The Student Room Group

Are anti-feminists sexist beasts or just stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Pretty sure it's just the whole load of misconceptions about feminism. Men heard the "fem" part of the name and concluded women must be trying to overpower them. The only reason it's called feminism is to emphasise that it's the women that have been the oppressed gender for so long.

Not going to call myself a full on feminist because I don't take part in many activities to promote it and etc but I just consider myself someone who's all for equality, for everyone no matter what your gender identity, sexuality, background, religion (or none) and etc. If someone claims to be antifeminists they're literally saying they don't want people to be equal. Sounds a bit stupid to me but oh well :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
Pretty sure it's just the whole load of misconceptions about feminism. Men heard the "fem" part of the name and concluded women must be trying to overpower them. The only reason it's called feminism is to emphasise that it's the women that have been the oppressed gender for so long.

Not going to call myself a full on feminist because I don't take part in many activities to promote it and etc but I just consider myself someone who's all for equality, for everyone no matter what your gender identity, sexuality, background, religion (or none) and etc. If someone claims to be antifeminists they're literally saying they don't want people to be equal. Sounds a bit stupid to me but oh well :smile:

Could you kindly not?

If they can provide a structured and reasoned argument as to why they don't think feminism is good then I think they deserve to have their opinion valued but in practice it's a difficult opinion to push.

Literally yes, but I think most 'anti-feminists' just object to the more radical, borderline misandrist form of feminism and not its core values of equality.
Considering I discriminate on who I sleep with based on sex, I must be sexist.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Could you kindly not?

Well what's the problem?

The name itself created confusion. People thought women were actively trying to become superior to men, whereas the only thing they're really doing is trying to create the equality between genders.
Or maybe they feel disillusioned with the cause of feminism due hostile remarks such as these from third-wave feminists.

And maybe ponder that thought for a while rather than immediately attacking it due to the fact that it doesn't suit your ideal narrative.
Could you kindly not?

Well what's the problem?

The name itself created confusion. People thought women were actively trying to become superior to men, whereas the only thing they're really doing is trying to create the equality between genders.

I have seen people say things along the lines of "Feminism is only for women, that's why it's called feminism, I prefer equalism" ... And then of course, you've got that ****ing dumb meninist sh*te.
Well what's the problem?

It's outright unfair to say it is specifically men that make that assumption, and only for the reasons you stated.
It's outright unfair to say it is specifically men that make that assumption, and only for the reasons you stated.

Ok maybe I didn't say this very clearly but I was referring to mainly things like meninism and how the misconceptions arise
Do you see how in meninism the fem is replaced with men? Is it because of the fear of overpowerment or is it just because these men are absolute dicks to women trying to fight for equal rights? It's either one of them
Ok maybe I didn't say this very clearly but I was referring to mainly things like meninism and how the misconceptions arise
Do you see how in meninism the fem is replaced with men? Is it because of the fear of overpowerment or is it just because these men are absolute dicks to women trying to fight for equal rights? It's either one of them

Well, they'll be a mixture of both. Though, I feel like some amount of 'menists' are just trying to counter extremist feminism by promoting equality over Female dominance; in that sense, they are more Feminist than the extreme Feminists (those who believe women > men. I'm not sure what else to refer to them as).

It's because they feel that feminism personally attacks their way of life; a product of radical feminism. You cannot blame them for wanting to defend their gender. Just look at how the church reacted when people started criticising them for not accepting gay marriage.
@napkinsquirrel @WhisperingTide

Those who believe women>men aren't feminists because they don't want equality, they want to dominate. Even if they try to call themselves that, they're just not feminists.

Therefore, the actual feminists aren't affecting the men's lives. They can do what they're doing and etc, the feminists are simply working to bring women up to the same level. Men aren't threatened in this way, so I don't see how they're trying to defend their gender?
@napkinsquirrel @WhisperingTide

Those who believe women>men aren't feminists because they don't want equality, they want to dominate. Even if they try to call themselves that, they're just not feminists.

Therefore, the actual feminists aren't affecting the men's lives. They can do what they're doing and etc, the feminists are simply working to bring women up to the same level. Men aren't threatened in this way, so I don't see how they're trying to defend their gender?

It's not that the theory of gender equality is threatening them, it's the opinions of vocal radical feminists that they feel threatened by. As has been said before in this thread it's not a problem with feminism itself but rather how feminists are perceived by people with no prior knowledge of actual feminism or the actual push for equal rights. For example, if a screencap of a women is circulated around the internet saying that she hates the patriarchy because all men are pigs and that she's not going to breastfeed her child it it's male because men already have an advantage in life then that is very offensive to men and men feel that people like this "feminist" are threatening the male gender. Just look at how you all react when you see men's rights activism; your own movement feels threatened.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by napkinsquirrel
It's not that the theory of gender equality is threatening them, it's the opinions of vocal radical feminists that they feel threatened by. As has been said before in this thread it's not a problem with feminism itself but rather how feminists are perceived by people with no prior knowledge of actual feminism or the actual push for equal rights. For example, if a screencap of a women is circulated around the internet saying that she hates the patriarchy because all men are pigs and that she's not going to breastfeed her child it it's male because men already have an advantage in life then that is very offensive to men and men feel that people like this "feminist" are threatening the male gender. Just look at how you all react when you see men's rights activism; your own movement feels threatened.

Oh no I don't feel threatened at all? I'm not sure what meninism is aiming to do but I'm most certainly not really much bothered that it's there- it's just the fact that is pretty much taking the piss out of women who are trying to bring in equality.

Once again, what you're describing is certainly not feminism and shouldn't be called that as it fuels the misconceptions. It's unfair for actual feminists who want the same rights for everyone to be labelled as a bunch of furious women trying to take the male population out of existence. This has been my point all along: calling these people extreme or radical feminists is just wrong. They're simply not to be called feminists as it brings the whole interpretation of such behaviour down onto normal equal rights activists too
Okay, the title in itself shows that feminists are just silly women trying to 'empower' themselves by barking at anyone else with a different opinion- 'sexist beasts' or 'just stupid'? For goodness sake, grow up. I'm female but I can't stand any of the 'feminist' women in the First World countries because as a general rule, they're all hypocrites. Obviously, I'm all for education, equal pay, and basic human rights- especially in the third world- but Feminism as developed way past that. None of you so-called feminists are actually supporting these things- rather, you're crying over the fact that women are being objectified on magazine covers. Don't hate on the men, ladies. Ask the women why they're doing it? Because they want to- not because they're short of money, or are being forced to- it makes them feel wanted or it make them feel good- is that the men's fault?

At the end of the day, 'feminist' is now synonymous with anti-male/male-hate. All my English teachers were feminists, constantly trying to make the kids follow their ideals- sure they're 'self-empowered', but they were also bitter, didn't have partners (and sure, I get you don't need a man-you're a strong independent woman!- but it's human nature) and spent most of their time caught up in angst pretending they're under prejudice, when they're really weren't.

And the wage gap- sure, if there's a male doctor and a female doctor getting separate wages, protest! Complain! but God knows the First World feminists will be somewhere else crying over the fact that they have a right to be fat and that they don't have to conform to societies standards of being a woman if they don't want to. The thing is, you're a woman, you can't get away from it. Guys see hot men with six pack's everywhere- they don't cry, they generally don't care- they might even start going to the gym. Feminists are so desperate to show that they're strong and they don't care, but they're really just showing how emotional they really are. I understand that things are different now, but women were supposed to be cared for- we're meant to birth the children, we're generally (don't even try to lie to yourself!) weaker. Men went out to hunt while the women stayed back and cared for the kids. We're nurturing, its our nature.

These things show in careers as well- be honest with yourself- men do harder jobs. You wonder why men are on average getting paid higher salaries? Because THEY are the engineers, physicians, builders. Women are the hairdressers, make-up artists, child-minders- we tend to do comforting jobs. Sure, we have women doctors and engineers and builders- but are there even close to as many? Even careers such an journalism and English, which all girls go for- the most influential ones are equally as many men as women- is that the case with the generally male jobs I listed? Sure, there's Marie Curie... but there's Alan Turing, John Nash, Stephen Hawking, Einstein, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Newton etc.

I wouldn't say I'm anti-feminist, but I am anti-you OP and anyone else that shares the same opinion- just like I'm anti-Jihadist. I've got nothing against Muslims, but like someone said above I think, feminism has been redefined into something much more extreme.

If you want it to get to a point where we can no longer identify ourselves by gender, that's fine. You've already started mentally castrating men, might as well do it physically. Heck, stick a sausage down your pants if it makes you feel any better. But don't go complaining about how chivalry is dead when he doesn't open the door for you, or decides you can propose or that it's your job to bring in the money while he looks after the kids because I know a lot of women appreciate a lot of the gender stereotypes.

...And if you truly want equality, you better not complain when he punches back!

PS. I do Physics and Maths- legit, I am the only girl in both my classes. I get that women are trying to redefine what being a woman is- but I'm just stating the facts. I might be the exception, but women don't do these subjects, as a rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PR5ryhnYtQ

I also found this video interesting- funny how we treat domestic violence towards a woman so differently.
Oh no I don't feel threatened at all? I'm not sure what meninism is aiming to do but I'm most certainly not really much bothered that it's there- it's just the fact that is pretty much taking the piss out of women who are trying to bring in equality.

Once again, what you're describing is certainly not feminism and shouldn't be called that as it fuels the misconceptions. It's unfair for actual feminists who want the same rights for everyone to be labelled as a bunch of furious women trying to take the male population out of existence. This has been my point all along: calling these people extreme or radical feminists is just wrong. They're simply not to be called feminists as it brings the whole interpretation of such behaviour down onto normal equal rights activists too

My point is not that they don't want equal rights for women, my point is that they feel represented by radical man haters acting in the name of feminism.

The only people who can oust these poseur feminists who actually do have a grudge against men are normal feminists such as yourself. It is precisely my point that what I'm describing is not feminism but the people who pose these viewpoints hijack the feminist movement in order to convince people to espouse their views.
Original post by napkinsquirrel
My point is not that they don't want equal rights for women, my point is that they feel represented by radical man haters acting in the name of feminism.

The only people who can oust these poseur feminists who actually do have a grudge against men are normal feminists such as yourself. It is precisely my point that what I'm describing is not feminism but the people who pose these viewpoints hijack the feminist movement in order to convince people to espouse their views.

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying. I do not agree at all with the movement against men- once again they're absolutely fine doing their thing. It's sickening to think that such a huge number of people have little knowledge of feminism because their views have been altered by what's shown in media (like the picture of the woman you described).

If feminism was portrayed as what it really is I actually think we would've already had equality a long time ago.
Yeah I definitely see what you're saying. I do not agree at all with the movement against men- once again they're absolutely fine doing their thing. It's sickening to think that such a huge number of people have little knowledge of feminism because their views have been altered by what's shown in media (like the picture of the woman you described).

If feminism was portrayed as what it really is I actually think we would've already had equality a long time ago.

It's been said before:

Feminist: "Do you support feminism?"

Man: "No, I don't want angry, hairy-armpitted man haters turning up at my doorstep to give me my mandatory castration as part of the new Matriarchal movement."

Feminist: "Okay, but do you support equal rights between genders?"

Man: "Oh yeah of course."

At the end of the day, it's really just down to semantics; call it whatever but the point is that the vast majority of people want equal rights between genders and to be honest, that's the only thing that really counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending