The Student Room Group

Where to apply to?

Hi all, I am planning on applying for Law this year after getting my results this summer.

I got A*A*A but in Economics, Business and Media. 8777766665 in GCSE.

I plan on doing the LNAT soon-ish so I want 2 universities in my 5 that require this as aspirational applications.

Because they're achieved grades I would like 2-3 aspirational / risky universities, then 2-3 for sure universities that are still decent.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to go anywhere in England.
Reply 1
What area of Law do you want to do after University?
Original post by CompSciJP
What area of Law do you want to do after University?

Intellectual property law looks most appealing at the moment. The only reservation I have about law is the work-life culture, so MC firms and other large corporate firms seem daunting. I might also look into working for the Civil Service, maybe for the CMA atm.
Reply 3
Have you actually looked at the entry requirements at any top Law Schools.
Or are you just showing off.
Original post by McGinger
Have you actually looked at the entry requirements at any top Law Schools.
Or are you just showing off.

Yes, in fact, I've looked far too many times. But Law is very competitive and the only good thing about my application is the A-Level results lmfao. The subjects are embarrassing, and the GCSE grades are mediocre...

That's the issue. If I had all 8s and 9s, and my A-Levels were History, English Lit and Maths then I wouldn't be here, I would be sending off my applications already - but my subject choices are holding me back - I don't know how weak they really are!
Reply 5
Original post by gregregregreg
f my A-Levels were History, English Lit and Maths then I wouldn't be here, I would be sending off my applications already

Law has no required subjects - and there are no hidden agendas, no secret info that only special people know.
So - Economics, Business and Media are fine.

For top Unis, the most important aspects of a Law application are A level grades and your LNAT score.
For Bristol, as one example, the weightings are GCSE 20% / A levels 40% / LNAT 40%.

Apply.
Law has no required subjects - and there are no hidden agendas, no secret info that only special people know.
So - Economics, Business and Media are fine.

For top Unis, the most important aspects of a Law application are A level grades and your LNAT score.
For Bristol, as one example, the weightings are GCSE 20% / A levels 40% / LNAT 40%.

Apply.

Ok thanks. That is true - although I'll quote Cambridge:

"For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of applicants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A (62% of entrants). These successful applicants typically took at least one of English (Language, Language & Literature, or Literature, 86%), History, or a language. All remaining entrants took Mathematics and at least one of the ‘good choice combination subjects’ recommended by Subject Matters."

So there are preferred subjects, but that is obviously expected for the top law schools.

Thanks for being being straight with me though
Reply 7
Original post by gregregregreg

"For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of applicants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A (62% of entrants). These successful applicants typically took at least one of English (Language, Language & Literature, or Literature, 86%), History, or a language. All remaining entrants took Mathematics and at least one of the ‘good choice combination subjects’ recommended by Subject Matters."

This doesnt mean that you had to have these subjects to get into Cambridge or that this was why they got a place.
Its just statistics of those who did.

If you look at the 'home address in London or SE England' you'll see a high correlation with 'got into Oxbridge'.
It doesnt mean that this is why they got into Oxbridge.
This doesnt mean that you had to have these subjects to get into Cambridge or that this was why they got a place.
Its just statistics of those who did.

If you look at the 'home address in London or SE England' you'll see a high correlation with 'got into Oxbridge'.
It doesnt mean that this is why they got into Oxbridge.

True. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending