The Student Room Group

C2 & C3 - AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY 14th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by _Charlotte15
That might be right, but I got the ratio 1 and 1.5 so you have to round them. Where did the 2 and 3 come from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to double 1 and 1.5 so that it's the same ratio but there are no decimals.
I got Pb30O45, but I didn't simplify it to Pb2O3 :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by spnlove
You have to double 1 and 1.5 so that it's the same ratio but there are no decimals.

That's another 2 marks lost then
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
That's another 2 marks lost then
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry that was basically the only question I could do! I messed up sooo many!
I divided the masses by the relative atomic masses to get the moles. I then multiplied the moles by 1000 to get a whole number of 30 and 45. Then I said the empirical formula was Pb30O45, but I didn't realise I could simplify it to Pb2O3 :frown: Stupid mistake.
Original post by spnlove
Don't worry that was basically the only question I could do! I messed up sooo many!

Same it was so difficult!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spnlove

I spoke to my chem teacher post-exam, you do have to double it to get integers, I forgot and only used 1:1.5 but i'm sure we'll get method marks
Reply 27
That might be right, but I got the ratio 1 and 1.5 so you have to round them. Where did the 2 and 3 come from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't it something like 6.61/207 for Pb and 0.72/16 for 02
so thats 0.0319323671 for Pb and 0.045 for 0xygen
0.045 / 0.030
so ratio of 2:3 i think?! Or something like that, i'm not 100% sure!
Original post by mkea
Wasn't it something like 6.61/207 for Pb and 0.72/16 for 02
so thats 0.0319323671 for Pb and 0.045 for 0xygen
0.045 / 0.030
so ratio of 2:3 i think?! Or something like that, i'm not 100% sure!

Empirical formula is the simplest (whole number) ratio. So I multiplied it by 1000. Not sure if that's right, but we'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't round numbers up when you find the empirical formula as you have to find the lowest common factor (i think that's right, i dunno, something like that) between both of them. Because you can't put Pb1O1.5 you have to multiply the two numbers by two so that 1.5 becomes a whole number. You can't round it because what you do to one number, you have to do the same to the other. Hope that kind of helps :/
Original post by alexhambrook
I spoke to my chem teacher post-exam, you do have to double it to get integers, I forgot and only used 1:1.5 but i'm sure we'll get method marks

Yes surely we'll get some marks because we were half way there. How many marks was it worth again, 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, you have to make the two numbers whole, and as the numbers are 1 and 1.5, the easiest way to do this is to double them both, making it 2 and three, hence the answer is Pb2O3. You don't round as what you do to one number you have to do with the other number.
Original post by emma0_0star
You can't round numbers up when you find the empirical formula as you have to find the lowest common factor (i think that's right, i dunno, something like that) between both of them. Because you can't put Pb1O1.5 you have to multiply the two numbers by two so that 1.5 becomes a whole number. You can't round it because what you do to one number, you have to do the same to the other. Hope that kind of helps :/

Oh god yeah :frown: which I'd have seen this last night haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LukeMontgomery
Basically, you have to make the two numbers whole, and as the numbers are 1 and 1.5, the easiest way to do this is to double them both, making it 2 and three, hence the answer is Pb2O3. You don't round as what you do to one number you have to do with the other number.

Yes I understand now, wasted an easy two marks. Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Olivia197
What did you put for explaining the 6 mark question on C2 and the 5 mark question on C3 about the two methods?

For the C2 paper I put: as concentration increases, the temperature change also increases and I explained collision theory. Then I said the temperature change stopped at 0.7 moles and it was constant because the rate of reaction stopped and reactants stopped reacting.
For the C3 paper, the 5 mark question was difficult. So I made some stuff up about: From the precipitate you can weigh it so it was more accurate. And for the titration method I said it is accurate as it tells you exactly how much acid you need. And I made a few other points.
What did you put for those questions?
Reply 35
Original post by RachJess4
I thoguht C3 was a pretty good paper! Most questions were just reproducing information from the spec rather than having to explain stuff which was awesome! I'm pretty sure I failed the 5 marker on the different methods of finding the concentration of a substance... I couldn't think of anything! I know I made a LOT of silly mistakes in C2 though :/

Yes I'm the same, I made silly mistakes in both papers. For example for the empiracal formula question I read the calculater wrong, I read it as 15, when it was 1.5, so I'm annoyed at that.
Reply 36
what was the ethical issues for putting iodine in people's diet???
and how did u balanced the equation??
Reply 37
Original post by hoorya
what was the ethical issues for putting iodine in people's diet???
and how did u balanced the equation??

For the ethical issues, I said that it was peoples choice if they wanted iodine in their diet.
For balancing equation I put a 2 on the reactants second part
Reply 38
what about the questions said tick two boxes?
i said the 2nd and the forth one?
Original post by LoganF
For the C2 paper I put: as concentration increases, the temperature change also increases and I explained collision theory. Then I said the temperature change stopped at 0.7 moles and it was constant because the rate of reaction stopped and reactants stopped reacting.
For the C3 paper, the 5 mark question was difficult. So I made some stuff up about: From the precipitate you can weigh it so it was more accurate. And for the titration method I said it is accurate as it tells you exactly how much acid you need. And I made a few other points.
What did you put for those questions?

I put the same for the 6 marker, then for the 5 marker i said that when weighing you could lose some of the product during filtration/drying so this would make the results less valid/incorrect, but since titrations are normally done to the nearest cm3 the resolution is low so this would affect the calculation of the concentration? I also said that titrations would have to be repeated a few times with the indicator to create a mean so any anomalies wouldnt affect it when you dont have the indicator so this'd take quite a long time to do :/

but the some of the questions were really confusing, both papers were nothing like i expected :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending