Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVII

Scroll to see replies

Thread is bumped and is here if anyone wants to read/follow! :h:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2911631

Original post by Midnightmemories
It's never too early! :hugs:

Hope you're okay this evening :blush:

Thanks. I'm not too bad! Sorry things have been difficult at college so far :frown:
Original post by Pathway
I'm pretty good at popping things back in, it wasn't fully out I don't think because it went back super easy.
Meds scare me. aha. Thanks dad. I just rely mostly on dissociation.

Glad its back in! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pathway

Spoiler

:laugh: I guess so. Perhaps it happens at certain situations? I know it happens when I'm in a group or backed against a wall :tongue:
Original post by PandaWho
Glad its back in! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's beginning to get a bit annoying though, I never used to dislocate (fully or partially) this much. :s-smilie: Stupid joints.

Original post by Imperion
:laugh: I guess so. Perhaps it happens at certain situations? I know it happens when I'm in a group or backed against a wall :tongue:

I dunno, I'm never really "connected" to my body (which I guess is why I don't feel pain very much?). I suppose it means I'm able to deal with my physical disability better because of the lack of connection. :dontknow:
Yeah, I'm the same. If there's too much going on my brain is like "I'm out of here" aha. Or if people have certain facial expressions/tones of voice, put their hand in my face, walk towards me angrily etc. I know quite a few of my triggers that make things worse. If a person looks like one of my abusers that can set me off too.
Original post by Pathway

I dunno, I'm never really "connected" to my body (which I guess is why I don't feel pain very much?). I suppose it means I'm able to deal with my physical disability better because of the lack of connection. :dontknow:
Yeah, I'm the same. If there's too much going on my brain is like "I'm out of here" aha. Or if people have certain facial expressions/tones of voice, put their hand in my face, walk towards me angrily etc. I know quite a few of my triggers that make things worse. If a person looks like one of my abusers that can set me off too.

Really? Can you control it? xD

Mhmm, I guess it's a defensive mechanism where you probably can't escape the situation physically so you do mentally? :tongue: Actually that sounds more accurate than anything lol When I'm in a group 'I'm' hyper and outgoing, when I'm in an argument 'I'm' rude and condescending :laugh: Might you think there's a way to stop the triggers? I know for sure sometimes dissociating is the best option but sometimes it isn't and stopping it might help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Really? Can you control it? xD

Mhmm, I guess it's a defensive mechanism where you probably can't escape the situation physically so you do mentally? :tongue: Actually that sounds more accurate than anything lol When I'm in a group 'I'm' hyper and outgoing, when I'm in an argument 'I'm' rude and condescending :laugh: Might you think there's a way to stop the triggers? I know for sure sometimes dissociating is the best option but sometimes it isn't and stopping it might help?

Dissociation? Lol, I wish. :gasp: Can you? :s-smilie:

Yeah, definitely an escape thing. Coping mechanism for bull****. haha. My mum says sometimes when my dad and I argue that I have a death wish. But idk how to not explode at him sometimes. Feels out of my control.
Grounding techniques don't really work on me, so not right now. :frown: Hopefully with therapy I might be able to stop dissociation when it's unhelpful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pathway
Dissociation? Lol, I wish. :gasp: Can you? :s-smilie:

Yeah, definitely an escape thing. Coping mechanism for bull****. haha. My mum says sometimes when my dad and I argue that I have a death wish. But idk how to not explode at him sometimes. Feels out of my control.
Grounding techniques don't really work on me, so not right now. :frown: Hopefully with therapy I might be able to stop dissociation when it's unhelpful.

Nope :lol:

Oh.. that bad? Hopefully it all turns out well for you. Hopefully it will, personally it didn't do much and well, the alters know what to do :laugh: Perhaps controlling your emotions? Don't think I'm helping but I know it can happen when I'm happy or angry.

Spoiler

Original post by Pathway
It's beginning to get a bit annoying though, I never used to dislocate (fully or partially) this much. :s-smilie: Stupid joints.

Haha yep! My knees are really bad at the moment and its getting boring! My shoulders seem to have stopped for a while which is nice though!

Have you ever seen anyone about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope :lol:

Oh.. that bad? Hopefully it all turns out well for you. Hopefully it will, personally it didn't do much and well, the alters know what to do :laugh: Perhaps controlling your emotions? Don't think I'm helping but I know it can happen when I'm happy or angry.

Spoiler

My dad's an idiot. Not that authorities gave a **** when I was a minor. The only reason I'm still in this house is because my mum needs me. But I'm moving back to uni tomorrow so. Yay! :woo: Kind of nervous about not being here though, she got diagnosed with cancer a couple of months back, so I won't be here when she's getting the radiotherapy, etc. I worry she won't tell me what's going on. :s-smilie:
It basically happens when anything is too intense for me? Maybe that's the same for you? Lol, maybe your alter wanted to get in on the fun!? :lol:
Original post by PandaWho
Haha yep! My knees are really bad at the moment and its getting boring! My shoulders seem to have stopped for a while which is nice though!Have you ever seen anyone about it?Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, well, back when it first started getting bad (my resit year), but the rheumatologist discharged me back to my GP after he diagnosed me with hypermobility/EDS. So nothing since. This flare up has majorly screwed me over though, so might ask my GP at uni to refer me to someone? :dontknow: They only really seem to prescribe me medication which I can't actually take because of the whole phobia I have with it because of my dad. Sorry to hear you're doing badly joints wise too, it sucks! What have they been doing for you??
Reply 3989
Original post by Sabertooth
No worries!

Do you have any tactics for dealing with the feeling of being watched? It's stressing me out so much as it's constant whatever I do. :/

Hmm, I don't really know what to suggest with your flatmates - I never told mine anything and when I disappeared to hospital for a while I told them that I'd just gone home for a bit. I think some home-sickness is pretty common with moving to uni, I'd say you'll probably adjust in time so try not to worry :console: Are you getting involved in uni life? Like going to lectures but also societies and stuff? Might help you adjust quicker. :smile:

I've got no tactics, I just pathetically wait the fear out. :frown: Bloody horrible like, but I am at a loss too.

I am not surprised over the homesickness, I just want some security. Sigh. Uni life wise, yes, I have joined 3 societies, and this Thursday one of them is doing a Harry Potter Quiz that I will go to but mostly I am just focusing on the work.
Original post by Pathway
My dad's an idiot. Not that authorities gave a **** when I was a minor. The only reason I'm still in this house is because my mum needs me. But I'm moving back to uni tomorrow so. Yay! :woo: Kind of nervous about not being here though, she got diagnosed with cancer a couple of months back, so I won't be here when she's getting the radiotherapy, etc. I worry she won't tell me what's going on. :s-smilie:
It basically happens when anything is too intense for me? Maybe that's the same for you? Lol, maybe your alter wanted to get in on the fun!? :lol:

Aww, that's a bummer :frown: Ah nice, enjoy your time there :biggrin: And I'm sorry to hear that, hope she gets better.

Haha yes! Lol, he shoulda let me have my fun :colonhash:

Spoiler

Aww, that's a bummer :frown: Ah nice, enjoy your time there :biggrin: And I'm sorry to hear that, hope she gets better.

Haha yes! Lol, he shoulda let me have my fun :colonhash:

Spoiler

Thanks. She should be alright, they caught it early.

Lol, you're able to communicate with your alters? That's so cool. How do you do it?
Original post by Pathway

Yeah, well, back when it first started getting bad (my resit year), but the rheumatologist discharged me back to my GP after he diagnosed me with hypermobility/EDS. So nothing since. This flare up has majorly screwed me over though, so might ask my GP at uni to refer me to someone? :dontknow: They only really seem to prescribe me medication which I can't actually take because of the whole phobia I have with it because of my dad. Sorry to hear you're doing badly joints wise too, it sucks! What have they been doing for you??

Iv recently been reffered to orthopaedics (appointment on thursday) might be worth asking about it? Its all good dishing out diagnosis, but if there not going to follow them up, or provide help thats suitable to the patient...

Im only at the beggining of my journey even though i first dislocated my shoulder 6 or 7 years ago, had physio which has done nothing on different joints, just gotta see what orthopaedic person says!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pathway
Thanks. She should be alright, they caught it early.

Lol, you're able to communicate with your alters? That's so cool. How do you do it?

:yep: Through notes xD I'd find a note under my pillow or in my pocket. Sometimes it's just written on word on my laptop xD
I am currently with someone but secretly flirting with someone else whose female , he says it's okay now I am confused. But me and bf argue all the time and I can't be him anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basically, loooads is going on for me right now and I'm also super busy. Now the problem is this: a new person has come into my life, told me their problems, and how I have a huge load of responsibility to take care of her and keep her safe. I've done it before, but right now I just can't. Besides, there's a new thing to tackle here, her 'friend' Milly.

I don't know if she has DID or something of the like, but she has this 'Milly' who can sometimes be nice but other times awful. What makes me suspicious is she seems to be able to switch at will: I'll ask 'Milly' to talk to 'Zenhh' (the person) and she'll just turn up again, although 'Milly' has threatened to try and pretend. You see what I mean? It's all just a bit of a mess and I don't really know what to do about it.
She's finally going to see a therapist thank God, but I don't know if she'll end up saying everything she needs to say despite me strongly encouraging her to do so. I just cannot have this responsibility. I tell her I have to work and so I gotta go, but she'll say she feels bad and needs me there, which makes sense but I simply can't provide right now.
I've reported to Facebook some stuff, but what else can I do?
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, loooads is going on for me right now and I'm also super busy. Now the problem is this: a new person has come into my life, told me their problems, and how I have a huge load of responsibility to take care of her and keep her safe. I've done it before, but right now I just can't. Besides, there's a new thing to tackle here, her 'friend' Milly.

I don't know if she has DID or something of the like, but she has this 'Milly' who can sometimes be nice but other times awful. What makes me suspicious is she seems to be able to switch at will: I'll ask 'Milly' to talk to 'Zenhh' (the person) and she'll just turn up again, although 'Milly' has threatened to try and pretend. You see what I mean? It's all just a bit of a mess and I don't really know what to do about it.
She's finally going to see a therapist thank God, but I don't know if she'll end up saying everything she needs to say despite me strongly encouraging her to do so. I just cannot have this responsibility. I tell her I have to work and so I gotta go, but she'll say she feels bad and needs me there, which makes sense but I simply can't provide right now.
I've reported to Facebook some stuff, but what else can I do?

You have to just stay offline or whatever and say you are at work if you're going through stuff yourself then it's best not to get too involved as she sounds like a particularly difficult 'case'. I'm not trying to be harsh I just think there is a difference between what we do for eachother on here, lending an ear or maybe giving advice on and off when we're able to and someone being fully reliant on you when you yourself aren't well. It won't work, neither of you will progress this way. Now that she's getting therapy I suggest that you slowly back off. How? Just be less available and try not to engage too much. Obviously if she messages saying something pretty alarming then you can talk to her and see if there's anything you can do but otherwise for your own sanity back off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3997
Concentration levels are horrible, only have written 336 words of a 1000 word essay in an hour and half. That is bloody horrible for me, ****. :frown:
Original post by Airmed
Concentration levels are horrible, only have written 336 words of a 1000 word essay in an hour and half. That is bloody horrible for me, ****. :frown:

Uni essays are hard, and the step up can be really difficult. My mentor says aim for around 100 words an hour (that's including reading, referencing and all that). I don't know how realistic that is for you but don't put too much pressure on yourself by trying to compare performance to how you did at GCSE/A level. Uni is new and different and it will take time to get use to it, and essays will take longer.
Original post by Airmed

Don't beat yourself up over it, sometimes things take longer, especially when they're new and you haven't had to write something in the style that you're supposed to be doing it in before. And it's okay... It's okay for you to just admit sometimes you just can't do something today either and do it another day. Don't beat yourself up over it. :hugs:

--

Have a long list of stuff to do, and i honestly have no idea where to start. ****.
Half of it is due tomorrow as well :hide:

Latest