The Student Room Group

Unit 2 Government and Politics Edexcel AS level Examples?

To really excel at politics we have been told we need current examples on all our topics (The constitution, PM and cabinet, Parliament and the Judiciary). Has anyone got any specific examples like reforms, where parliamentary majority has been over ruled etc? I'm looking to make a document on all the examples I could remember and use in the exam?

Many thanks!! :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

For parliament examples are:
2008 Detention of terrorism - Gordon Brown defeated to extend detention to 42 days. He was defeated in the house if Lords.

2011 fixed term parliament bill was defeated the first time in the house of commons. House of Lords defeated coalition government on provision to introduce 5 year fixed parliament.

These are 2 examples of how parliament controls government
Original post by shanny007
To really excel at politics we have been told we need current examples on all our topics (The constitution, PM and cabinet, Parliament and the Judiciary). Has anyone got any specific examples like reforms, where parliamentary majority has been over ruled etc? I'm looking to make a document on all the examples I could remember and use in the exam?

Many thanks!! :smile:

For Pm and Cabinet. Examples you need is when parliament vote against Cameron getting involved in Syria, when house of commons voted against Tony Blair on the Iraq war and when they voted against Cameron when he wanted to privatise the forest
To date, David Cameron's coalition government has been defeated six times in the House of Commons.

6 December 2011 - A motion 'That this House has considered the matter of the economy' was defeated by 79–213. Such a motion is normally agreed without a division but the Opposition forced a vote for which the Government whips were unprepared.[74]

31 October 2012 - A rebel amendment calling for a real terms cut in the European Union budget was passed by 307-294.[75]

29 August 2013 - A motion provisionally authorising military intervention in the Syrian civil war was defeated 285-272.[76]

16 July 2014 - A Ten Minute Rule motion on a bill authorising the Office for Budget Responsibility to scrutinise Opposition manifestos was passed 203–16, after the Opposition forced a division aimed to catch the new Chief Whip, Michael Gove, off-guard in his first full day in office.[77]

5 September 2014 - A private member's bill by Lib Dem MP Andrew George to restrict the cases in which the under-occupancy penalty (bedroom tax)could be levied was passed 306–231, with the coalition partners imposing three-line whips on opposite sides of the debate.[78]

18 November 2014 - A Lib Dem rebel amendment giving more freedom to pub landlords to negotiate rents and beer prices with their parent pub chain was passed 284–269.[79]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending