The Student Room Group

Computer Science vs Joint Mathematics and Computer Science

Hi, I'm interested in applying to Oxford and Imperial College London for either Computer Science or joint Mathematics and Computer Science. What are the pros and cons of CS/JMC and which would you recommend?

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for maths and computer science at Oxford (and other places too) because I really love both subjects. I also looked at specific courses and found the ones with joint maths and computing had overall the most interesting sounding modules, and fewer of things I don't really like, in the first year at least. I love AI, I think its so cool, and I feel having a deeper mathematical understanding and an understanding of the mahs around it will suit me better as well. It also keeps more options open for things I may want to do in later years of uni / after uni.
Original post by Cupcakes12
I've applied for maths and computer science at Oxford (and other places too) because I really love both subjects. I also looked at specific courses and found the ones with joint maths and computing had overall the most interesting sounding modules, and fewer of things I don't really like, in the first year at least. I love AI, I think its so cool, and I feel having a deeper mathematical understanding and an understanding of the mahs around it will suit me better as well. It also keeps more options open for things I may want to do in later years of uni / after uni.

Oh is the extra maths useful for artificial intelligence? I didn't know that
Reply 3
Original post by Labradoodle1
Hi, I'm interested in applying to Oxford and Imperial College London for either Computer Science or joint Mathematics and Computer Science. What are the pros and cons of CS/JMC and which would you recommend?

Hi,

Typically, a math and computing degree is better, especially if you want to get into a math-related field, like AI, Machine Learning, Data Science, Data Mining, Computer Vision and Graphics, etc.

However, because you are taking an Oxbridge degree, it's a bit more difficult, as graduates have more mathematical background than other graduates, assuming you already have Further Math as well.

From looking at both courses at Oxbridge, I would say CS would be better if you don't know what you want to do with your life/job.
CS with Math is better if you do know what you want to do with your life/job.
(Note: that only applies to Oxbridge degrees. Outside an Oxbridge degree, it is generally better to study a Math + Computing degree if you're not sure what to do. However, because Oxbridge undergrads generally study Math + Further Math at A-level, then they don't need the additional math for their career; the additional math from their degree is instead used to master a particular area - like Data Science, for example.)

The reason is: CS would cover pretty much every topic, so it would be up to you to decide which one you like. But, if you've already decided what field you want to get into, then CS + Math would be better, as the additional math would enhance your problem solving further.

For example, If I knew I wanted to get into AI and Machine Learning, then CS + Math would be better because of the additional math; it would cut out a lot of the fluff CS modules that you wouldn't be interested in.

On the other hand, If I wanted to do Software Development, then because it doesn't involve much math, it would be better going for a general CS degree.

To summarise:

If you want to enter a field of computer science involving math, like: Data Science, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, Cryptography, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, etc => CS + Math is generally better.

If you want to enter a field in CS that involves a lot less math, like: Software Development, Databases, Networking, etc. => Go CS.

Advantages of CS Degree:
+ You study a lot of CS topics. So if you're not sure what you want to do, you basically get to try them all.
Disadvantages:
- The degree isn't as rigorous or problem-solving oriented as CS + math.

Advantages of CS + Math Degree:
+ Larger module selection compared to a CS degree
+ You study less CS topics, but study more math, allowing you to focus on a particular field.
+ If you know what you want to do, and you want to master it, CS + Math is generally better.
+ More specific and precise, compared to a pure CS degree. However, the modules on a CS + Math degree you study all help contribute to what you want to do.

Disadvantages of CS + math:
- You study fewer CS topics. So if you aren't sure what you want to do, this will make it harder.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Baleroc
Hi,

Typically, a math and computing degree is better, especially if you want to get into a math-related field, like AI, Machine Learning, Data Science, Data Mining, Computer Vision and Graphics, etc.

However, because you are taking an Oxbridge degree, it's a bit more difficult, as graduates have more mathematical background than other graduates, assuming you already have Further Math as well.

From looking at both courses at Oxbridge, I would say CS would be better if you don't know what you want to do with your life/job.
(Note: that only applies to Oxbridge degrees. Outside an Oxbridge degree, it is generally better to study a Math + Computing degree if you're not sure what to do. However, because Oxbridge undergrads generally study Math + Further Math at A-level, then they don't need the additional math for their career; the additional math from their degree is instead used to master a particular area - like Data Science, for example.)

The reason is: CS would cover pretty much every topic, so it would be up to you to decide which one you like. But, if you've already decided what field you want to get into, then CS + Math would be better, as the additional math would enhance your problem solving further.

For example, If I knew I wanted to get into AI and Machine Learning, then CS + Math would be better because of the additional math; it would cut out a lot of the fluff CS modules that you wouldn't be interested in.

On the other hand, If I wanted to do Software Development, then because it doesn't involve much math, it would be better going for a general CS degree.

To summarise:

If you want to enter a field of computer science involving math, like: Data Science, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, Cryptography, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, etc => CS + Math is generally better.

If you want to enter a field in CS that involves a lot less math, like: Software Development, Databases, Networking, etc. => Go CS.

Advantages of CS Degree:
+ You study a lot of CS topics. So if you're not sure what you want to do, you basically get to try them all.
Disadvantages:

+ You study less CS topics, but study more math, allowing you to focus on a particular field.
+ If you know what you want to do, and you want to master it, CS + Math is generally better.
+ More specific and precise, compared to a pure CS degree. However, the modules on a CS + Math degree you study all help contribute to what you want to do.

- You study fewer CS topics. So if you aren't sure what you want to do, this will make it harder.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm leaning towards CS + maths because although I don't have a specific career in mind, the more mathematical fields you mentioned seem far more interesting (and I generally prefer theoretical stuff over practical stuff).
Original post by Baleroc
Hi,

To summarise:

Advantages of CS Degree:
Disadvantages:

My a-levels are maths, further maths and physics (and epq), so I will have a mathematical background yeah
Reply 6

Hi, I'm a first year studying JMC at Imperial.. so started a week ago. One thing you probably should know if you do choose JMC and get into Imperial or Oxford you are signing yourself up for a crazily intense workload... most people doing Maths or Comp Sci here agree that JMC is probs the toughest degree you can choose at Imperial in terms of workload and conceptual difficulty so you do really want to be sure you are up for that. You are basically for the first 2 years at least doing around 70 percent or so of the modules a Maths student would take and around 70 percent a Comp Sci student would take. From the very first week our workload is really intense already. The biggest advantage of JMC at Imperial is you can later skew your degree to whatever you are more interested in.. so you can do more comp sci or more Maths if you want in the later years. Also in terms of career paths you basically have everything open to you within Maths and Computer Science. Probably the only downside is since you are basically in 2 different departments, we got told the Maths and Computing department may not always communicate so there may be times you'll get a lot of coursework due for both subjects in a short period of time. But yeh, the advantages are endless and everyone here is super smart so you'll be in a competitive environment. Of course I'll assume the Oxford course would be very similar.
Reply 7

You should also know both Oxford and Imperial are really difficult to get into for JMC so would be useful to have other unis for backup. The average MAT score you need for Oxford to just get an interview for JMC is actually higher than the average MAT score for a pure Maths offer-holder which is crazy. For Imperial if you're applying to JMC you are basically competing with the Computer Science students when applying as well. You'll have to do a pre-interview online problem solving test and then for your offer you'll have to usually get a grade 2 in Step 2 in addition to your A-level grades (although quite a few, if not the majority of people got high grade 3s in STEP this year and were still let in). For Imperial most people do get rejected pre-interview... this year we were told there were almost 4000 applicants to the computing department and around 500 or so offers were given... after STEP around 230 or so people got in. Also if you do apply for JMC but change your mind during the first week of the course you can switch to pure Computing fairly easily at Imperial. Good luck with your application! Any other questions let me know :smile:
Original post by M_m_m03
You should also know both Oxford and Imperial are really difficult to get into for JMC so would be useful to have other unis for backup. The average MAT score you need for Oxford to just get an interview for JMC is actually higher than the average MAT score for a pure Maths offer-holder which is crazy. For Imperial if you're applying to JMC you are basically competing with the Computer Science students when applying as well. You'll have to do a pre-interview online problem solving test and then for your offer you'll have to usually get a grade 2 in Step 2 in addition to your A-level grades (although quite a few, if not the majority of people got high grade 3s in STEP this year and were still let in). For Imperial most people do get rejected pre-interview... this year we were told there were almost 4000 applicants to the computing department and around 500 or so offers were given... after STEP around 230 or so people got in. Also if you do apply for JMC but change your mind during the first week of the course you can switch to pure Computing fairly easily at Imperial. Good luck with your application! Any other questions let me know :smile:

Wow, congrats on getting in! Yeah, I will definitely have other backup universities, but those are the two that would be my top choices. I didn't know about the pre-interview online problem solving test though. What are you required to do for that test? Also, are the interviews at Imperial similar to Oxbridge?
Reply 9
Wow, congrats on getting in! Yeah, I will definitely have other backup universities, but those are the two that would be my top choices. I didn't know about the pre-interview online problem solving test though. What are you required to do for that test? Also, are the interviews at Imperial similar to Oxbridge?

So the pre-interview online test is just a couple of problem solving questions.. I think it was 10 for me. They don't really require any maths A-level knowledge to do (although would be useful to look at convex and concave functions), they are similar problems to what you may find in a UKMT maths-challenge paper.. really just require some thinking to do. Wouldn't worry about it too much.. if you can do STEP you'll defo be able to do the online problem solving test. In terms of the comp sci and JMC interviews at Imperial it really depends on the interviewer. I know my interview was really chill and just got given 2 small problems to solve and talked for the rest of it, but I know some others who had a more oxbridge-style interview with much harder questions than mine. Usually they are logic puzzles. Either way if you get an interview for Imperial comp sci or JMC you are most likely going to get an offer due to the fact you have to take STEP after the interview anyways as part of your offer so that will cut down the number of people who get in. Most people who get an interview get an offer. Also in terms of the STEP papers, I would recommend starting prep as soon as possible for it if you want the best chance of getting a 2 or higher. Probably try looking at some STEP 1 questions before moving onto STEP 2.. STEP 2 is much harder than STEP 1, especially the more recent papers.
Original post by M_m_m03
So the pre-interview online test is just a couple of problem solving questions.. I think it was 10 for me. They don't really require any maths A-level knowledge to do (although would be useful to look at convex and concave functions), they are similar problems to what you may find in a UKMT maths-challenge paper.. really just require some thinking to do. Wouldn't worry about it too much.. if you can do STEP you'll defo be able to do the online problem solving test. In terms of the comp sci and JMC interviews at Imperial it really depends on the interviewer. I know my interview was really chill and just got given 2 small problems to solve and talked for the rest of it, but I know some others who had a more oxbridge-style interview with much harder questions than mine. Usually they are logic puzzles. Either way if you get an interview for Imperial comp sci or JMC you are most likely going to get an offer due to the fact you have to take STEP after the interview anyways as part of your offer so that will cut down the number of people who get in. Most people who get an interview get an offer. Also in terms of the STEP papers, I would recommend starting prep as soon as possible for it if you want the best chance of getting a 2 or higher. Probably try looking at some STEP 1 questions before moving onto STEP 2.. STEP 2 is much harder than STEP 1, especially the more recent papers.

Do STEP and MAT have overlapping content?
Btw I just found out that from 2021, STEP 1 will no longer exist
Do STEP and MAT have overlapping content?

Very little.. MAT is based on year 12 Maths content along with some series and sequences stuff from year 13. STEP 2 is based on the entire A-level Maths syllabus and As Further Maths syllabus along with a couple of other things. STEP 2 is much harder than MAT.
Btw I just found out that from 2021, STEP 1 will no longer exist

Yeah, STEP 1 no longer existed from 2020, but the past papers are still very good for practice for STEP 2.
Original post by M_m_m03
Very little.. MAT is based on year 12 Maths content along with some series and sequences stuff from year 13. STEP 2 is based on the entire A-level Maths syllabus and As Further Maths syllabus along with a couple of other things. STEP 2 is much harder than MAT.

Is 3A* pridicted grades enough for applying CS? Would it be less competitive among all the applicants?
Original post by Takashi_77
Is 3A* pridicted grades enough for applying CS? Would it be less competitive among all the applicants?

Depends what those A-Levels are.. as long as you have Maths and Further Maths it should be fine. Again for Imperial and Oxbridge comp sci there's lots of other more important factors that go into your application than A-levels, e.g: admission tests.

I'm confused, how wouldn't 3A* be enough? Isn't that the best possible outcome (as they don't disadvantage you for not having a fourth a-level)?
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm confused, how wouldn't 3A* be enough? Isn't that the best possible outcome (as they don't disadvantage you for not having a fourth a-level)?T

I am a little bit worried because if most of the students get 3A*sand an A or 4A*s then i will be in a bad situation lol
I am a little bit worried because if most of the students get 3A*sand an A or 4A*s then i will be in a bad situation lol

I actually emailed both universities recently, and both of them said that people with 3 A-levels will not be at a disadvantage. You have nothing to worry about :smile:
Original post by M_m_m03
Hi, I'm a first year studying JMC at Imperial.. so started a week ago. One thing you probably should know if you do choose JMC and get into Imperial or Oxford you are signing yourself up for a crazily intense workload... most people doing Maths or Comp Sci here agree that JMC is probs the toughest degree you can choose at Imperial in terms of workload and conceptual difficulty so you do really want to be sure you are up for that. You are basically for the first 2 years at least doing around 70 percent or so of the modules a Maths student would take and around 70 percent a Comp Sci student would take. From the very first week our workload is really intense already. The biggest advantage of JMC at Imperial is you can later skew your degree to whatever you are more interested in.. so you can do more comp sci or more Maths if you want in the later years. Also in terms of career paths you basically have everything open to you within Maths and Computer Science. Probably the only downside is since you are basically in 2 different departments, we got told the Maths and Computing department may not always communicate so there may be times you'll get a lot of coursework due for both subjects in a short period of time. But yeh, the advantages are endless and everyone here is super smart so you'll be in a competitive environment. Of course I'll assume the Oxford course would be very similar.

Hi! Hope your first year went well!

This was originally meant as a pm but since this is a new account I am apparently not allowed to.

Anyways, I was wondering if JMC students in Imperial can switch to Math after the first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending