The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A - levels for LSE

I’m in my final year in IGCSE, and I’m picking my a levels, I aim to go to LSE and study the accounting and finance course.

The A-levels I’m considering are ( Pure maths, Economics, government and politics ) are these 3 a levels good enough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ja3far
I’m in my final year in IGCSE, and I’m picking my a levels, I aim to go to LSE and study the accounting and finance course.

The A-levels I’m considering are ( Pure maths, Economics, government and politics ) are these 3 a levels good enough?

Yes. But you'll need to be aiming for A*AA or even A*A*A due to the 'intense' competition for places at LSE. :wink:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Ja3far

can you just take a regular maths a-level? that'd be better.

govt. and politics and econ look solid - this is what's on LSE's website. "The programme has a significant qualitative component and applications are encouraged from students who have taken essay-based subjects at A-level or equivalent." as far as i can see, there's nothing about taking further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
Yes. But you'll need to be aiming for A*AA or even A*A*A due to the 'intense' competition for places at LSE. :wink:

agreed, 3A* is practically a threshold at LSE. i'm a current offer holder for econ and i don't know anyone who doesn't have those grades
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
can you just take a regular maths a-level? that'd be better.

govt. and politics and econ look solid - this is what's on LSE's website. "The programme has a significant qualitative component and applications are encouraged from students who have taken essay-based subjects at A-level or equivalent." as far as i can see, there's nothing about taking further maths.

I believe you have to choose the type of math you would like to do for example : pure maths, further maths, statistics

and I was told that pure maths is more respected than statistics
Reply 5
Original post by Ja3far
I believe you have to choose the type of math you would like to do for example : pure maths, further maths, statistics

and I was told that pure maths is more respected than statistics

Are you taking Edexcel International A-Levels? (IALs) or Cambridge International A-Levels? CAIE (CIE)?

I have all the past papers for all Maths, Economics and Politics exams and can send them to you. :smile:

Inshallah, you will achieve A*A*A* and be accepted to LSE.

But you really should study Maths A-Level, not Pure. There is a choice of S1, S2, S3 and M1, M2, M3 and D1. I would advise S1, S2, or S1, M1. :wink:
Reply 6
agreed, 3A* is practically a threshold at LSE. i'm a current offer holder for econ and i don't know anyone who doesn't have those grades

Are you saying, 99% of offer holders for BSc Economics have 3A* predicted or greater?! :frown:

I wonder what it is like for LLB Law at LSE? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Are you taking Edexcel International A-Levels? (IALs) or Cambridge International A-Levels? CAIE (CIE)?

I have all the past papers for all Maths, Economics and Politics exams and can send them to you. :smile:

Inshallah, you will achieve A*A*A* and be accepted to LSE.

But you really should study Maths A-Level, not Pure. There is a choice of S1, S2, S3 and M1, M2, M3 and D1. I would advise S1, S2, or S1, M1. :wink:

I’m going to take the edexcel international a levels, I would appreciate it a lot brother.

I will confirm these details with my school and inshallah I will take the maths a level S1 S2

Thank you so much!
Reply 8
Original post by Ja3far
I’m going to take the edexcel international a levels, I would appreciate it a lot brother.

I will confirm these details with my school and inshallah I will take the maths a level S1 S2

my email is : [email protected]
Thank you so much!

If you're an International student, you're more likely to be given admission by LSE. :wink:

I sent you an email.
If you're an International student, you're more likely to be given admission by LSE. :wink:

I sent you an email.

Really? I'm doing Edexcel IAL too and really want to get into LSE for environmental and sustainable development but the competition is making me quite worried.
Reply 10
Great to hear! I’m waiting for the past papers, thank you for your support

I sent you an email.
Original post by NazifaNawer
Really? I'm doing Edexcel IAL too and really want to get into LSE for environmental and sustainable development but the competition is making me quite worried.

Which IAL A-Levels are you taking? I have most of the past papers for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Economics and Geography from January 2001 to June 2022 for all UK boards and CAIE and IALs. :wink: I can send them to you to maximise your chances of success at gaining admission to LSE.

You can mention your high scores in modules in your UCAS reference. LSE love high grades achieved. So you could also re-apply with achieved grades too.

I would also recommend Cambridge University, as they don't really care about IGCSEs, but mostly A-Levels achieved grades.
Which IAL A-Levels are you taking? I have most of the past papers for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Economics and Geography from January 2001 to June 2022 for all UK boards and CAIE and IALs. :wink: I can send them to you to maximise your chances of success at gaining admission to LSE.

You can mention your high scores in modules in your UCAS reference. LSE love high grades achieved. So you could also re-apply with achieved grades too.

I would also recommend Cambridge University, as they don't really care about IGCSEs, but mostly A-Levels achieved grades.

I'm taking accounting, economics and business. Unfortunately I didn't know that we need maths for studying in LSE. That's why I am thinking of environmental and sustainable development since it doesn't require maths. Biggest regret of my life. So Cambridge university is out of my choice. Also, I live outside the UK.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by NazifaNawer
I'm taking accounting, economics and business. Unfortunately I didn't know that we need maths for studying in LSE. That's why I am thinking of environmental and sustainable development since it doesn't require maths. Biggest regret of my life. So Cambridge university is out of my choice. Also, I live outside the UK.

accounting and business are non-preferred subjects at LSE. it's mandated that you have at least two of these preferred subjects for them to even consider you

I don't think the thing about Cambridge is accurate! they most definitely do care about GCSEs, successful applicants usually have all 9s and 8s
Are you saying, 99% of offer holders for BSc Economics have 3A* predicted or greater?! :frown:

yes
yes

What about other subjects besides BSc economics?

accounting and business are non-preferred subjects at LSE. it's mandated that you have at least two of these preferred subjects for them to even consider you

Oh thank God!

I wonder what it is like for LLB Law at LSE? :s-smilie:

I would suggest looking at the 2022/23 offer spreadsheet for your preferred course to see what the calibre / a level combination of “offered” students is. Only 1600 people get offered a place at LSE, with 27,000 applying. And 50% of them are international. So it’s harder to get into LSE than it is to Oxford or Cambridge. If you look at the current offer spreadsheet, you’ll also see that your Personal Statement is extremely important as a deciding factor. :-)

Oh my goodness?! :s-smilie: @NazifaNawer you have Accounting and Business Studies, which are not highly regarded by LSE or other universities. :frown:

Perhaps you could do Maths and Further Maths self study, as there are so many videos online on YouTube. Also, I have all the past papers, mark schemes and reports from 1992 to 2022 for Edexcel, and also CAIE from 2001 to 2022, AQA 2001 to 2022, OCR MEI 2005 - 2022, OCR 2005 - 2022, WJEC 2005 - 2022 and CCEA from 2005 - 2022.

You don't stand much of a chance with Accounting, Business and Economics. But if you offer Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business and Accounting, you'll be a very strong candidate and of course a strong UCAS Personal Statement matters too hugely so. :wink:
Oh my goodness?! :s-smilie: @NazifaNawer you have Accounting and Business Studies, which are not highly regarded by LSE or other universities. :frown:

Perhaps you could do Maths and Further Maths self study, as there are so many videos online on YouTube. Also, I have all the past papers, mark schemes and reports from 1992 to 2022 for Edexcel, and also CAIE from 2001 to 2022, AQA 2001 to 2022, OCR MEI 2005 - 2022, OCR 2005 - 2022, WJEC 2005 - 2022 and CCEA from 2005 - 2022.

You don't stand much of a chance with Accounting, Business and Economics. But if you offer Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business and Accounting, you'll be a very strong candidate and of course a strong UCAS Personal Statement matters too hugely so. :wink:

Yes I'm thinking of sef studying maths, I'll let you know if I do take maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending