The Student Room Group

How much input should the father have in deciding on abortion?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 100umsgod
It was to your point that this is determined as a 'subjective' topic because people in this thread have different opinions. That is what I was contesting.

So you weren't against my argument on differing opinions on ethics?
Original post by SophieSmall
So you weren't against my argument on differing opinions on ethics?

No.
I initially took issue with how you just floated away on a cloud of moral supremacy, which I have noticed a lot of feminists (or, in your case, who I initially assumed to be a feminist) on this forum do. I want to understand why they do this.
Original post by Juichiro
You can just provide abortion-only medical access and no child benefits.

1. Talking about anger. I said "I want to believe". I did not say "I believed". Also, using offensive words does not support your views.
2. I didn't. If you have a look at post 94, you will see that I used the bold feature on your text to reference the replied I made. You will see that most of your text has been referenced. You have done no such things with my points. If you still believe, that I didn't feel free to give the number of posts containing points I didn't reply to. I believe your claim is false but I am willing to change my beliefs in the face of evidence.
3. No two individuals have the same ethical views. Your blanket statement seems to lack relevance here. If you don't wish to have your views challenged, don't post in here. But you should not get angry whenever someone challenges your views.
4. Again, using offensive words does not support your views.
5. Ad hominem.
6. Same as point 5. Also point 3 applies here too.
7. Point 3 applies here too.

There is no point in getting angry and using offensive words, Sophie. :smile: I want to believe that you can do better than that.

Not even angry, more disappointed.

Please don't reply to me again. If you care to know why I didn't respond to your post view my replies 100umsgod. If not, no matter.
Original post by 100umsgod
No.
I initially took issue with how you just floated away on a cloud of moral supremacy, which I have noticed a lot of feminists (or, in your case, who I initially assumed to be a feminist) on this forum do. I want to understand why they do this.

Nope, that was not the case.

I just saw no point in responding to him when he clearly did not understand or care for the points I put forward.

His argument was that it was unethical/illogical, my argument was that it was unethical (and could also argue illogical if I cared enough to continue with him). So as such we clearly would not agree as we very clearly have different moral compasses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
I do agree that the man should voice his opinion when it comes to this but ultimately it's still the woman's choice. That's why I believe its important to be on the same side of the abortion argument when in a relationship. I couldn't imagine being pro choice myself but then have a pro life partner. That just wouldn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in that conundrum my self - my boyfriend is pro-life while I am pro-choice and would definitely want to abort if I became pregnant within the next couple of years. Obviously the plan is not to get knocked up, but it makes me incredibly uncomfortable how unsupportive my partner would be if we ever got in that situation.

It just so happens this is a particular area which will never be fair purely due to the nature of pregnancy.

It can be ethical and I already explained how. You haven't explained why my argument is invalid.

1.Well clearly it is, just look at how different the responses are to each other in this thread

Juichiro thinks it is unethical for a man to have to pay for a child he doesn't want and has no say in, 2.I think it is unethical for a child to go without due to it's father not paying child maintenance.

Clearly in a perfect world this 3.child never would have been born if it didn't have two parents who want it. But 4.this isn't a perfect world and children will be born regardless, is that unethical? Yes. 5.But it is also unethical to force women to abort to prevent this.

1. I disagree. Most responses here are variations of 2 views.
2. You just made another fictional dichotomy. "Juichiro thinks it is unethical for a man to have to pay for a child he doesn't want and has no say in" this is true. "I think it is unethical for a child to go without due to it's father not paying child maintenance." I think this is unethical when the father had a say in the child birth. But I think it is ethical when he did not have a say just as I think it is ethical that a child in China does not eat because Sophie (a member of the same species as him) did not send him any money. Sophie and the father have zero responsibility for the respective kids because they did not have a say in their birth.
3. One parent could be fine too. You just need enough money to support the kid.
4. You are assuming that there is no way to prevent a child's birth. That assumption is false. Abortion can prevent a birth. So you can't say "regardless".
5. It is just as unethical as forcing men to pay for consequences of decisions taken by someone else. And imo, measures should be taken to ensure that none of these situations happen. My explanation given earlier prevents both of these situations.
Original post by Zargabaath
Do you think that he should be forced to pay child support if he doesn't want to keep it?

I think that's a separate issue entirely. If a man has fathered a baby than he has a duty to that child to help support them, same way that the mother does.
Original post by seaholme
I think that's a separate issue entirely. If a man has fathered a baby than he has a duty to that child to help support them, same way that the mother does.

But surely to give the mother more reproductive rights than the father is unfair? Do you think both genders should have equal rights?
Not even angry, more disappointed.

Please don't reply to me again. If you care to know why I didn't respond to your post view my replies 100umsgod. If not, no matter.

You insulted quite a few times (and I didn't insult you), that is why I thought you were angry. Regardless, it does not excuse, your use of offensive words or your emotional reaction (whether it is anger or disappointment). As said, if you don't like to get you views challenged, a thread like this is not the best place to share your views.

I reply to all those who reply to me or quote me or say my name. If you don't want me to reply to you, just don't quote or say my name. This is after all a thread where we can all talk and challenge each other's views. If you want me to know why just send me a reply, this thread is 7 page long, it is not polite to make me go on post hunt when you can succinctly type it yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
The idea of two adults screaming at one another

one with, 'It's my baby'

the other 'it's my body'

It's pretty sad overall
But surely to give the mother more reproductive rights than the father is unfair? Do you think both genders should have equal rights?

Well both have the same 'reproductive' rights in the first place, either can choose whether they want to reproduce, but the mother is then the only one who has to deal with the gestation after the reproduction, and that is where men have no rights over the incubation and gestation of the foetus. It happens within a woman's body and is therefore no longer within the jurisdiction of both parents (unlike the initial act) as actually it only affects one of them.

The question about providing child support afterwards is no longer a question of the rights of the parents but that of the child who is now an entity in the equation and is owed support by both its mother and father.

1. Forcing something on someone is not ethical whether it is a pregnancy/abortion on a woman or financial payments on a man.
2. "I disagree with everyone who says the woman should not have to abort if it was unwanted - she should have thought about that before she chose to get pregnant".
3. "it's unfair for the child to grow up without a dad - it must be horrible for a child to think s/he wasn't wanted [because the mother chose to gave birth to a fatherless child]".
4. " anyone with a heart and is not self centred choose to only give birth to a child whose biological parents have chosen to have. Actions have consequences. "

1. Similar to what Sophie Small said, I don't think it's ethical for the child to grow up with their father being uninterested in them and the child's interests overpower all others because s/he didn't ask to be brought into this world, and I think it's really cruel to do that to a child
3. See 1. and more like the father chose to opt out. You're implying it's the mother's fault the child is fatherless. While it was both their faults she got pregnant, if she decides to go ahead with the pregnancy and the child is born, then the father having nothing to do with it will create psychological/self esteem issues as they grow up, and therefore it's actually his fault. How would you feel if your dad left you and your mum while she was pregnant with you? Because I know that would make me feel like ****. You have to realise this is not just a petty, legal contract that the man can opt out of easily. This is a living, breathing human being who needs love and attention, so empathy and selflessness is needed by both involved in this situation.
(edited 8 years ago)

Following your statement, the logical conclusion is that if a man has fathered a baby (i.e. his sperm has contributed to the eventual birth of a child), he should should support them the same way as the mother.

So all those sperm bank donors, should, following your statement, support children they did not want to have.

I think the above is unethical.
Following your statement, the logical conclusion is that if a man has fathered a baby (i.e. his sperm has contributed to the eventual birth of a child), he should should support them the same way as the mother.

So all those sperm bank donors, should, following your statement, support children they did not want to have.

I think the above is unethical.

The contract between a donor to a sperm bank and the recipient of sperm quite clearly assumes this not to be the case, so this is a silly point to make.
Well both have the same 'reproductive' rights in the first place, either can choose whether they want to reproduce, but the mother is then the only one who has to deal with the gestation after the reproduction, and that is where men have no rights over the incubation and gestation of the foetus. It happens within a woman's body and is therefore no longer within the jurisdiction of both parents (unlike the initial act) as actually it only affects one of them.

The question about providing child support afterwards is no longer a question of the rights of the parents but that of the child who is now an entity in the equation and is owed support by both its mother and father.

Reproductive right's refer to the right to terminate a pregnancy, not the act of sex.

Having a baby only effects one of them? Are you serious? Are the feelings of men really this worthless? My mum worked with a guy who ended up killing himself after his wife had a miscarriage. Obviously it doesn't just effect one of them. Ask your father if it would've effected him if your mum had aborted you against his will. FFS this thread is depressing.
Reply 135
While I believe that life is the most amazing thing in the world (sorry about the cheesiness; my wife just had a baby), I also think people should have the right to make choices.

The same way that a couple can consciously decide it is the right time to have a baby, they can also agree if it is not the right time. I think there is no harm in taking the man’s opinion in consideration especially if the couple are in a relationship but ultimately women should have the right to decide whether they want an abortion or not.

The best thing a guy can do in this situation is to support and help her make the best informed decision as she possibly can.
Original post by Kyle1198
a1. Similar to what Sophie Small said, I don't think it's ethical for the child to grow up with their father being uninterested in them and bthe child's interests overpower all others because s/he didn't ask to be brought into this world, and I think it's really cruel to do that to a child
3. See 1. and more like the father chose to opt out. c.You're implying it's the mother's fault the child is fatherless. While d.it was both their faults she got pregnant, eif she decides to go ahead with the pregnancy and the child is born, then the father having nothing to do with it will create psychological/self esteem issues as they grow up, and therefore it's actually his fault. fHow would you feel if your dad left you and your mum while she was pregnant with you? Because I know that would make me feel like ****. gYou have to release this is not just a petty, legal contract that the man can opt out of easily. h.This is a living, breathing human being who needs love and attention, so empathy and selflessness is needed by both involved in this situation.

a. "I don't think it's ethical for the child to grow up with their father being uninterested in them". Gay mothers probably disagree with your views and this is another argument against your views (which contribute to the number of kids in adoption) but I elaborate on this another day. Let us assume that I agree with you. Assumption 1: If that child is not born, that child won't grow up fatherless. Assumption 2: abortion can prevent that child from being born. Conclusion: a child does not have to grow up fatherless.

b. If the child is aborted, a child has no interests. And a child can be aborted. Hence, your point (about the child's desires and well-being) is invalid.

c. I am not implying it, I am stating it (when the sole person choosing whether the child is given birth is the mother).

d. But only the mother's fault if the child is given birth because the mother chose to do so but the male wanted abortion. Your choice, your consequence.

e. I bet I could get many homosexual parents to disagree with you on this. But as I said, that argument (against the archaic idea of happiness = mom+dad) is for another day. See point b.

f. See point e and point b.

g. See point b.

h. Are you pro-life? See point b.

You seem incredibly unaware of the existence of abortion. Abortion removes all the ethical ramifications associated with a child's existence.
Reproductive right's refer to the right to terminate a pregnancy, not the act of sex.

Having a baby only effects one of them? Are you serious? Are the feelings of men really this worthless? My mum worked with a guy who ended up killing himself after his wife had a miscarriage. Obviously it doesn't just effect one of them. Ask your father if it would've effected him if your mum had aborted you against his will. FFS this thread is depressing.

Of course it affects men, but somebody's emotional rights don't trump another person's physical rights. Like I can feel angry with you, but because of that I don't have the right to assault you. A man can want to keep a baby, but he doesn't have the right to force a woman to carry that baby for 9 months and then give birth to it. Yeah he might be very upset and sad and so on, and maybe rightly so, but that's not justification for forcing another human being to undergo physical suffering.
You seem incredibly unaware of the existence of abortion. Abortion removes all the ethical ramifications associated with a child's existence.

Reached the rep limit.
Thank you for articulating this better then I ever could.
The contract between a donor to a sperm bank and the recipient of sperm quite clearly assumes this not to be the case, so this is a silly point to make.

So if two partners agreed to the same thing as in the contract, you would agree that it would be as unethical as in the sperm donor case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending