The Student Room Group

Why are feminists always so eager to slap their label on everyone?

It's like
A: "Do you think rape is good?"
B: "No, of course not."
A: "Congratulations, you're a feminist."

What the hell?

Scroll to see replies

They have to lie about what their ideology actually is or entails otherwise less people would want to be a feminist.
Oh Jesus christ I hate this kind of topic.
Firstly, being against rape doesn't suddenly 'turn' you into a feminist. Being against rape makes you a normal human being with moral respect. Why does everyone get so picky when the word 'feminist' is mentioned? It literally means the belief that men and women have equal rights, so being 'labelled' as this shouldn't be something to complain about. Anybody (regardless of male) that tries to state that females are the superior sex are not feminists like majority of the population are- those are extreme-feminists who have no people skills.
Although I've personally never walked around and started labeling people as feminists based on their views, I do think a lot of people do this as some act of defense. As soon as a female gets spoken down to and starts to defend herself, she's suddenly 'one of those annoying feminists' who nobody really listens to because she's a woman. I've been through this, so has pretty much every woman you talk to. This society views feminism as something evil and unnatural and can be taken advantage of by people who actually don't know what it means- which is when you get those sort of weird questions. Feminists are a minority or just people who claim they're feminists when they're *******s who think women lead the world.

There's nothing wrong with being a feminist, so the person who told you this probably didn't mean any harm and was just checking if you were talking about rape.
In my opinion, anybody who isn't a feminist is a horrible person (i.e. you don't believe men and women deserve equal rights)
Did this person just ask you that out of the blue? Weird example hm
loled because it's true.

A: I'm not a feminist
B: Do you like equality?
A: yes
B: Congratulations you're a feminist.

lol. k den.
Everyone needs to STFU about this stuff. Seriously having feminist values is one thing but the threads that're made slating feminism usual only reference some ridiculous obscure scenario involving what appears to be a 14 year old girl and boy bickering in a citizenship lesson. Every healthy person knows that rape is wrong end of story.

Now brush the chip off your shoulder and get a bloody life. No feminist gives a **** about your childish obsessions they're busy getting on with life and so should you be.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Everyone needs to STFU about this stuff. Seriously having feminist values is one thing but the threads that're made slating feminism usual only reference some ridiculous obscure scenario involving what appears to be a 14 year old girl and boy bickering in a citizenship lesson. Every healthy person knows that rape is wrong end of story.

Now brush the chip off your shoulder and get a bloody life. No feminist gives a **** about your childish obsessions they're busy getting on with life and so should you be.

You must be new here :rofl:

It;s the cosmic background noise of TSR :indiff:
Many feminists seem to think that because you fit the usual definition of a feminist you are a member of the movement, very annoying.

It happens in every single debate involving a feminist and a normal person lol. Their go-to argument when they have nothing else to say is 'lol you're a feminist though'
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You must be new here :rofl:

It;s the cosmic background noise of TSR :indiff:
I've said what I said here because I know that, everyone needs to grow up. Pathetic children arguing about obscurities.

Original post by ChickenMadness
It happens in every single debate involving a feminist and a normal person lol. Their go-to argument when they have nothing else to say is 'lol you're a feminist though'

Okay. Cry...
killallmen
I've said what I said here because I know that, everyone needs to grow up. Pathetic children arguing about obscurities.

Okay. Cry...

Don't cry. Crying won't change anything :smile:
Don't cry. Crying won't change anything :smile:
I meant you 😘
idk why that would get u so heated
Original post by ImagineCats
In my opinion, anybody who isn't a feminist is a horrible person (i.e. you don't believe men and women deserve equal rights)

What if someone does believe that men and women deserve equal rights, but that the word "feminist" carries additional undesirable meanings and connotations over and above just this, and therefore wishes not to be described as such?
It's hilarious how much the word feminist makes 14 year old boys on here rage. Okay lads, shut up and wait for mommy to tuck you in.
I meant you 😘

I'm not crying :smile:

Be calm my child.
I'm not crying :smile:

Be calm my child.

OMG stop oppressing her you cis scum!
Reply 17
Personally I have a lot of problems with mainstream feminism - mostly that it tends to be made out to be so much simpler than it really is. "you believe in equality ergo you are a feminist :smile:" is ridiculous ideology. People don't have to be told what they are. Feminists will also bombard you with statistics about the wage gap, forgetting that actually, it's only white women who make that 70-something% of a man's wage. It's not intersectional and seems to forget that black women earn less than that, and Latina women even less than that. So in the end it's excluding women of colour, and therefore the entire issue of racism.
I also think it's important that we remember disabled people. I'm sure that white women earn more and are much more employable than those who are disabled (disabled men included!) so saying "women earn less!" isn't a straight fact - "statistically, able bodied, cis, white women earn less than able-bodied, cis, white men" is more on the mark.
However, you have to remember that people who like to label everyone they meet as feminists are simply trying to fix the damage that has been done to the reputation of the movement. "Feminist" is often seen as a dirty word, and I'm sure they're meaning well when they try to show you how simple the definition of feminism is (even though it really isn't).

Sorry for the long reply!!
Original post by SelmaE
Personally I have a lot of problems with mainstream feminism - mostly that it tends to be made out to be so much simpler than it really is. "you believe in equality ergo you are a feminist :smile:" is ridiculous ideology. People don't have to be told what they are. Feminists will also bombard you with statistics about the wage gap, forgetting that actually, it's only white women who make that 70-something% of a man's wage. It's not intersectional and seems to forget that black women earn less than that, and Latina women even less than that. So in the end it's excluding women of colour, and therefore the entire issue of racism.
I also think it's important that we remember disabled people. I'm sure that white women earn more and are much more employable than those who are disabled (disabled men included!) so saying "women earn less!" isn't a straight fact - "statistically, able bodied, cis, white women earn less than able-bodied, cis, white men" is more on the mark.
However, you have to remember that people who like to label everyone they meet as feminists are simply trying to fix the damage that has been done to the reputation of the movement. "Feminist" is often seen as a dirty word, and I'm sure they're meaning well when they try to show you how simple the definition of feminism is (even though it really isn't).

Sorry for the long reply!!

But even your example of an able bodied, cis, white women earning less than able-bodied, cis, white men is still misleading. It implies the same employer will pay a woman less then a man for exactly the same work. This just isn't true.
i am 'not' a feminist & proud

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending