The Student Room Group

STEP 2 problems good for preparing for STEP 1?

I can't be ****ed to do STEP 1 questions I like to practice something else and be surprised on exam day by having the paper easier than what Im used to than being surprised than it being harder than what im used to

i am in lower 6 and this dude said 'if u think ur so good then why dont u take step 1' this year and i was like 'ok ur on bro' so thats how i ended up in this hole. now im told that if I dont get at least a 1 my university application will be completely screwed, so i am having my a levels this week and i am suposed to be revise for economics and physics but im like nope cant be arsed i rather do step and today i had the tests and i was like oh **** but whatever its over now
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CancerousProblem
I can't be ****ed to do STEP 1 questions I like to practice something else and be surprised on exam day by having the paper easier than what Im used to than being surprised than it being harder than what im used to

i am in lower 6 and this dude said 'if u think ur so good then why dont u take step 1' this year and i was like 'ok ur on bro' so thats how i ended up in this hole. now im told that if I dont get at least a 1 my university application will be completely screwed, so i am having my a levels this week and i am suposed to be revise for economics and physics but im like nope cant be arsed i rather do step and today i had the tests and i was like oh **** but whatever its over now

Bro, whoever told you if you dont get a 1 your uni application is screwed is trolling you.. Attempting STEP in lower 6th is not detrimental to your uni application in the slightest assuming you get a 3 or higher. If you get a 2 you are already into everywhere apart from Cambridge in regards to the STEP requirements. Not to mention just under half of warwick maths students, the second best place to do maths in the UK, fail to meet a grade 2. I am in U6th apply for maths but I am more worried I will miss the A* FM as i have done a crap ton of STEP and hence can get a 2 in every paper if not a 1 or an S so I would be surprised if I fail on that. Focus on your AS levels, practice STEP 1 papers, leave STEP 2. Perhaps try the Siklos booklet? Only do STEP 2 if you are out of STEP 1 papers and have tried every pure question on every paper.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Bro, whoever told you if you dont get a 1 your uni application is screwed is trolling you.. Attempting STEP in lower 6th is not detrimental to your uni application in the slightest assuming you get a 3 or higher. If you get a 2 you are already into everywhere apart from Cambridge in regards to the STEP requirements. Not to mention just under half of warwick maths students, the second best place to do maths in the UK, fail to meet a grade 2. I am in U6th apply for maths but I am more worried I will miss the A* FM as i have done a crap ton of STEP and hence can get a 2 in every paper if not a 1 or an S so I would be surprised if I fail on that. Focus on your AS levels, practice STEP 1 papers, leave STEP 2. Perhaps try the Siklos booklet? Only do STEP 2 if you are out of STEP 1 papers and have tried every pure question on every paper.

im not getting any money for uni unless I can into cambridge so you know not going to bother going and probably go clean a toilet for the rest of my life if I dont get in

but then again my parents probably told me that just to get me to work harder since I've spent 4000 hours plus just playing computer games during my GCSEs

so I guess you just confirmed i do need a 1
(edited 8 years ago)
im not getting any money for uni unless I can into cambridge so you know not going to bother going and probably go clean a toilet for the rest of my life if I dont get in

so I guess you just confirmed i do need a 1

You are lower 6th, STEP will only aid you in application to uni. Btw, if you are getting a 2/1 at this stage (which I was definitely not, you are clearly a better mathematician) then you are almost guaranteed to get into Cambridge, but ONLY if you do well in the AS levels. If you dont average 94 UMS in your AS's then you wont get an interview, even if you are great at STEP.
You are lower 6th, STEP will only aid you in application to uni. Btw, if you are getting a 2/1 at this stage (which I was definitely not, you are clearly a better mathematician) then you are almost guaranteed to get into Cambridge, but ONLY if you do well in the AS levels. If you dont average 94 UMS in your AS's then you wont get an interview, even if you are great at STEP.

lol the admissions tutor for Christ's said for step 1 taken early

S: Guaranteed interview
1: Acceptable result
Anything less: Disappointing
lol the admissions tutor for Christ's said for step 1 taken early

S: Guaranteed interview
1: Acceptable result
Anything less: Disappointing

My friend did STEP 1 early being stupid that he was, got a 3. He is going to Cambridge assuming he gets a 1 1 which he will. If you think Christ admissions tutor is dead serious e-mail him to check, if he is you better do well ha ha, or hike off to a different college.
My friend did STEP 1 early being stupid that he was, got a 3. He is going to Cambridge assuming he gets a 1 1 which he will. If you think Christ admissions tutor is dead serious e-mail him to check, if he is you better do well ha ha, or hike off to a different college.

lol but he's probably from a state school or something so its ok for him to do bad i guess? I'm an international student boarding in a private school so im pretty sure cambridge wont be lenient on me. anyhow step's a bit hit and miss for me. Sometimes I get a gift question. The thing i learned the most form doing the step past papers is to be willing to give up on a question when stuck. There have been times when I've spent 2 hours stuck on some part of a question and I try to do it anyway because everyone tells me to drill the 'dont give up mindset' to me for step but I realized that is only true for 5 mins or so, after that it's probably worth moving on.
lol but he's probably from a state school or something so its ok for him to do bad i guess? I'm an international student boarding in a private school so im pretty sure cambridge wont be lenient on me. anyhow step's a bit hit and miss for me. Sometimes I get a gift question. The thing i learned the most form doing the step past papers is to be willing to give up on a question when stuck. There have been times when I've spent 2 hours stuck on some part of a question and I try to do it anyway because everyone tells me to drill the 'dont give up mindset' to me for step but I realized that is only true for 5 mins or so, after that it's probably worth moving on.

He is from the OPPOSITE of a state school. He goes to St Pauls Boys school, the most prestigious private school in London (I dont attend). Cambridge are not that harsh, harsh yes, but not that harsh. Also yes, STEP is hit and miss, my performance is related to the number of integrals, out of the last 10 papers ive done ive never got an integral question wrong. Also inequalities are great aswell. But yes, you need to know when to move on, just state what you intend to do and the steps you would do and move on.

every school is all the same, Cambridge get excess applications to fill all the spots twice over with 4*+ A Level...

If you're doing step 2 papers might as well do step 2?

Also that dude doe.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
every school is all the same, Cambridge get excess applications to fill all the spots twice over with 4*+ A Level...

If you're doing step 2 papers might as well do step 2?

Also that dude doe.

my school was pretty hesitant to let me do step 1 dont think they would let me do step 2. They never had a lower 6 former ask to do step 1
my school was pretty hesitant to let me do step 1 dont think they would let me do step 2. They never had a lower 6 former ask to do step 1

You will be fine, I doubt I could have answered half a STEP question in L6th.

Ah I see anyway all practice is good practice.
Reply 12

It's a bit too late now, or you'd need to pay a higher fee to enter at least, it's not really worth it.

surely you could do some of the gift questions? I mean on most papers there is at least 1 gift question (a lot of the time question 1 tends to be really easy, though there are exceptions) that you can breeze through in < 15 mins for free marks, then you have to start doing work to get the rest of your marks
Original post by 0x2a
It's a bit too late now, or you'd need to pay a higher fee to enter at least, it's not really worth it.

Ive been entered for months, atm I should be able to get a 1/S in the paper, was talking about my ability last year. My Maths ability really spiked up over the summer.

surely you could do some of the gift questions? I mean on most papers there is at least 1 gift question (a lot of the time question 1 tends to be really easy, though there are exceptions) that you can breeze through in < 15 mins for free marks, then you have to start doing work to get the rest of your marks

True, question 1 on many papers I could probably have worked out back then.
Reply 15
Ive been entered for months, atm I should be able to get a 1/S in the paper, was talking about my ability last year. My Maths ability really spiked up over the summer.

Oh no, I was just saying it's too late for OP to enter for STEP 2 which I thought you were suggesting. My bad.
Original post by 0x2a
Oh no, I was just saying it's too late for OP to enter for STEP 2 which I thought you were suggesting. My bad.

yeah :tongue:
I heard an S in step 1 is equivalent of a 1 in STEP 2, a 1 in STEP 1 is equivalent of a 2 in STEP 2, a 2 in STEP 1 is equivalent of a 3 in STEP 2 and so on.

Is this true?
Reply 17
I heard an S in step 1 is equivalent of a 1 in STEP 2, a 1 in STEP 1 is equivalent of a 2 in STEP 2, a 2 in STEP 1 is equivalent of a 3 in STEP 2 and so on.

Is this true?

Eh I'm taking STEP 1 this year like you so I don't really know.

Is this true?

I got a 2 in STEP 1 and a 3 in STEP 2.. So on a study of a single person - yes.
Reply 19

Quick question, I thought the Warwick maths standard offer was A*A*A with a 2 in STEP, so how do the people still meet the offer??

Quick Reply

Latest