The Student Room Group

S1 help

It's part b and c.Now idea what they are talking about.I also included my workings for part a.
For b. Your value for r denotes the correlation. What is your value for r?

for c. You are supposed to know the effects on r through linear scaling.
Original post by Bobjim12
For b. Your value for r denotes the correlation. What is your value for r?

for c. You are supposed to know the effects on r through linear scaling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My value for r is -0.122.
I have no idea about the linear scaling you are talking about.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

My value for r is -0.122.
I have no idea about the linear scaling you are talking about.

I'm not going to bother calculating r so i am going to assume your value is correct. values of r between +/- 0.3 have a low correlation, values of r of +/-0.3 to +/-0.6 have medium correlation and so forth. What does your value of r correspond with the correlation?

For c. They are saying that they are going to change their value of km in to files (which i think is 1 mile = 1.6 km). so x = 5/8x, this is called linear scaling. r is unaffected by linear scaling.
I'm not going to bother calculating r so i am going to assume your value is correct. values of r between +/- 0.3 have a low correlation, values of r of +/-0.3 to +/-0.6 have medium correlation and so forth. What does your value of r correspond with the correlation?

For c. They are saying that they are going to change their value of km in to files (which i think is 1 mile = 1.6 km). so x = 5/8x, this is called linear scaling. r is unaffected by linear scaling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

What have you put as your answers?
What have you put as your answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For part b,I have said there is no relationship,since the correlation between annual income and distance driven is very low.
For part c I said there would be no effect on r as r is unaffected by linear scaling.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
For part b,I have said there is no relationship,since the correlation between annual income and distance driven is very low.
For part c I said there would be no effect on r as r is unaffected by linear scaling.

C would be right.

Check your answer for b. You are correct in saying the correlation is low but there may be a very slim relationship, not sure. Check the answer.
C would be right.

Check your answer for b. You are correct in saying the correlation is low but there may be a very slim relationship, not sure. Check the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My answer for b seems right,but the mark scheme allows for a variety of answers
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

My answer for b seems right,but the mark scheme allows for a variety of answers

Yeah ok fair enough, some might say a value of r being 0.1 is a negligible relationship so no relationship is a valid answer, although statistically there is a relationship, albeit weak.

Quick Reply

Latest