The Student Room Group

January 2011 5viii mei d1

why wouldn't more accurate data get the mark i.e. instead of the probability of scoring one goal being 0.1, it could be 0.100001 or something. Also why do 3 digit random numbers increase efficiency? i know this will mean fewer rejections but you have more to choose from a greater number so it kinda decreases efficiency too and if you pick 5 random numbers form two digit numbers with no rejections and 5 from 3 digit numbers without rejection, i think the 2 digit number system would be more efficient?
Reply 1
Original post by runny4
why wouldn't more accurate data get the mark i.e. instead of the probability of scoring one goal being 0.1, it could be 0.100001 or something. Also why do 3 digit random numbers increase efficiency? i know this will mean fewer rejections but you have more to choose from a greater number so it kinda decreases efficiency too and if you pick 5 random numbers form two digit numbers with no rejections and 5 from 3 digit numbers without rejection, i think the 2 digit number system would be more efficient?

this one
Original post by runny4
this one

The accuracy of the data is not relevant; the probabilities only dictate how many digits you need in your random numbers (in order to get integer-ranges). If you have integer-ranges with n digit numbers there is no benefit to using >n digit numbers.
Reply 3
Original post by lizard54142
The accuracy of the data is not relevant; the probabilities only dictate how many digits you need in your random numbers (in order to get integer-ranges). If you have integer-ranges with n digit numbers there is no benefit to using >n digit numbers.

yeah but it if the first person has probability of 0.1 and further data prove that it is nearer 0.2 it will change the ranges of random numbers and therefore the accuracy of the simulation
Original post by runny4
yeah but it if the first person has probability of 0.1 and further data prove that it is nearer 0.2 it will change the ranges of random numbers and therefore the accuracy of the simulation

If the question states "the probability of x is y" then you assume that this is 100% accurate. The only way to improve the results directly is to run more simulations.
Reply 5
Original post by lizard54142
If the question states "the probability of x is y" then you assume that this is 100% accurate. The only way to improve the results directly is to run more simulations.

if it said these probabilities are worked out from 10 matches then what?
Original post by runny4
if it said these probabilities are worked out from 10 matches then what?

I doubt they would say that; that's more a statistical question. If they did, then "observe more matches".

Quick Reply

Latest