The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin Language 1 - 19/05/15 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Sooo how did you guys find the exam?
What did you get for the question about what Jupiter realised when he looked down from the sky? The 'sensit patrem tristiorem filia esse' bit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RachJess4
Sooo how did you guys find the exam?
What did you get for the question about what Jupiter realised when he looked down from the sky? The 'sensit patrem tristiorem filia esse' bit?

Actually I found it surprisingly ok and I had quite a lot of time spare at the end to check over my work. As for the 'sensit patrem tristiorem filia esse' I think I put something like "He felt that the father was more sad than his daughter".

What did you put for the derivations? I put solitude for sola and captain for captus - not sure if that last one is right though :/
Reply 2
Original post by iuyscvbh
Actually I found it surprisingly ok and I had quite a lot of time spare at the end to check over my work. As for the 'sensit patrem tristiorem filia esse' I think I put something like "He felt that the father was more sad than his daughter".

What did you put for the derivations? I put solitude for sola and captain for captus - not sure if that last one is right though :/

I put that first then crossed it out and put 'He felt that the father was more sad about his daughter', but I'm pretty sure I was wrong :/

I put solitude and decapitate for the derivations. Putting captain was clever, I didn't think of that!
I'm pretty sure it was he felt that the father was sadder than his daughter as it's an ablative of comparison. I just hope I didn't mix up the names accidentally as they all began with i
Reply 4
Original post by Cookiemonster057
I'm pretty sure it was he felt that the father was sadder than his daughter as it's an ablative of comparison. I just hope I didn't mix up the names accidentally as they all began with i

Ahhh nooooo so that means I wrote the right answer then crossed it out D:
I was really pleased with the exam, I found I knew all the vocab, and it was a good story to understand. I think I messed up a little on some areas due to word order but overall I'm aiming for a high A on this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I had an advantage in that the story is one of the stories I am studying in the Epic and Myth part of my Classical Civilisation GCSE, so I kind of had an idea what was going on in the story :smile:
did you put sibi as Juno and eam as Io?
Reply 8
Original post by chazlotte132
did you put sibi as Juno and eam as Io?

Yep!
Yep!

phew! i found that a tough q haha
I putter sadder with his daughter, ie, because he realised is now a cow he is sadder because of it (taking filia as an ablative)
Yep!

So did I!
Original post by neutraltones
I putter sadder with his daughter, ie, because he realised is now a cow he is sadder because of it (taking filia as an ablative)

I put he sensed taht the father was more sad than the daughter had been
I had loads of time too, so after I finished writing all the answers I translated the entire Latin text into English (covering my answers) to check.
Reply 14
Original post by Palette
I had loads of time too, so after I finished writing all the answers I translated the entire Latin text into English (covering my answers) to check.

Same! I wish we could add on extra time we have in the langauge exams to the literature exams instead, I always have too much time for language and not enough for literature!
What did anyone get for the translation? If they can remember!
Same! I wish we could add on extra time we have in the langauge exams to the literature exams instead, I always have too much time for language and not enough for literature!

Same! I think it should be 45 minutes for language and 75 minutes for literature!
Reply 17
Original post by Ableseaman
What did anyone get for the translation? If they can remember!

Argus was guarding Io so carefully that she could walk to almost no place alone. With Argus watching, she wandered around for very many hours. Then, crying loudly, she came to the river of her father, Inachus. She wrote her name on the ground with her hoof to [show/reveal/I can't remember the exact word] who she was. Then the god of the river was overcome by great grief. 'How miserable I am', he shouted out. 'Surely you are not my daughter?'

Forgive me if some of that is a bit off, I can't remember the exact translation! :P
Argus was guarding Io so carefully that she could walk to almost no place alone. With Argus watching, she wandered around for very many hours. Then, crying loudly, she came to the river of her father, Inachus. She wrote her name on the ground with her hoof to [show/reveal/I can't remember the exact word] who she was. Then the god of the river was overcome by great grief. 'How miserable I am', he shouted out. 'Surely you are not my daughter?'

Forgive me if some of that is a bit off, I can't remember the exact translation! :P

I got exactly the same except for one sentence (that i know i got wrong) i said that her father went to the river instead of she went to the river of her father
Do you think that will only be one mark lost though?
I put: Finally, loudly crying, her father Inachus came to the river. How many marks dropped do you think this is?

My god how do you remember... :biggrin:
I think I got similar to you - put 'While Argus was watching' though. Kinda the same I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending