The Student Room Group

Do we take loneliness seriously enough?

Two Swansea University work experience students have recently written an article for Age Cymru Swansea Bay about loneliness which we wanted to share with you.
Do we take loneliness seriously enough? Is loneliness considered a normal part of ageing? What are your thoughts?
You can read the whole article here: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/cymru/swanseabay/information--advice/information--advice-blog/dates/2015/4/do-we-take-loneliness-seriously-enough/
Absolutely not, the rhetoric that loners are either bitter misanthropes, overly neurotic or engaging in self-inflicted pity parties creates a vicious negative feedback loop making ir difficult to make friends. Involuntary social isolation especially for an extended period of time is one of the highest aggravating factors for depression, anxiety and other mental health problems. In the case of elderly people, those with less opportunity to connect with others faced an increased risk of early onset of dementia and Alzheimers. Loneliness can even cause premature heart disease.
Reply 2
Loneliness seems to become more of a normal thing to consider amongst the elderly, but that doesn't mean it's right.

We do need to take it more seriously. There is nothing more dangerous than to be lonely with only your own mind to tear you apart :tongue:
I think loneliness is much worse for elderly people. I myself wouldn't mind being lonely at my current age but I wouldn't like being lonely while elderly. When you're younger you have the chance to do so much more, work, travel, etc.
I agree that elderly people suffer loneliness worse for numerous reasons, but of course that is not to suggest that young people don't suffer greatly from it too! It probably has a fair bit of stigma as admitting that you are lonely usually hints that you don't have many friends or people don't like being with you or you're a hermit etc :redface:

It would definitely be a good thing if it were taken more seriously. Loneliness is upsetting and frustrating and sparks a lot of self hate and pity in oneself. I sympathise immensely with others who suffer it :console:
To be honest, the world has gained the massive ability to communicate without interacting. Sitting in doors talking to people probably defines loneliness the fact people ignore people who may suffer with it is bad.

The elderly? Yeah they suffer from it. [Put them all in homes and they then have friends or educate them on computers of how to interact online safely]
Young people? [Put them in schools and encourage them to be social even if minor groups]

Loneliness is what mostly causes isolation, depression, stress, anti social-ness and tons of other mental problems. To a degree I believe loneliness is the first stage of a mental illness in most situations.

Pet animals normally go to quiet 'out of the way' places to die...
People who are lonely, well...
With no social life they are unable to interact with society and have effectively died because of the requirement of communication.

Loneliness should be targeted as the precursor of other more serious mental illnesses. This knowledge and prevention could help people before they get to the stage we can't turn them back from.

Quick Reply

Latest