The Student Room Group

This is what Feminism has done to our culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippity.doodah

this image is based on the american law case which took place late last year:
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a33751/occidental-justice-case/

so basically, to sum up the story in a nifty little sentence: guy and girl have sex; guy and girl are both drunk; girl texts her friend "I'm about to have sex" and texts the guy "did you bring a condom?"; because she was drunk, the guy, whom was also drunk, gets charged with sexual assault regardless of the evidence of her consent.

feminism is usually (attemptedly) described as the concept of equality between men and women, but the movement that "feminism" has been pedalling recently (especially in my own university) is the 'if she's drunk she can't consent' nonsense, or rather, the "yes mean yes"/"no means no" and "never okay (referring to perceived sexual harassment" phrases (images below for more detail):

Spoiler

it is clear that, in some ways, feminism and it's influence in the legal system (in the UK; perfect proof with the the new DPP directive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11375667/Men-must-prove-a-woman-said-Yes-under-tough-new-rape-rules.html) has caused men to perpetually be blamed or punished for acts which are not even illegitimate (if it is perfectly clear that there was implied consent to a perfectly legal act, sex) in a matter which makes the claim of "patriarchy" nonsensical. it has basically led to a rather dominant belief that women are never to be held responsible for their own actions, or if they get drunk and regret what they have done, this calls for the man to be shamed for this. where is the equality here? why don't women have to prove that men "absolutely and unambiguously vocally affirmed~" to sex (consented) (california's new consent law is an example of this: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/09/29/352482932/california-enacts-yes-means-yes-law-defining-sexual-consent) while men do for women's? why aren't women charged for having sex with drunk men? why are men demonised for doing the same acts as women? why are we supposed to believe that alcohol, a mind altering substance which a person voluntarily consumes, causes their actions to be non-voluntary for women when, if they were to commit a crime (e.g. offences against the person, a property offence, etc) they *would* be held responsible despite any influence of alcohol? the modern feminist movement is leading to obvious contradictions such as this and rules which discriminate unfairly and harshly against men for no reason at all other than the fact that feminists have created this movement which has put pressure on those in authority to be misandristic to men, unless "it's rape", or "that's sexist against women". it's caused radical feminism to be the face of "equality" to many governments in the west and this is obviously ridiculous when it comes to issues like this where there is an actively discriminating law against one gender and not the other

doesn't anybody else at least partly agree with what I'm saying? isn't this "rape culture" propaganda all just a movement to lump women's sexual or cultural responsibilities upon men, and to never frame women, regarding sex, as the ones with any individual responsibility? yes, I know rape culture isn't just about this and also about things like cat calling, before anybody mentions this fact - with the cat calling stuff you could say that a woman wearing a revealing top doesn't give her a reasonable right to act aggressively to men who "look" at her when we have a free society where sexuality exists

Which is why I'm moving to Saudi Arabia - hey, I may get my neck slit, but at least they have women who know their place.
Oh please some idiotic poster with failed logic has nothing to do with what the rest of feminists think. Is the Westboro Baptist Church indicative of what most Christians believe?

It never fails to amaze me how many insecure little boys fear for their baby peens on here.

Try again.
Original post by Cadherin
Which is why I'm moving to Saudi Arabia - hey, I may get my neck slit, but at least they have women who know their place.

woah woah woah! saudi arabia is terrible and absolutely abominable - a completely unfair and sexist dictatorship towards women via law. I am completely against that. I simply want a legally-equal position between men and women in society. I'd never be in favour of an islamic autocracy more than the western world
woah woah woah! saudi arabia is terrible and absolutely abominable - a completely unfair and sexist dictatorship towards women via law. I am completely against that. I simply want a legally-equal position between men and women in society. I'd never be in favour of an islamic autocracy more than the western world

Then you are a feminist. xo

I was being satirical, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I agree with you to an extent on the first post, but you must also consider physical differences between men and women. How can a woman "rape" a man?

I also believe that neither party should be culpable through being drunk - it is the individual's choice to get plastered and be promiscuous and they should deal with the consequences.
Original post by driftawaay
Oh please some idiotic poster with failed logic has nothing to do with what the rest of feminists think. Is the Westboro Baptist Church indicative of what most Christians believe?

no. the westboro baptist church is a vast minority of christians in the west. third wave/radical feminists are undoubtedly the majority of people who call themselves "feminists" today. 80%+ believe in equality between the sexes in the west yet do not call themselves "feminists" - that's because there has been a shift in the cultural meaning of the word feminism, just like there's been a cultural shift in language of the word "liberal" - the fact that you ignore this is astonishing. find me ONE, just one, feminist today who is well known, popular amongst "feminists", and calls herself a "feminist", who does NOT believe in these misandristic ideals of matriarchal horse**** and, respects male rights equally to women's. go on. if you're so sure.

It never fails to amaze me how many insecure little boys fear for their baby peens on here.

...did you just make a male infant circumcision/MGM joke? :| how the **** are you not trying to be misandristic here?! how are you *not* being the thing you're saying is so wrong?! it never fails to amaze *me* how some people can be total and utter hypocrites
Reply 86
This is just ridiculous T_T

No, he is a gender egalitarian by having such a view.
Original post by Cadherin
I was being satirical, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I agree with you to an extent on the first post, but you must also consider physical differences between men and women. How can a woman "rape" a man?

1) by having consensual sex at first and then the man omitting consent, but the woman doesn't let him stop
2) drugs
3) intimidation, and having to sustain an erection via thinking about something/someone else
4) statutory rape of minors

I also believe that neither party should be culpable through being drunk - it is the individual's choice to get plastered and be promiscuous and they should deal with the consequences.

me too, I agree

"feminist" in 2015 = the new radical feminist paradigm of "patriarchy", "objectification" and "rape culture" and the theories of the new feminists e.g. greer, millet, firestone, atkinson, wolfe, etc
"feminist" in 1915 = the old feminist paradigm of legal equality, individualism and liberty of all sexes, and the theories of the old feminists, e.g. wollstonecraft, cady, JS mill, etc

nobody is a "feminist" in a modern day context by believing simply in equality. you are disastrously incorrect here. radical feminism isn't about equality, it's about advancing women's rights in a manner which is often detrimental to men's own rights, or to their neglect, for no reason. it is in favour of women's equality of outcome, not equality of legal status/meritocracy. it's like saying "if you believe in equality for everybody in society, you're a communist"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elle.m
This is just ridiculous T_T

I know, feminism has become a disgrace
(edited 8 years ago)
It's almost as though feminism has become a part of culture....
Reply 92
It fundamentally seems like that if you're a guy, you can be ****ed over for any reason at any time by a woman.

I looked at a website of people falsely accused and some of the ludicrous stories where guys had been punished and their lives (and families) destroyed by women they'd never even spoken to.

I guess this is what equality means. I hope Men stop putting up with this nonsense. But women seem to instinctively side with women and about a third of men seem to instinctively side with women, so I don't think it's democratically possible to have anything other than the kind of mob rule which western law has devolved into.

Emigration sounds like a nice idea. Where to? Or MGTOW.
Reply 93
"feminist" in 2015 = the new radical feminist paradigm of "patriarchy", "objectification" and "rape culture" and the theories of the new feminists e.g. greer, millet, firestone, atkinson, wolfe, etc
"feminist" in 1915 = the old feminist paradigm of legal equality, individualism and liberty of all sexes, and the theories of the old feminists, e.g. wollstonecraft, cady, JS mill, etc

nobody is a "feminist" in a modern day context by believing simply in equality. you are disastrously incorrect here. radical feminism isn't about equality, it's about advancing women's rights in a manner which is often detrimental to men's own rights, or to their neglect, for no reason. it is in favour of women's equality of outcome, not equality of legal status/meritocracy. it's like saying "if you believe in equality for everybody in society, you're a communist"

Even back then, it was never about equality. Feminists were cheering for men to go and get killed in world war 1, never about sending women to fight. Now they concede that position but look for superiority in toher ways.
Original post by 41b
Even back then, it was never about equality. Feminists were cheering for men to go and get killed in world war 1, never about sending women to fight. Now they concede that position but look for superiority in toher ways.

classical feminists (or any kind of feminists) have never been able to get rid of the cultural aspect of male disposability to their discredit. although, standing back, I suppose women back in those days, and even still, couldn't fight in front line combat even if they wanted to
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 95
classical feminists (or any kind of feminists) have never been able to get rid of the cultural aspect of male disposability somewhat to their discredit. although, standing back, I suppose women back in those days, and even still, couldn't fight in front line combat even if they wanted to

so then most women and most men aren't equal, don't have equal responsibilities and hence do not deserve equal privileges in return (which is what rights actually are).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 41b
so then women and men aren't equal, don't have equal responsibilities and hence do not deserve equal privileges in return (which is what rights actually are).

well that's not completely the case here. I don't think legal equality demands cultural equality as a pre-requisite - if that was the case, then there would probably never be cultural equality if legal superiority gave men the perpetual leg-up. if we *want* there to be cultural equality without having a dictatorship enforcing it, then legal equality is the best apparatus to ensuring its likelihood in the future. however, I agree with the message you are expressing that rights come with responsibilities - that's nothing to do with culture though, or at least doesn't require culture to back up. for example, I don't think anybody can *seriously* say that women can get drunk and then claim rape after drunkenly-consensual sex, because that would suggest restricting women the right to drink, and nobody suggests *that*. although, in some cases, it *is* just a herd of bleating feminist self-victimising morons trying to have it both ways/hve their cake and eat it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by 41b

On top of that, millions of men didn't have the right to vote since it was connected to property rights, not gender. Did they ask for voting rights for those men as well? Ofc not.
Reply 98
well that's not completely the case here. I don't think legal equality demands cultural equality as a pre-requisite - if that was the case, then there would probably never be cultural equality if legal superiority gave men the perpetual leg-up. if we *want* there to be cultural equality without having a dictatorship enforcing it, then legal equality is the best apparatus to ensuring its likelihood in the future. however, I agree with the message you are expressing that rights come with responsibilities - that's nothing to do with culture though, or at least doesn't require culture to back up. for example, I don't think anybody can *seriously* say that women can get drunk and then claim rape after drunkenly-consensual sex, because that would suggest restricting women the right to drink, and nobody suggests *that*. although, in some cases, it *is* just a herd of bleating feminist self-victimising morons trying to have it both ways/hve their cake and eat it

i think you mentioned saudi arabia. that is an example of a very masculine culture.

there, women have no responsibilities. at all. they do not have to feed their children if their father becomes unemployed. consequently, they do not have most privileges.

men, on the other hand, have total responsibility. they are reponsible for their wive's behaviour and if they fail to provide for them they are criminally liable. if the wife causes problems, it's the husband's responsibility. however, women can still divorce them (the rate is 40% iirc) but they can't take half their stuff.

for all the country's flaws, and we disagree with the balance they have struck, but at least there no cake and eating it too going on. i don't know about saudi arabia, but men who rape women are simply killed in iran (80 or 90% of honour killings are men). i can't imagine it's much dissimilar in saudi arabia. this again seems to be a reasonable compromise - women aren't held liable for sexual misconduct or expected to defend themselves, but consequently do not enjoy the privilege of sexual freedom. is it a better system? probably not in some ways. death for unmarried sex is ridiculous. but it is reasonable, even if it is not fair.
(edited 8 years ago)
i think you mentioned saudi arabia. that is an example of a very masculine culture.

there, women have no responsibilities. at all. they do not have to feed their children if their father becomes unemployed. consequently, they do not have most privileges.

yeah but then that becomes a culture that is enforced by law in some ways if they match their legal code with the culture of the day. they'll never reasonably see a cultural shift towards equality with a system which wants to force the culture to never change.

men, on the other hand, have total responsibility. they are reponsible for their wive's behaviour and if they fail to provide for them they are criminally liable. if the wife causes problems, it's the husband's responsibility. however, women can still divorce them (the rate is 40% iirc) but they can't take half their stuff.

I personally see marriage today as something which hasn't changed with the times - marriage law should totally eliminate the "halving" principle, and alimony especially. you hear, often, about women getting a huge load of a rich man's property (rarely ever is it the other way around with women) simply because the law is made so that one person in the marriage doesn't leave with significantly less money (even though they were never really ever morally entitled to money). also, I didn't realise women were allowed to divorce their husbands in saudi arabia. that's news to me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending