I put size, wasn't concn of caffeine changing thought to see the effect?
Let's all forget this and carry on with our next exams. Gl and revise now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending