The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Young people of today are just so vain??!

More and more as the years go by young people are growing up and developing social trends.

It just seems everyone nowadays is so hellbent on Snapchat, Instagram (and of course facebook) and so on. Honestly, I'm sick to death of all the POSING. Everything is one big pose and looking for attention. Whether it's a picture of you abroad in some fancy party with fancy people holding a champagne bottle, or a picture of your new gold phone or a picture of your belongings which you take on your travels - it just seems all a bit too obsessive and narcissistic to me.

This is even amongst my friends. You can't have a conversation or a meeting without some chat about a snapchat thing or let's take a photo for this or something. It's so humanless and of just no worth at all. It feels like the 12/13/14/15 year olds are already well underway into the social networking/posing way of life. I don't even think there's anything wrong with putting up a good picture of yourself and even I may do it occasionally.

Yet it just seems NORMAL nowadays for you to be constantly uploading your life onto social sites for coverage, attention and sadly respect. If you don't follow this way of life you are sort of left behind or forgotten about. Without exaggeration, any girl's instagram who I click on is just pictures of her trying her hardest to look her best. It's really sad. Just brushing up pictures of her looking fabulous and REALLY making an effort towards her profile overall. It's just pathetic really, such a soulless way of living. Not healthy.

Does anyone else think similarly? What happened to just enjoying your life? People are so social status/respect orientated.

For the record I don't have an instagram or snapchat account or anything else, just a facebook which I barely use. I can't stand these things - it's pure and utter vanity/attention seeking. It just encourages you to be vain - I can't understand how it makes people happy.

Edit: I also think that this social networking prominence just erodes human interaction, and I believe that it's growth will only stifle natural normal relationships. I also believe this is one reason why I personally find it difficult to get a girlfriend (which has a few elements). But this is one of them. It's hard to find young people who think the same way I do about these things, someone who can remove themself from trying to be in the limelight and just be totally at peace with themself and enjoy life without needing to pucker up for people.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yes, it is a cancer
Reply 2
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I only have Facebook and twitter(hardly go on this) lol.
I don't even use Twitter or Instagram and I feel so out of the loop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I think it is great - not the social media selfies and stuff like that, that's superficial and the product of an incrase in insecurities.

However, I would say I'm rather vain, yet I don't use any social media bar this site! I only got a smartphone a month ago and I'm 19 in my second year of university, so the two things do not go hand in hand.

What's good about vanity? It encourages people to do better and better and better in life. There's none of this bull**** lethargy from a hundreds of years ago where you fail at life with a ****ty education and job and manage to survive nonetheless through blowing away your money on prostitutes and booze while worshipping every other day and living a life of delusion and no progress.

These days any ****er from any ****ty background can learn to play ll sorts of instruments, teach themselves to sing, learn multiple languages online, teach them the last thousand years of history, read academic journals online in all different languages, learn crazy skills online and so on. The vanity and competition only serves to encourage people to better one another and as a whole it means the average human nowadays is just infinitely superior to the average human from 100 years ago. More educated, more skilled, more talented etc.
[video="youtube;ercOmLhFtPc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ercOmLhFtPc&spfreload=10[/video]

Saw this video a few days ago and wanted to cry because it's so true, our generation descending into a special breed of idiot, and the scariest part is that it's only gonna get worse. I find it insane that we live in a culture where you can become famous for posting butt pics on instagram, or messing with random strangers for vines and whatnot. And since kids are just even more thirsty for attention and pathetically impressionable, they'll do anything to try and stand out. I hope they build a Mars colony within the next 10 years so I can get my family the hell off this rock
Yeah like this is something completely new :colonhash:

Generally speaking you learn as you get older.... it's called experience, it's why people grow out of things or stop doings stupid stuff.

However you still have plenty of vain and stupid adults. The idea of young people all being vain or stupid is rather ageist imo. You all sound like old pensioners.
There have always been idiots in the world, but now the internet has given them a stage on which they can show themselves to the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Selfies weren't invented by this generation. They began in the 19th century when photography became an affordable hobby.
This generation isn't the inventor of facebook, twitter, instagram etc but one of its biggest demographics. Bare in mind we are just the users and the people who enabled all of this to happen aren't young people. We're just the users.
Using social media also enables us to keep up with current events.
The attitude we have about our own generation is absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for. Don't listen to the media when it comes to how awful and lazy young people are - it's just an easy way to make profit and cause controversy.
You might want to look into more about millennials and generation z. This article by the BBC is a interesting read.
'Because of the way Gen Z uses technology, some researchers believe its members may surprisingly prove more adept at face-to-face communication than millennials.'
'Gen Z is expected to be more pragmatic than millennials, realising opportunities aren’t boundless and that they need to master in-demand skills.'
Original post by VergeofInsanity
More and more as the years go by young people are growing up and developing social trends.

I will tell you the solution

does anyone on instagram post pictures of them helping homeless people, and helping the disabled ?

there might be one or two, but it's rare
read my other thread

I have lost patience and given up on thick people after years of trying
It's a product of the retro-Reaganite narcissism and ckass warfare in the West, in the absence of the cpmmunity values and institutions which once held us together. That old cliche, we are connected to everyone these days but are more alone where it matters.
I totally agree young people are vain. The rise of the selfie is perhaps the one that grates on my nerves the most.
Yeah the selfie is most annoying, how are we ever going to get rid of it? Only when something even more vain comes along?
The selfie is just unbearable, I mean I can understand taking a selfie with a famous person or taking a selfie at a famous sight or at an event or whatever, something that is memorable and should be captured, however when you post a selfie standing in front of the mirror and posing just to put it on Instagram and see how many likes and 'omg youre so hot' posts you can get is really sad. :redface:
I agree.

Original post by AnnieGakusei
I totally agree young people are vain. The rise of the selfie is perhaps the one that grates on my nerves the most.

Original post by Lt.Hartigan
Yeah the selfie is most annoying, how are we ever going to get rid of it? Only when something even more vain comes along?

Original post by driftawaay
The selfie is just unbearable, I mean I can understand taking a selfie with a famous person or taking a selfie at a famous sight or at an event or whatever, something that is memorable and should be captured, however when you post a selfie standing in front of the mirror and posing just to put it on Instagram and see how many likes and 'omg youre so hot' posts you can get is really sad. :redface:

What's wrong with just putting a picture of yourself up online? It's not like all people who post pictures of themselves think the same way.
Original post by Protégé
I agree.

What's wrong with just putting a picture of yourself up online? It's not like all people who post pictures of themselves think the same way.

I didnt say just putting a piture of yourself online is bad in itself, I have put pics of myself online before. Its just that there really is anepidemic of vain people posting a new selfie of themselves everyday, standing in front of the mirror flexing their muscles/pouting with their tits out and cum when they hit a hundred likes and when someone comments they're got they even try to act humble or surprised that they are getting attention. :colonhash:
lol he said "of" today. *giggles behind hand*
Original post by driftawaay
I didnt say just putting a piture of yourself online is bad in itself, I have put pics of myself online before. Its just that there really is anepidemic of vain people posting a new selfie of themselves everyday, standing in front of the mirror flexing their muscles/pouting with their tits out and cum when they hit a hundred likes and when someone comments they're got they even try to act humble or surprised that they are getting attention. :colonhash:

Agreed. I don't mind people uploading pictures regularly if it's just them looking nice, it's irritating when you see people trying to show off with their assets though.

Latest

Trending

Trending