The Student Room Group

Anybody else on fluoxetine? (anti-depressant)

Hey,

I've been really low recently. And just been put on to fluoxetine. I've researched it and noticed there are lots of controversy about the drug. Anybody else on it and how is it helping or not helping you?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm on fluoxetine. 20mg. Although they will be increasing my dose in June after my exams.

Most antidepressants take up to 4 weeks to show if they work or not for you. I was previously on sertraline and that was horrendous for me so being on fluoxetine is a dream. (If antidepressants can be. :smile: )

However, my appetite hasn't increased and I've lost weight. Maybe that's me.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm on fluoxetine. 20mg. Although they will be increasing my dose in June after my exams.

Most antidepressants take up to 4 weeks to show if they work or not for you. I was previously on sertraline and that was horrendous for me so being on fluoxetine is a dream. (If antidepressants can be. :smile: )

Sorry, this was me. :smile:
Hey :smile: I was on flouextine 20mg for a couple of months then increased to 40mg. Neither really helped, I had a lot of side effects and the 40mg made me very angry and aggressive. I've also tried citalopram (to maximum dose) and sertraline (again to maximum dose) but am coming off antidepressants after 9 months of worsening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by n_ghafoor
Hey :smile: I was on flouextine 20mg for a couple of months then increased to 40mg. Neither really helped, I had a lot of side effects and the 40mg made me very angry and aggressive. I've also tried citalopram (to maximum dose) and sertraline (again to maximum dose) but am coming off antidepressants after 9 months of worsening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sertraline is the worse thing to exist. It gave me nosebleeds.
Reply 5
Sertraline is the worse thing to exist. It gave me nosebleeds.

Again this is me! Tsr keeps making my posts anon!
I'm currently on 40mg, it's helping with my down moods, but it makes me feel nauseous, I've been getting more panic attacks and I've lost my temper a lot more than I used to.
Reply 7
Original post by LucieTeresa
I'm currently on 40mg, it's helping with my down moods, but it makes me feel nauseous, I've been getting more panic attacks and I've lost my temper a lot more than I used to.

How many weeks have you been on it? They're looking to increase mine to 40mg soon.
Original post by CescaD96
How many weeks have you been on it? They're looking to increase mine to 40mg soon.

Since around this time last year, the 20mg wasn't doing anything for me so they keep upping it :/
Since around this time last year, the 20mg wasn't doing anything for me so they keep upping it :/

and you're still feeling ill? You should be off that like right away. :frown: That sounds horrible.
If I take it and then immediately do anything physical I feel ill, if I take it and eat I feel ill, but sometimes I feel ill if I don't eat... I don't know why my doctor hasn't taken me off it to be honest.
Reply 11
If I take it and then immediately do anything physical I feel ill, if I take it and eat I feel ill, but sometimes I feel ill if I don't eat... I don't know why my doctor hasn't taken me off it to be honest.

Sorry for the anon, tsr has anon automatically ticked when I come into this thread only. :/

I take mine in the morning with my breakfast. I get a sore stomach from time to time but that's it. Really weird though that you've not been taken off it.
Just like any antidepressant, fluoxetine works for some people and not for others, and there's 'controversy' surrounding almost every antidepressant under the sun so I wouldn't consider that on its own to be something to get worked up about! I was put on it briefly but had to come off it almost immediately because it made my insomnia completely unmanageable. The best thing is that if you do need to come off it because it's not working, it's incredibly rare to get any nasty discontinuation symptoms (it's often used in low dosage to manage discontinuation syndrome with SNRIs and other SSRIs), so you should be able to switch to a different medication without much trouble.
Medication is not supposedtobe discussed over a public server for many reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I used to be on it and it didn't have any effect on me; know someone who said it helped her though.
Reply 15
Hi,

Im almost the opposite, I was on fluoxetine first, i got bumped to the maximum dosage and everything went to hell. Ive since been put on sertailine which so far seems to be working for me. It's really bad that it's generally just trial and error in finding something that works for you, especially because they take a while to show any change :s-smilie:
Original post by shooflea
Im almost the opposite, I was on fluoxetine first, i got bumped to the maximum dosage and everything went to hell. Ive since been put on sertailine which so far seems to be working for me. It's really bad that it's generally just trial and error in finding something that works for you, especially because they take a while to show any change :s-smilie:

(this was me.)

Sertraline gave me:
insomnia
headaches
shakes
stomach pains
loss of appetite
pain in left knee
thirst
numbness in left hand
tiredness
nosebleeds.

I had to get off it. :biggrin:
Reply 17
(this was me.)

Sertraline gave me:
insomnia
headaches
shakes
stomach pains
loss of appetite
pain in left knee
thirst
numbness in left hand
tiredness
nosebleeds.

I had to get off it. :biggrin:

Ouch! Man that must have been horrendous :/ fluoxetine gave me shakes and headaches and stuff, never anything quite that specific :biggrin: it mainly affected me psychologically, dunno if it disagreed with my chemistry or hormones or what, but from a mental health point of view fluxoetine made me so much worse >.<
Reply 18
Hi OP,

A low dose of Fluoxetine made me shaky, irritable, nauseous and have nightmares so I stopped taking it fairly quickly.

I wish there was a perfect med for Depression (and in my case OCD) but it seems like the best anyone can hope for is one that slightly improves their symptoms whilst causing minimal side effects.
Reply 19
Original post by shooflea
Ouch! Man that must have been horrendous :/ fluoxetine gave me shakes and headaches and stuff, never anything quite that specific :biggrin: it mainly affected me psychologically, dunno if it disagreed with my chemistry or hormones or what, but from a mental health point of view fluxoetine made me so much worse >.<

Fluoxetine is a dream for me. (tsr keeps making all my posts anon in this thread.)

Quick Reply

Latest