The Student Room Group

Depression and GP. Please HELP

Has anyone went to their GPs to get help for depression or similar things and how did it go, what happened?

I have an appointment on tuesday and I'm really nervous. I don't know what to expect or what to even say. I have not spoken to anyone about this apart from my boyfriend and I feel like I really need to get help as I have nowhere else to turn.

Please reply, even if you haven't done it yourself maybe you could offer me some other advice.
Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone went to their GPs to get help for depression or similar things and how did it go, what happened?

I have an appointment on tuesday and I'm really nervous. I don't know what to expect or what to even say. I have not spoken to anyone about this apart from my boyfriend and I feel like I really need to get help as I have nowhere else to turn.

Please reply, even if you haven't done it yourself maybe you could offer me some other advice.

Hi, I've been in your shoes. What I suggest is that when you sit down and your Doctor asked ''what can I help you with?'' just be upfront with them and tell them that you believe you have depression. They'll either ask you why you believe that or they'll just let you continue to speak. List your symptoms to the doctor e.g. feelings of hopelessness, no longer interested in your hobbies etc and how that is affecting your life (e.g difficulty concentrating at work/school/uni) and tell them how long it has been going on for (number of weeks/months/years) let them know you've been on the NHS website and read about depression and taken the self-assessment:
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx

Basically, to prevent yourself from freezing up you need to have it in your head as a plan like this:

1. Tell them you believe you have depression
2. List symptoms you've experienced and how these are affecting your life
3. Tell them how long you've been experiencing this
4. Tell them you'd like help because you want to feel better

They might suggest medication or speaking to someone - usually, in my experience they offer medication on the day but they'll put you on waiting list to speak to a professional and these waiting lists are often months long so if you really need to speak to a professional please google local charities that offer counselling because their waiting lists are usually much shorter and you can self refer - you don't need a doctor to do it.

Most importantly, don't get worked up about it - it will be fine, honestly.
I think the advice already given is good but just to add: I would recommend writing all your symptoms down (even bullet points would do). When you feel nervous (which is totally understandable here) it can be difficult to remember everything, or even if you tense up and can't get your points across you still have the list of symptoms to look at/give to the doctor.

It can be really scary to make this first step but hopefully it will mean you get help and can get on your way to feeling better.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
I can't say I've been in your shoes, but nonetheless good luck and well done for being brave enough to even make an appointment, I hope it goes well for you.
Reply 4
I have been in your shoes recently and know how you feel, if you feel to afraid to talk like I was, (had a few attempts at a proper diagnosis that didn't go so well :frown: ) so I typed out everything I felt, so the doctor could see clearly what was going on with me :smile: hope that it goes well for you!
Reply 5
Hi, I've been in your shoes. What I suggest is that when you sit down and your Doctor asked ''what can I help you with?'' just be upfront with them and tell them that you believe you have depression. They'll either ask you why you believe that or they'll just let you continue to speak. List your symptoms to the doctor e.g. feelings of hopelessness, no longer interested in your hobbies etc and how that is affecting your life (e.g difficulty concentrating at work/school/uni) and tell them how long it has been going on for (number of weeks/months/years) let them know you've been on the NHS website and read about depression and taken the self-assessment:
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/depression.aspx

Basically, to prevent yourself from freezing up you need to have it in your head as a plan like this:

1. Tell them you believe you have depression
2. List symptoms you've experienced and how these are affecting your life
3. Tell them how long you've been experiencing this
4. Tell them you'd like help because you want to feel better

They might suggest medication or speaking to someone - usually, in my experience they offer medication on the day but they'll put you on waiting list to speak to a professional and these waiting lists are often months long so if you really need to speak to a professional please google local charities that offer counselling because their waiting lists are usually much shorter and you can self refer - you don't need a doctor to do it.

Most importantly, don't get worked up about it - it will be fine, honestly.

Original post by Sabertooth
I think the advice already given is good but just to add: I would recommend writing all your symptoms down (even bullet points would do). When you feel nervous (which is totally understandable here) it can be difficult to remember everything, or even if you tense up and can't get your points across you still have the list of symptoms to look at/give to the doctor.

It can be really scary to make this first step but hopefully it will mean you get help and can get on your way to feeling better.

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by D.MCK
I can't say I've been in your shoes, but nonetheless good luck and well done for being brave enough to even make an appointment, I hope it goes well for you.

Original post by Samwin
I have been in your shoes recently and know how you feel, if you feel to afraid to talk like I was, (had a few attempts at a proper diagnosis that didn't go so well :frown: ) so I typed out everything I felt, so the doctor could see clearly what was going on with me :smile: hope that it goes well for you!

Thank you all to your replies and support.
Especially to the anon for breaking it all down for me. My appointment is tomorrow and I'm still really nervous but you all really helped me, I'm going to use all of this help tomorrow.
Reply 6
http://www.docready.org/static/client/index.html#/home

this might also be helpful to you. wish you luck for your appointment
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
http://www.docready.org/static/client/index.html#/home

this might also be helpful to you. wish you luck for your appointment

thank you!
I have been in your shoes and the only thing i can add is that gps see depression all the time they wont treat you like you are a freak,
Reply 9
Original post by earthworm
I have been in your shoes and the only thing i can add is that gps see depression all the time they wont treat you like you are a freak,

I'm not worried about that, I just find it very difficult to talk to people. It's my first time telling anyone about it face to face. It feels weird.
Best of luck for the appointment tomorrow. It can be really difficult to talk about it but it is worth it to start the path to getting better as soon as possible. As someone already mentioned GPs see a lot of people for depression and so yours should be understanding and able to offer some help. A few extra things --

I'm unsure if your doctor will do this, but at the doctor's surgery I go to, they give questionnaires for anyone who comes in with mental health problems to fill out. They cover a few of the main symptoms of depression and anxiety. They are very quick and easy to fill out if you do get one (you just have to circle to what extent each symptom applies to you.)

You didn't mention your age in the OP...what will happen will probably differ depending on whether you're over or under eighteen. If you're eighteen or over and the doctor diagnoses you with depression it is fairly likely (though not certain) that they'll offer you an antidepressant. Usually they start with one of the SSRI antidepressants (e.g. fluoxetine, citalopram, sertraline, etc.) which help a lot of people but of course nobody is going to force you to take medication if you would prefer to try alternative methods first. Hopefully they should also refer you to some kind of counselling/therapy (often CBT) or at least give some other advice or options. But waiting lists for therapy do unfortunately tend to be very long.

If you're under 18, the doctor may not be able to prescribe antidepressants to you so most likely you'll get referred to CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) where they'll assess you and decide what approach is best; whether therapy/counselling of some sort or medication, in which case you'd see a psychiatrist who can diagnose you and prescribe it.

I've been in similar situations both when I was younger and at age 18. The nervousness is totally understandable but I'm glad you're asking for help anyway. The advice some of the above posters gave is great too, and I'd definitely second writing things down if only as something to fall back on.
If you are under 18 can you get help without your parents being informed?
If you are under 18 can you get help without your parents being informed?

It depends how serious it is. If you're planning on seriously harming yourself then they will probably tell your parents. If not you can go to see your school nurse or counsellor. They are actually really helpful and understand. I saw both of them when I was in secondary school and they helped me lots. And if you go to see your gp its all confidential, unless you're in serious danger obviously
Original post by zabveniye
Best of luck for the appointment tomorrow. It can be really difficult to talk about it but it is worth it to start the path to getting better as soon as possible. As someone already mentioned GPs see a lot of people for depression and so yours should be understanding and able to offer some help. A few extra things --

I'm unsure if your doctor will do this, but at the doctor's surgery I go to, they give questionnaires for anyone who comes in with mental health problems to fill out. They cover a few of the main symptoms of depression and anxiety. They are very quick and easy to fill out if you do get one (you just have to circle to what extent each symptom applies to you.)

You didn't mention your age in the OP...what will happen will probably differ depending on whether you're over or under eighteen. If you're eighteen or over and the doctor diagnoses you with depression it is fairly likely (though not certain) that they'll offer you an antidepressant. Usually they start with one of the SSRI antidepressants (e.g. fluoxetine, citalopram, sertraline, etc.) which help a lot of people but of course nobody is going to force you to take medication if you would prefer to try alternative methods first. Hopefully they should also refer you to some kind of counselling/therapy (often CBT) or at least give some other advice or options. But waiting lists for therapy do unfortunately tend to be very long.

If you're under 18, the doctor may not be able to prescribe antidepressants to you so most likely you'll get referred to CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) where they'll assess you and decide what approach is best; whether therapy/counselling of some sort or medication, in which case you'd see a psychiatrist who can diagnose you and prescribe it.

I've been in similar situations both when I was younger and at age 18. The nervousness is totally understandable but I'm glad you're asking for help anyway. The advice some of the above posters gave is great too, and I'd definitely second writing things down if only as something to fall back on.

Thank you for your reply. My appointment was actually moved to another day which really annoyed me. Sorry forgot to say that I'm currently 17, but turning 18 soon. Thank you for all of this information. Because of all of this I felt much better. It's difficult to do everything by myself but it's very assure to see how many of you offered me support. Really really appreciate it!

I also had depression and was starting harm and not eating but I didn't like to see gp so instead I told my closest friend and she helped me and now my life is so much better, u don't need to tell a gp but at least tell someone u trust, I dint want gp coz at the time I feared of getting a diagnosis which would prevent me in m carrer choices
howver u are bueatiful and brave for asking for help coz I wasn't as strong as u
I also had depression and was starting harm and not eating but I didn't like to see gp so instead I told my closest friend and she helped me and now my life is so much better, u don't need to tell a gp but at least tell someone u trust, I dint want gp coz at the time I feared of getting a diagnosis which would prevent me in m carrer choices
howver u are bueatiful and brave for asking for help coz I wasn't as strong as u

Lucky you, I don't have any close friends. I'm glad you got better.
I just feel like I can't function like a healthy person anymore and cannot life a happy life. Thank you. stay strong.
Reply 16
I hope it went okay! Less scary than you though? Also, you said you had no close friends. If you ever need someone to talk to, my empathetic ear is open!
Original post by gj2298
I hope it went okay! Less scary than you though? Also, you said you had no close friends. If you ever need someone to talk to, my empathetic ear is open!

appointment was moved to another day, but I was really nervous. And thank you, that's very nice of you x
appointment was moved to another day, but I was really nervous. And thank you, that's very nice of you x

How did it go?

And for me i was basically just given a questionnaire and they checked the results said i had a high score and gave me a card without any talk about help and advice. Was the exact opposite of helpful.

If the first doctor doesn't work, go to another one at your GP until you find one that has empathy.

Quick Reply

Latest