The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why can't we ban halal meat

Thanks to people who pointed this out, a ban is to far we should have meet labelled. Also it's not just halal it's any type of slaughter of an animal that causes it suffering.

This is not an anti Muslim rant or any other rubbish people like to throw out there. I found out that my local cafe meat is all halal it's not labelled and you wouldn't know if you didn't ask. the guy said it's easier to please everybody it it is halal.

But it's not pleasing everybody I refuse to touch halal meat ever. Why is halal not something you have to specifically ask for , why is everybody just expected to eat meat that stems from animal abuse ?should it not be clearly labelled?

The you eat meat so your a bad person comments are not anythig to do with this discussion.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because most people don't care where out comes from as long as it's wrapped in plastic
Reply 2
Original post by SillyMilly
This is not an anti Muslim rant or any other rubbish people like to throw out there. I found out that my local cafe meat is all halal it's not labelled and you wouldn't know if you didn't ask. the guy said it's easier to please everybody it it is halal.

But it's not pleasing everybody I refuse to touch halal meat ever. Why is halal not something you have to specifically ask for , why is everybody just expected to eat meat that stems from animal abuse ?should it not be clearly labelled?

The ignorance is real
Reply 3
If you loved animals so much you wouldn't eat them in the first place. Stop being a hypocrite.
Original post by rkhan57
If you loved animals so much you wouldn't eat them in the first place. Stop being a hypocrite.

I did eat meat as I have many health problems I was vegitarian for 8 years and ended up seriously unwell. I know how the animals I eat are slaughtered the childish argument of jusy don't eat meat is boring
(edited 8 years ago)

Do the muslims who visit the cafe know it's halal? Because muslims always check this stuff before they go eat meat somewhere, so if all the muslims know it's halal which the cafe owner no doubt wants them to know to get more customers, then the non-muslim customers similarly should be able to find out

Some places do label that their food is halal, they stick a symbol in arabic, underneath it says halal in english, while it's primarily for the muslims because the default choice of meat in britain is non-halal, they use this to help muslims find halal meat, but it also acts as an indication to non-muslims
so your local cafe owner is just a bit ignorant if he hasn't put that sign up anywhere which acts as a label really
Original post by saeed97
The ignorance is real

Oh it's not ignorance I know exactly what I am
Talking about/
There's nothing wrong with halal meat. It's just meat from an animal that was killed in a single swipe with a knife that was normally stunned beforehand that probably doesn't even feel any pain.

It's just meat :s-smilie:
Banning is a bit extreme don't you think? Eateries could just offer halal and non halal options of the same food, or just specify which meats are halal and which are not.
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Banning is a bit extreme don't you think? Eateries could just offer halal and non halal options of the same food, or just specify which meats are halal and which are not.

Yes probably banning is over the top but given the choice. That's more what I meant. You should have a choose if you eat it or not
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
There's nothing wrong with halal meat. It's just meat from an animal that was killed in a single swipe with a knife that was normally stunned beforehand that probably doesn't even feel any pain.

No they don't stun it's not legal to stun animals if it is being bled out. I'm
A farmer and so therefore know the laws on slaughter houses, they are not killed the die from bleeding out and being hung up . Most are hung up before their throats are cut
Reply 11
Original post by saeed97
The ignorance is real

I agree. op halal is a methodology supposed to reduce the suffering of animals during slaughter.
Y'know, halal meat is just any other meat that doesn't have pork in it. So, 90% of the time, halal just means chicken. If you don't wanna touch it, it just implies you don't eat meat that's not pork.

Sure they have a different way of slaughtering an animal, but that's just as well saying, I won't buy an Xbox that's been made in China because the packaging said so, when, for all you know, all Xboxes come from China. Meat is meat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Furios
I agree. op halal is a methodology supposed to reduce the suffering of animals during slaughter.

It doesn't as I said I'm a farmer. Letting any animal slowly bleed to death is cruel.
Why is halal not something you have to specifically ask for , why is everybody just expected to eat meat that stems from animal abuse ?

Because it doesn't stem from animal abuse. You can't make the blanket statement "all halal meat is animal cruelty" just because some slaughterhouses have been found to be abusing the regulations. The vast majority of animals killed by halal methods in the UK are stunned before slaughter.
It doesn't as I said I'm a farmer. Letting any animal slowly bleed to death is cruel.

Except the vast majority of those animals are stunned so aren't even conscious.
Halal meat : "Animals killed incorrectly and/or without Allah's name being pronounced before slaughtered"

It doesn't matter how the animal is butchered you already KILLED IT this is the worst thing that can happen to any organism. It doesn't make animals happy that they are killed in a humane way or allah's name being pronounced, animals have no concept of religion the whole thing is made to satisfy and make living people not feel guilty, especially muslims.

If you respect animals then stop eating meat. If you eat meat then just eat, forget the halal concepts, they don't make a difference to animals.
I assume those stating its not cruel have been to a knackermen and watched the animals being slaughtered ?
Reply 17

I don't know what to say, we should turn veg for the poor chickens and animals :s
oh , silly milly dont be silly.................
Original post by Plagioclase
Because it doesn't stem from animal abuse. You can't make the blanket statement "all halal meat is animal cruelty" just because some slaughterhouses have been found to be abusing the regulations. The vast majority of animals killed by halal methods in the UK are stunned before slaughter.

Except the vast majority of those animals are stunned so aren't even conscious.

They arnt though last year the annual farming report realeased statistics that 95% of halal slaughter houses do not stun. There is a big
Movement in the agricultural community to stop any animals going to these places.

Latest

Trending

Trending