The Student Room Group

Ask me anything (a student w all 9s)

This time last year, I would often find myself looking through TSR trying to find advice on choosing my A-Level subjects, the GCSE success stories of students before me (manifestation lol) and ,ultimately, what sixth form to go to. I'm hoping that this thread can help students who are probably in the same situation I was in last year.

The GCSEs I did were:
bio, chem, physics,pe,geo - AQA
eng lit, eng lang, maths, french - Edexcel
computer science - OCR

Currently I'm doing bio, chem, maths and philosophy at A-Level and I'm aiming to do medicine at a uni in London!
i’m taking ocr computer science! how did you find the course, was it quite hard? how did you revise?
also all 9s is amazing, well done..
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
i’m taking ocr computer science! how did you find the course, was it quite hard? how did you revise?
also all 9s is amazing, well done..

Hey, I really enjoyed the paper 2 content and just did practice qs from the cgp ocr workbook. I found 1.3 networks the hardest so int he lead up to the real exams I jst made flashcard sand tested myself a lottt.

But the exams were definitely something else, however I ended up getting the highest score on computing (prob cos they made the ms really lenient lol).

Feel free to DM me if there’s anything I can help you out w in particular.
Original post by anonymous.2003
This time last year, I would often find myself looking through TSR trying to find advice on choosing my A-Level subjects, the GCSE success stories of students before me (manifestation lol) and ,ultimately, what sixth form to go to. I'm hoping that this thread can help students who are probably in the same situation I was in last year.

The GCSEs I did were:
computer science - OCR

Currently I'm doing bio, chem, maths and philosophy at A-Level and I'm aiming to do medicine at a uni in London!

Helloo, if you don’t mind me asking what exam boards do you do for bio and chem rn
Original post by student6326
Helloo, if you don’t mind me asking what exam boards do you do for bio and chem rn

aqa for bio and edexcel for chem wbu

aqa for bio and edexcel for chem wbu

ocr a for both
How do you ensure you have a good work/life balance? I know a lot of high-performing students struggle with this sometimes!
Reply 7

The GCSEs I did were:
computer science - OCR

hi, congrats on your great results and i have a few questions i’d really appreciate if you’d answer! :smile:
my mocks begin on 29th january and for the sciences we are doing all edexcel paper 2, but my teacher has not taught us a single paper 2 topic yet. i’m currently watching videos, making notes and using that to make flashcards but it’s a very long process as you can imagine and i know i won’t finish in time. i’m a grade 8/9 student doing triple but i’m really worried bc idk any of the content. any advice on how to revise fast but effectively??

for english i’m also doing aqa paper 2 lang and lit and have no idea how to to revise. my lit is power and conflict poetry and an inspector calls.
Original post by HK78
hi, congrats on your great results and i have a few questions i’d really appreciate if you’d answer! :smile:
my mocks begin on 29th january and for the sciences we are doing all edexcel paper 2, but my teacher has not taught us a single paper 2 topic yet. i’m currently watching videos, making notes and using that to make flashcards but it’s a very long process as you can imagine and i know i won’t finish in time. i’m a grade 8/9 student doing triple but i’m really worried bc idk any of the content. any advice on how to revise fast but effectively??

for english i’m also doing aqa paper 2 lang and lit and have no idea how to to revise. my lit is power and conflict poetry and an inspector calls.

Hey. I don't think you should spend ur time making notes + flashcards unless youve finished it all. Have a look on pmt and use their notes + flashcards and spend more time memorizing the content instead of making resources. U can always make them after u get feedback on ur mocks and then yk what topics to spend more time on. Also do the exam qs on pmt and mark them and memorise the answers for the ones u get wrong. Cos even for my real gcses there were like 5 repeated qs from past papers

im so sorry i dont have loads of advice for eng but plan essays I can send u some example qs if u want and then try typing out what quotes you'duse for each point in ur answer from memory so ur testing if u know enough quotes and stuff
also do it under time conditions so ur more prepped for ur mocks

I hope this has helped and feel free to ask me anything else
Original post by HK78

Hi - I am a current Y11 student
Sorry about your science situation, that’s really bad luck.

In regards to English I find it really useful to learn quotes. About 3 for each poem and a varying number for characters in the texts as it helps with my analysis and I find I can base my essay structure of the quotes. Additionally I learn a small amount of context. This can all be done using flashcards.

If you struggle with structures of essays, I find it best to alternate paragraphs between the extract (whether a poem or section of a text) and another poem or area of the text. This will result for me in 6 paragraphs or 3 huge page size paragraphs. I will add context into each of the paragraphs.

This works for me so I hope it works for you two.
Reply 10
Original post by HK78

Hey. I don't think you should spend ur time making notes + flashcards unless youve finished it all. Have a look on pmt and use their notes + flashcards and spend more time memorizing the content instead of making resources. U can always make them after u get feedback on ur mocks and then yk what topics to spend more time on. Also do the exam qs on pmt and mark them and memorise the answers for the ones u get wrong. Cos even for my real gcses there were like 5 repeated qs from past papers

im so sorry i dont have loads of advice for eng but plan essays I can send u some example qs if u want and then try typing out what quotes you'duse for each point in ur answer from memory so ur testing if u know enough quotes and stuff
also do it under time conditions so ur more prepped for ur mocks

I hope this has helped and feel free to ask me anything else

thank you so much honestly this really helped :smile: gonna continue science revision today but as opposed to how i was doing it before i think ill refrain from note taking and try learn to content through videos and quizzes then test myself using the pmt flashcards and questions like you suggested.

and thank you so much that’d be a great help for english as well, really appreciate it
Reply 11
Original post by FrenchFencer
Original post by HK78

In regards to English I find it really useful to learn quotes. About 3 for each poem and a varying number for characters in the texts as it helps with my analysis and I find I can base my essay structure of the quotes. Additionally I learn a small amount of context. This can all be done using flashcards.

If you struggle with structures of essays, I find it best to alternate paragraphs between the extract (whether a poem or section of a text) and another poem or area of the text. This will result for me in 6 paragraphs or 3 huge page size paragraphs. I will add context into each of the paragraphs.

Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated :smile:
i have no idea what to do for english so this has set out a good baseline for my revision, gonna gather 3 quotes per poem and a few for each character from An Inspector Calls and focus on breaking them down and analysing them to use ready in the exam.
Paired with a bit of context as you said, this should be great as my essay writing in general is quite good.
Reply 12
Original post by HK78

The entire alternating idea is a good one, because you can also show how some themes are persistent throughout poems, showing how they permeate throughout either different passages of text or in a different part of the same.
Reply 13
Original post by IRHH09
Original post by HK78

The entire alternating idea is a good one, because you can also show how some themes are persistent throughout poems, showing how they permeate throughout either different passages of text or in a different part of the same.

thank youuu!
What country do you plan to emigrate to once you finish you medicine degree?
Reply 15
To be entirely honest, it is more reasonable to think of any career paths that lie within the country of study, for elements such as foreign languages play a part as well. We cannot always think about it in the sense that, due to wages for the pharmaceutical industry being higher in a said country, I study medicine so I should move there. Such a statement can be said, but we often fail to take into account other factors that may negate any positive outcomes of emigration.
Do you recommend making flash cards for any subjects
Reply 17
Original post by student07tc
Do you recommend making flash cards for any subjects

In my case, I prefer to read from textbooks and then practice exam questions, I in fact never use flashcards. However, in your case, for I do not know what subject or age you are, I will issue some general advice. First and foremost, aim to keep them as simple as possible, this allows for efficiency in revision, spending a horrible amount of time 'touching them up' will only slow you down. Allow for key information such as definitions and dates wherever necessary as this will promote your absorbance of such knowledge. I suggest incorporating thought provoking or exam style questions on one side, an answer on the other. I am welcoming any questions or DM's on matters as such.

Quick Reply

Latest