The Student Room Group

What do people mean when they say racists are uneducated?

People always say that someone is "uneducated" if they're racist or against immigration? Why exactly is this?

To assume that immigration is 100% positive is just as ignorant as those saying it's 100% bad.

I understand that immigration has it's positives, but it also has associated costs. It's not all rosy and perfect. Economic research shows that the poorest in society are effected negatively by immigration whereas those at the top gain the most.

Scroll to see replies

In terms of racism, only an uneducated person could be a racist in today's age. We've learnt from historical events that racism is completely wrong and stupid. We're all equal, and to hate someone today because of the colour of their skin, or judge them by stereotypes is pure ignorance. They're also reluctant to accept that their views are wrong and that they need to change. That's why I personally think racists are uneducated.
Intelligence and having knowledge does not guarantee that we will acknowledge our own biases, or examine our prejudices or the information we choose to accept as 'evidence'. There are surely educated racists, who use all sorts of words to try to make their opinions more palatable (phrenology, anyone?).
It doesnt mean they are uneducated as in not having GCSE's or whatever... it just means they are uneducated in terms of things regarding other races, for example ist racism when people believe some races are inherently inferior etc, that is in fact not true so they are uneducated about the realities of human biology. most of these racists even refute science (LOL) because education doesnt help everyone... some people refuse to be educated!

racism also stems from not being exposed to or having misconceptions or prejudices towards other races, which again is a result of being uneducated about other races/cultures.

Also, do you want to talk about racism or immigration... ? I dont see why immigration needed to be brought into this. I understand anti-immigration people can be racist but its a different issue.
Reply 4
Uneducated isn't the right word. They are irrational not necessarily uneducated
What do people mean when they say anyone's uneducated?
To be against mass immigration isn't racist. But racists in general spout total nonsense.
Reply 7
Original post by Novascope
In terms of racism, only an uneducated person could be a racist in today's age. We've learnt from historical events that racism is completely wrong and stupid. We're all equal, and to hate someone today because of the colour of their skin, or judge them by stereotypes is pure ignorance. They're also reluctant to accept that their views are wrong and that they need to change. That's why I personally think racists are uneducated.

Back in reality, many branches of science have now independently demonstrated that races are biologically real, and that racial differences exist. The actual people who are 'uneducated' are those who stay deliberately ignorant of this, and who keep banging the anti-racist "we are all equal" drum, in spite of the evidence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poohat
Back in reality, many branches of the scientific literature have now demonstrated that races are real, and that racial differences exist. The actual people who are 'uneducated' are those who stay deliberately ignorant of this, and who keep banging the anti-racist "we are all equal" drum, in spite of the evidence.

We are equal as we are all humans and therefore shouldn't be treated any differently just because of skin colour. Now how does believing in that make someone uneducated?

I guess we should all just not be decent to each other because science says we're different. Let's see how the world would turn out that way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by + polarity -
Intelligence and having knowledge does not guarantee that we will acknowledge our own biases, or examine our prejudices or the information we choose to accept as 'evidence'. There are surely educated racists, who use all sorts of words to try to make their opinions more palatable (phrenology, anyone?).

Phrenology was a very primitive science, however there is now evidence from fMRI scans that a) head size does correlate with brain size, and b) both head and brain size both correlate with IQ.

See for example:

http://arthurjensen.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Race-and-Sex-Differences-in-Head-Size-and-IQ-1994-by-Arthur-Robert-Jensen-Fred-W.-Johnson.pdf
http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03210739
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016028960200137X
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016028969900015X
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/neu/21/3/337/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
We are equal as we are all humans and therefore shouldn't be treated any differently just because of skin colour. Now how does believing in that make someone uneducated?

I guess we should all just not be decent to each other because science says we're different. Let's see how the world would turn out that way.

The point is that race isn't just about "skin colour". If that was the only difference between races, then of course racism would be stupid. However if racial differences also include things such as (e.g.) intelligence and propensity to violence, suddenly things aren't so simple

Skin color is a proxy for geographical origin (and a very good one; self-identified race [largely based on skin color] predicts geographical ancestry very well). Human populations which were separate for hundreds of thousands of years have many differences, of which skin color is just one. To take a trivial example, here are some photos of black albinos. They have white skin, but do they look even remotely white to you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poohat
The point is that race isn't just about "skin colour". If that was the only difference between races, then of course racism would be stupid. However if racial differences also include things such as intelligence and propensity to violence, suddenly things aren't so simple

For some racists it is. Some have just grown up around racist people, and therefore all they know is to hate certain people for no reason. Also, going by your last bit that's still no reason for someone to be racist. Plus, not everyone in one race is the same when it comes to your examples such as intelligence and propensity to violence...
You're confusing wanting controlled immigration like every other country in the world with racism.
Reply 13
For some racists it is. Some have just grown up around racist people, and therefore all they know is to hate certain people for no reason. Also, going by your last bit that's still no reason for someone to be racist. Plus, not everyone in one race is the same when it comes to your examples such as intelligence and propensity to violence...

I think you are confusing 'racism' and 'discrimination'. Yes, even if racial differences exist, you could argue that would be no reason to discriminate against individual people. But "racism" doesn't mean "discrimination" - it just means believing that races are different. You can be racist and not discriminate against people, for example.

Believing that (e.g.) Asian people are more intelligent on average than Europeans would technically make you a racist, even if you didnt discriminate against (or in favor) of individual Europeans.
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally to me there's a difference between Racism and Immigration.

Against Immigration is when you don't really want people from outside your border.

Racism is when you think the border stops at Africa/ Saudi Arabia.

interesting! (as is what I have read about Arthur Jensen hehe)

really wish I still had institutional access :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by + polarity -
interesting! (as is what I have read about Arthur Jensen hehe)

really wish I still had institutional access :frown:

Main thing to note about Jensen is that he was pretty much uniformly respected by the psychology community - one of the most highly cited psychologists of the 20th century, known for a range of methodological contributions, prominent presence in many professional bodies, editorial boards, etc. Pretty much all the hate for him comes from non-psychologist non-scientist humanities types, who disliked him because they found the results of his research uncomfortable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
It's a stereotype....but incidents like this don't help.

[video="youtube;aYd9qbRz2fc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYd9qbRz2fc[/video]
This is an interesting question but it's pointless having a debate about it until the actual definition of racism is defined. Otherwise, all people do is argue from their own particular definition of the word, and so debate becomes pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending