The Student Room Group

Sequences and Series "homemade" exam paper (My first mock exam paper)

Okay so because I was inspired by TeeEm, I decided to make up my own papers for A-Level students. This is the first one, it's still in the making, but I want to hear your opinions.
Please keep in mind that this IS the first paper I ever make, I am not claiming it is perfect or of a quality that even compares to TeeEm's.
Also the questions are intended to be different from the normal A-level exam questions, however not much more difficult.
I also haven't decided on the distribution of the marks, I was thinking 40% for Section A and 60% for Section B.

Edit: lol please ignore the name of the file
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gagafacea1
Okay so because I was inspired by TeeEm, I decided to make up my own papers for A-Level students. This is the first one, it's still in the making, but I want to hear your opinions.
Please keep in mind that this IS the first paper I ever make, I am not claiming it is perfect or of a quality that even compares to TeeEm's.
Also the questions are intended to be different from the normal A-level exam questions, however not much more difficult.
I also haven't decided on the distribution of the marks, I was thinking 40% for Section A and 60% for Section B.

I always encourage projects like these amongst my students as it helps better understanding. I also want to say that it takes twice as much mathematical skill to make a questions than to solve them.

PS I am on holiday in Greece at the moment and am still doing Maths ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
I always encourage projects like these amongst my students as it helps better understanding. I also want to say that if it takes twice as much mathematical skill to make a questions than to solve it.
PS I am on holiday in Greece at the moment and am still doing Maths ...

Not that much of a difference here, I'm using the holiday to read a maths book without the burden of the A-levels on my shoulders. Hoping I get to more half of it before october *crosses fingers*.

Imo bit too many just regurgitating textbook proofs... but good job on making it look like a professional pdf. I'll need to learn how you did that ;p
also with II what kind of question is that. Asking that is like asking 'Prove a + b = b + a'...

I would consider this as more of a homework assignment rather than an exam paper, as many of the questions are checking that your students know the proofs that they should.

A couple of details: "sigma" not "simga"
I would say "went up 1 level" rather than "leveled up by one".
Original post by Scarlet Sword
Imo bit too many just regurgitating textbook proofs... but good job on making it look like a professional pdf. I'll need to learn how you did that ;p
also with II what kind of question is that. Asking that is like asking 'Prove a + b = b + a'...

It ain't easy. I did it with LaTeX. But I do like it wayyy more than word processors. Example:
Capture d’écran 2015-07-05 à 20.41.19.png

About question II, in my defense, not many C1/C2 students know this. This paper was aimed at them. Plus if you actually know all of this, Section A shouldn't take more than 20 min to do; it's like a "Previously we learned that....". This is so that the paper is more self sufficient. But here you, I'll see what I can do on the next paper. Maybe I'll keep it in the same style but the proofs will be harder and not seen before.
(edited 8 years ago)
It ain't easy. I did it with LaTeX. But I do like it wayyy more than word processors. Example:
Capture d’écran 2015-07-05 à 20.41.19.png
About question II, in my defense, not many C1/C2 students know this. This paper was aimed at them. Plus if you actually know all of this, Section A shouldn't take more than 20 min to do; it's like a "Previously we learned that....". This is so that the paper is more self sufficient. But here you, I'll see what I can do on the next paper. Maybe I'll keep it in the same style but the proofs will be harder and not seen before.

What program are you using for this? I tried to get a LaTeX text editor a while ago but I couldn't find anything good?
Original post by tiny hobbit
I would consider this as more of a homework assignment rather than an exam paper, as many of the questions are checking that your students know the proofs that they should.
A couple of details: "sigma" not "simga"
I would say "went up 1 level" rather than "leveled up by one".

Thanks, I'll be sure to change that.

Also it did start as a homework thing, but then turned into an exam thing. I'll be sure to decide which one I'm going to do for the rest before the next paper.
Original post by Plagioclase
What program are you using for this? I tried to get a LaTeX text editor a while ago but I couldn't find anything good?

But there are SOOO MANY? Weird... Well I'm on a mac, so I'm using MacTeX. For Windows I heard that most people use MiKTeX, though might be wrong. This is of course only the collection of packages and whatever else you need for compiling your documents.
You'll need the editors to write your code and do (or start?) the compiling. You will have some editors installed with MiKTeX or MacTeX, however I'm using texmaker, which is found online, but doesn't come with either packages. Texmaker is more user friendly and for beginners; tho I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Oh and you can also do all of that online without any installation, a website you can use is ShareLaTeX, but I think you can find more.
But there are SOOO MANY? Weird... Well I'm on a mac, so I'm using MacTeX. For Windows I heard that most people use MiKTeX, though might be wrong. This is of course only the collection of packages and whatever else you need for compiling your documents.
You'll need the editors to write your code and do (or start?) the compiling. You will have some editors installed with MiKTeX or MacTeX, however I'm using texmaker, which is found online, but doesn't come with either packages. Texmaker is more user friendly and for beginners; tho I'm sure there are better ones out there.
Oh and you can also do all of that online without any installation, a website you can use is ShareLaTeX, but I think you can find more.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest