The Student Room Group

Pointless aspects of my life: being treated like "one of the lads"

Things guys say to me:
"Alright mate"
"See ya later mate"
Apparently I'm "just like one of the lads". I can't work out if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't mind being friends with people but a guy calling you "mate" is like the equivalent of a man being called "cute". I've even started calling them 'mate' now (usually as a joke). I feel like a man -_-

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts / experiences / encounters. I am bored.

Also, please share any film recommendations. I'd like to watch something good tonight :smile:

Also, also, I'd like to take this moment to say sorry to peeps whose PMs I haven't responded to in months. I'm really bad at it.

Scroll to see replies

alright mate
Reply 2
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Things guys say to me:
"Alright mate"
"See ya later mate"
Apparently I'm "just like one of the lads". I can't work out if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't mind being friends with people but a guy calling you "mate" is like the equivalent of a man being called "cute". I've even started calling them 'mate' now (usually as a joke). I feel like a man -_-

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts / experiences / encounters. I am bored.

Also, please share any film recommendations. I'd like to watch something good tonight :smile:

Also, also, I'd like to take this moment to say sorry to peeps whose PMs I haven't responded to in months. I'm really bad at it.

I refer to my female friends as mate.

"Equivalent of a man being called cute" - what's wrong with a man being called cute?

Why would it be a bad thing?

Simple analysis of this would be you are worried about being friend zoned. Is this correct?
Reply 3
Film recommendation. " A Town Called Panic"
Omg this is so funny. I hate the words lads or mate,it's so cringy
Probably just means you're part of the crew now,site back and relax,you're one of their homies now
I say "m8" but that's about as far as it goes. You know you done ****ed it up when you're called "mate"

Film recommendations:

Friday 13th
Cannibal Holocaust
Wrong Turn 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974
Bambi
The Hills Have Eyes
Silence of the Lambs
no way can a thottie be part of my mandem
Original post by JD1lla
I refer to my female friends as mate.

"Equivalent of a man being called cute" - what's wrong with a man being called cute?

Why would it be a bad thing?

Simple analysis of this would be you are worried about being friend zoned. Is this correct?

Friend-zone is better than no-friends-at-all-zone. I'll take it.

Original post by KingPablo
Film recommendation. " A Town Called Panic"

Original post by somemightsay888
I say "m8" but that's about as far as it goes. You know you done ****ed it up when you're called "mate"

Film recommendations:

Friday 13th
Cannibal Holocaust
Wrong Turn 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974
Bambi
The Hills Have Eyes
Silence of the Lambs

Bambi might be a bit too brutal.

Original post by gr8wizard10
no way can a thottie be part of my mandem

What is 'thottie'?
how's it hanging, left or right?
Bambi might be a bit too brutal.

:rofl: Actually laughed, 10/10
Original post by somemightsay888
:rofl: Actually laughed, 10/10

Ha, I have my moments.
Its weird that, I'd call the girl by her name. Just tell them to address you like you are, not mate every single time. It'd be weird. And mate for me is more just like respect, if that makes sense.

If you like it, call them back mate.

If not, tell them.

Simple.

And if you feel like a male, what's the harm in that?

Best film recommendation ever:
Hobbit + LOTR Marathon with extended editions.
Vertigo
Taxi Driver
Air Con
Django Unchained
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers Assemble.
Trainspotting.
(edited 8 years ago)
What better?
Being called 'mate' as a greeting "GDAY BY THE WAY"
Or being chest bumped through the wall by a college footballpyscho, I still have those bricks in my back btw, so Be careful with the answer dude
What makes you think you aren't a man?

Watch In Bruges or Withnail & I, preferably both in quick succession, if you're up for a laugh.
Original post by Birkenhead
What makes you think you aren't a man?

Watch In Bruges or Withnail & I, preferably both in quick succession, if you're up for a laugh.

It might well be the fact that I don't have a dick.
Films: The Judge with Robert Downey Jr.
Paul, Shaun of the Dead, Run Fat Boy Run etc with Simon Pegg
8 Mile with Eminem
Shawshank Redemption
Fockers
Skyfall
Mission impossible
Due Date

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good watch is the underrated film. Donnie Brasco. I honestly think it would be rated as highly as Scarface if it was made in the 80s. It's most claustrophobic and sensitive than almost any other ganster movie I've seen. Starring Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. Must watch.

Being called mate is good. You're on of our homies now, but you're still female, so unless you're ugly we will bang you if that's what you want.
I guess being one of the guys is good because you have lots of friends, but bad because non of them see you romantically.

Marvel films (take your pick) :smile:
Guardians of the Galaxy <- specifically good
Sherlock Holmes (the ones with robert downy jr in)
Your Highness <- entertaining in a funny weird kinda way, i liked it
catch me if you can, good film
knight and day, Action flick
Things guys say to me:
"Alright mate"
"See ya later mate"

Woah woah woah, hold yo fluffy tailed horses. Being called "cute" is in no way the same as being called "mate". At all. EVER.

First of all, being called "cute" is largely synonymous with "he's attractive but I wouldn't shag him". As you are probably aware, the male ego is a very fragile thing, and although "cute" is usually given as a compliment it does tend to bruise said ego quite readily.

"Mate" isn't even a term of endearment, it's merely an acknowledgement of someone's existence. "See you later" sounds cold, distant. "See you later mate" has exactly the same meaning, but that last word softens the blow and changes the entire way that the sentence, that is for all intents for purposes identical, sounds. It makes it warmer, friendlier, and less blunt.

There are worse things to be called, trust me. Revel in the fact that you have friends who have accepted you as one of their own, some people don't even get that far (socially speaking).

Quick Reply

Latest