The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS Level Unit 2 thread

Scroll to see replies

hardly plants last year, oh noooo this year they prob bombard us with plants T_T
Original post by Makashima
hardly plants last year, oh noooo this year they prob bombard us with plants T_T

nooooo-oooo-ooo 😱😭
Original post by lunaa.lovegood
I AM CLOSE TO KILLINGFG MYSEL

ok lmao maybe not but why is the rabbit a vector like help how do u know species A and C will produce the same antibodies omgg I am sliding down the slide to madness thx AQA

ok look at it this way, lets say you have three species, A B and C and you wanna know if A is more closely related to B or C now what you do it this:

1. Take protein from A and add it to a rabbit
2. Obtain the antibodies from the rabbit
3. add these antibodies to the proteins of B and C

now, the protein and antibody will form a ppt, lets say more of the ppt forms with the antibodies with B than it does with C this means that A is more closely related to B than C

hope this helps..
nooooo-oooo-ooo 😱😭

:frown:
Original post by ThatMadClown
ok look at it this way, lets say you have three species, A B and C and you wanna know if A is more closely related to B or C now what you do it this:

1. Take protein from A and add it to a rabbit
2. Obtain the antibodies from the rabbit
3. add these antibodies to the proteins of B and C

now, the protein and antibody will form a ppt, lets say more of the ppt forms with the antibodies with B than it does with C this means that A is more closely related to B than C

hope this helps..

it does, tnku! :3 see my edit, thou..

so, to clarify, it's basically determining how similar the "proteins" (whatever the antibody - which is specific - binds to) are in the species, which is observed by the mass of the precipitate formed? I think!
it does, tnku! :3 see my edit, thou..

so, to clarify, it's basically determining how similar the "proteins" (whatever the antibody - which is specific - binds to) are in the species, which is observed by the mass of the precipitate formed? I think!

exactly that, except in the paper say how closely related, not how similar the proteins
exactly that, except in the paper say how closely related, not how similar the proteins

okey! thanks again
Any chance someone could list all the differences between meiosis and mitosis?(6mark style)
Reply 188
Original post by mck9777
Any chance someone could list all the differences between meiosis and mitosis?(6mark style)

Mitosis produces two diploid daughter cells, whereas meiosis produces four haploid cells. With mitosis one cell division occurs whereas with meiosis two cell divisions occur. Mitosis occurs in asexually reproducing organisms, whereas meiosis occurs in sexually reproducing organisms. Mitosis produces normal body cells to replace them quickly. Meiosis produces sex cells only(egg and sperm cells). With mitosis crossing over cannot occur where as it can in meiosis.

That's all i've got :smile:
Any ideas on the six marker?
I was thinking it may be on mitosis or meiosis, or a comparison of these two? Any ideas? :smile:
the only ethical aspect of unit 2 is probably the maintenance of biodiversity and why its important to conserve habitats and species for both economic and ecological and environmental reasons.

Aren't there ethical issues in the stem cell research as well? The In vitro fertilization as a medical practice and the obtaining of ES cells from embryos
Original post by mystic shadow
Aren't there ethical issues in the stem cell research as well? The In vitro fertilization as a medical practice and the obtaining of ES cells from embryos

where in the spec is this
Reply 192
where in the spec is this

that isn't on our specification
Reply 193
Original post by Anam
Mitosis produces two diploid daughter cells, whereas meiosis produces four haploid cells. With mitosis one cell division occurs whereas with meiosis two cell divisions occur. Mitosis occurs in asexually reproducing organisms, whereas meiosis occurs in sexually reproducing organisms. Mitosis produces normal body cells to replace them quickly. Meiosis produces sex cells only(egg and sperm cells). With mitosis crossing over cannot occur where as it can in meiosis.

That's all i've got :smile:

and that the daughter cells are genetically identical in mitosis, but in meiosis every daughter cell is genetically different due to independent segregation of chromosomes and crossing over :smile:
Anyone got any good revision sites with questions? I've done all the past papers and questions I can find. Much appreciated.
Original post by mystic shadow

you're talking about unit 5
Original post by Azula
and that the daughter cells are genetically identical in mitosis, but in meiosis every daughter cell is genetically different due to independent segregation of chromosomes and crossing over :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen_pink
the taxonomy/classification:
kingdom
phylum
class
order
family
genus
species
(remember this: King, Phillip, Came, Over, From, Germany, Swimming.)

also you need to know the binomial naming system= genus and species.

what the term hierarchy means.

how a phylogenic system differs to a simple hierarchy

teh principles in which biologists use to classify organisms into groups

cant think of anything else
hope this helped :smile:

can you explain the difference between phylogenic system and heirarchy pls? :smile:
Original post by buckeybarnes
can you explain the difference between phylogenic system and heirarchy pls? :smile:

phylogenic system shows a common ancestor and a hierarchy are groups within larger groups with no overlap
Reply 199
Original post by buckeybarnes

hierarchy is a system of groups within groups with no overlap where similar organisms are arranged into groups. Down the hierarchy the groups get smaller but there are more groups. It ends with species - the groups that contain only one type of organism.
phylogenic trees show the evolutionary history and relationship between groups of organisms, showing which species are most closely related to other species. Closely related species diverged away from each other most recently.
Diverged just means evolved to become diff species.
Also shows which organisms diverged first from common ancestor to become a different species
Hope this wasn't too long winded :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending