The Student Room Group

Economics, A&F, Business, Management or Marketing?

Hello TSR,

I know I want to do a business-related degree at university.

I'm predicted A*A*AA in my A levels in geography, economics, history and maths (respectively) and also hold an A in AS further maths.

Anyway, I'm going to do a gap year and then apply later this year.

Which of the degrees would be the best to study?

I don't want to go to Oxbridge or a London uni, however I would like to study at a top university.

What's best for career purposes, finding a job and just general employabiliy?

Thanks for your time
Reply 1
Economics at somewhere like Warwick, Durham, York or Exeter
Doesn't really matter so long as you study at a respected university. Depends on what job you want to do at the end of the day as well. For example, if you want to be a chartered accountant they don't care about your degree and will only take notice of your uni, grade and extra-curricular activities. I know of someone with a music degree doing accountancy training in the top 4 firms.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Flather
Economics at somewhere like Warwick, Durham, York or Exeter

Thanks for replying. I'd love to study economics a Warwick however it's incredibly competitive. I'll take a look at Exeter and York :smile:
Reply 4
I thought you already hold offers from LSE and UCL for stats related degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aliman65
Doesn't really matter so long as you study at a respected university. Depends on what job you want to do at the end of the day as well. For example, if you want to be a chartered accountant they don't care about your degree and will only take notice of your uni, grade and extra-curricular activities. I know of someone with a music degree doing accountancy training in the top 4 firms.

By 'top uni' do you just mean Russel Groups, top ten or Oxbridge? I'm not part of the IB cliche however I'd like to go into finance: maybe accountancy or as an analyst.

Thanks for relying so soon by the way :wink:
Original post by iBall
I thought you already hold offers from LSE and UCL for stats related degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do hold offers this year however I have family responsibilities making it impossible for me. financially and personally, to go to a London uni. I turned my offers down.
Original post by jake4198
By 'top uni' do you just mean Russel Groups, top ten or Oxbridge? I'm not part of the IB cliche however I'd like to go into finance: maybe accountancy or as an analyst.

Thanks for relying so soon by the way :wink:

By the top universities I don't just mean Russel group. I go to Bath which isn't in the group and is considered a top ten uni. Pretty much any uni that is in the top 20-30 universities and is respected for the course you want to do is a uni you should consider. Also the degree you do is not that important, so long as it contains the correct skill set the employer is looking for.

My A&F course, for example, is very similar to the economics course for the first year. yet people say economics is harder and more respected? Finance basically is economics so no idea what they are on about.

Once you are in a job, no one really cares what university you went to, what A-levels you got or even what course you did. 90% of what you learn at university you won't ever use again anyway. If you want to go into banking or accountancy, just prove you have good mathematical and analytical skills. This can be shown by any degree including maths, physics, chemistry, engineering, economics, A&F, business and so on. A key indicator is that the course will ask for an A grade in maths if it is any good.
Hello TSR,

I know I want to do a business-related degree at university.

Hi.

Definitely an economics degree at a top uni, especially if you have the interest. FYI economics at uni level is very mathematical.
Reply 9
I do hold offers this year however I have family responsibilities making it impossible for me. financially and personally, to go to a London uni. I turned my offers down.

Right, hope everything works out. If your staying out of London and aren't thinking Oxbridge then try and get Warwick Economics, but study what you would enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending