The Student Room Group

why do poor people envy the rich?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harry734
Theres being right wing and then theres blatant stupidity, why would you not take into account how things effect people, the ultimate goal is to essentially maximise social welfare, when you get down to it... why do we want a strong economy if we don't care about people at all?

Nope, it certainly won't, we can discuss how best to save money so that you'll have a good retirement lol but thats not what being rich is, thats struggling to maximise you're situation.

My ultimate goal is to have a happy family and financial security. Went through a financial slump and that affected how I go about things and security means a lot. I'm not stupid, I'm conceited and blinded by my goal. Sure, I want a strong economy because IT IS interrelated with my goal, majority of people aren't.

I'm not saying that :facepalm: I'm telling you saving money to leverage higher income. More income the high you invest and the higher you climb the socioeconomic ladder.
hahahaha those are all about luck. You will also work ridiculous hours, and be miserable, only few become multi millionaires, most fail. You will also have no friends or a relationship that isn't based on superficial things, i know plenty of reasonably successful investment bankers from my sisters uni friends, and they are the most depressed and overall unhappy people who feel like they have wasted their life. you seem to have confused luck and hard work, no matter how well you know a market, you can't accurately predict the future, so the ones in bold aren't going to take you from poor to rich without a lot of luck, like i said previously, and if you're born poor, breaking into these places is next to impossible unless you go to oxbridge.

There you go again. Get informed, dude. Those aren't about luck. Work hard for the grades, ECs and network. So please, open your eyes!
hahahaha those are all about luck. You will also work ridiculous hours, and be miserable, only few become multi millionaires, most fail. You will also have no friends or a relationship that isn't based on superficial things, i know plenty of reasonably successful investment bankers from my sisters uni friends, and they are the most depressed and overall unhappy people who feel like they have wasted their life. you seem to have confused luck and hard work, no matter how well you know a market, you can't accurately predict the future, so the ones in bold aren't going to take you from poor to rich without a lot of luck, like i said previously, and if you're born poor, breaking into these places is next to impossible unless you go to oxbridge.

Lool. I've been trading the markets for almost a year now. I started a year ago and have made good profit. Confused luck? Firstly, investment bankers are directly recruited from LSE, UCL and Warwick not oxbridge. Secondly, investment banking is just a platform for greater things. Thirdly, you'll find that is possible to predict the market long term. Heck, I've even made profit from scalping short term despite the strong unpredictability of the market. You'll find there are many methods to predict long term trends such as Fibonacci retracement. With the software, money management and discipline it is easily possible to be a successful trader. I'm not even 17 yet, but am soon to be the main bread winner of the family. I know for a fact that any forex firm will recruit me with my track record, grades and work experience.
Original post by Willdono
Lool. I've been trading the markets for almost a year now. I started a year ago and have made good profit. Confused luck? Firstly, investment bankers are directly recruited from LSE, UCL and Warwick not oxbridge. Secondly, investment banking is just a platform for greater things. Thirdly, you'll find that is possible to predict the market long term. Heck, I've even made profit from scalping short term despite the strong unpredictability of the market. You'll find there are many methods to predict long term trends such as Fibonacci retracement. With the software, money management and discipline it is easily possible to be a successful trader. I'm not even 17 yet, but am soon to be the main bread winner of the family. I know for a fact that any forex firm will recruit me with my track record, grades and work experience.

In essence, yes.

Predictions about a financial market are all involved with luck to a certain extent.

You even said it yourself, these are predictions, not an absolute.

As you are trying to predict an outcome, for personal financial gain, there is (no matter how small) an element of risk.

You're not studying the outcome, but you are hoping for a specific one. This is a form of luck...
Original post by Imperion
There you go again. Get informed, dude. Those aren't about luck. Work hard for the grades, ECs and network. So please, open your eyes!
the main point was that to be successful in the job you need luck, but getting them is hard as well, when you're old and not rich you'll realise you wasted your entire life on nothing.
haha, i don't know you or your exact situation but this is pointless, the truth is maybe you'll get lucky and be a millionaire by 20, but maybe you'll be like almost every other forex trader who fails, if you know anything about trading, luck is the most important thing, according to actual traders.
Original post by Puzzled_Logician
In essence, yes.

Predictions about a financial market are all involved with luck to a certain extent.

You even said it yourself, these are predictions, not an absolute.

As you are trying to predict an outcome, for personal financial gain, there is (no matter how small) an element of risk.

You're not studying the outcome, but you are hoping for a specific one. This is a form of luck...

Obviously, there are risks and luck comes into play as well, but once you have molded a system with higher than 70% strike rate then you can profit long term. All currency pairs replicates specific movements for example double downs and double ups. By successfully identifying the beginning of these movements you are able to profit off of them. In a sense you are studying previous outcomes and hoping for a specific one. But you are technically 100% right.
the main point was that to be successful in the job you need luck, but getting them is hard as well, when you're old and not rich you'll realise you wasted your entire life on nothing.

And when I'm middle aged and rich, I will remember this comment :smile: I speak from proven results. They aren't definite but definitely have a high success rate. It IS all in the hard work. If I relied on luck I'd be dead by now.
Original post by Imperion
And when I'm middle aged and rich, I will remember this comment :smile: I speak from proven results. They aren't definite but definitely have a high success rate. It IS all in the hard work. If I relied on luck I'd be dead by now.
is being middle aged and rich really a goal? what about friends and a girlfriend/boyfriend? even if you defy all logical and are one of the very few... you'll be middle aged lol, that sounds like a waste to me, but good luck anyway mate, i genuinely hope you succeed and its everything you dream of :smile:
Original post by darthentantius
it's not the 19th century. people can work hard, study or get means to be well off. and why do people stereotype the rich? now people have more opportunities than ever, there's no excuse to feel you're being put down by 'the rich'.

Can you define 'poor' people? I mean when people count to poverty in your own view?
haha, i don't know you or your exact situation but this is pointless, the truth is maybe you'll get lucky and be a millionaire by 20, but maybe you'll be like almost every other forex trader who fails, if you know anything about trading, luck is the most important thing, according to actual traders.

5% of casual forex traders make money (from their own home). This is much higher for people working in the big city firms. You'll find that: risk management, money management, lots of practice, patience and knowledge are all more prevailing factors than luck. That doesn't mean that luck doesn't isn't a factor in a traders success. Just not the determining factor over whether or not you will make money.
is being middle aged and rich really a goal? what about friends and a girlfriend/boyfriend? even if you defy all logical and are one of the very few... you'll be middle aged lol, that sounds like a waste to me, but good luck anyway mate, i genuinely hope you succeed and its everything you dream of :smile:

It is to me. I'd definitely spare some time for my social aspect as the reason I want to be rich is to care for my family. Thank you, and I hope the same for you.
5% of casual forex traders make money (from their own home). This is much higher for people working in the big city firms. You'll find that: risk management, money management, lots of practice, patience and knowledge are all more prevailing factors than luck. That doesn't mean that luck doesn't isn't a factor in a traders success. Just not the determining factor over whether or not you will make money.
We're talking about becoming rich though, not just making money. All of those things reduce the amount of luck you'll need if you like, but theres still no garnet of a paycheque, so no reasonable person will spend their money and enjoy it much, because you'll be preparing for next week when you make nothing, or worse lose it all... forex is literally the worse one.
Obviously, there are risks and luck comes into play as well, but once you have molded a system with higher than 70% strike rate then you can profit long term. All currency pairs replicates specific movements for example double downs and double ups. By successfully identifying the beginning of these movements you are able to profit off of them. In a sense you are studying previous outcomes and hoping for a specific one. But you are technically 100% right.

This is based on proportion, and successfully getting a '70% strike rate' for a year is still no guarantee that (even if following the same patterns) this is going to continue for the foreseeable future...

Patterns change, especially in a niche that can be so easily changed by different thought processes (not necessarily you, personally). So as you can never know the thought processes of everyone else out there who deals with finance, it is not possible to say you can get a '70% strike rate' indefinitely...

Not to say you won't, but it is still very much a high risk/high gain strategy to monetary wealth...
(edited 8 years ago)
it's not the 19th century. people can work hard, study or get means to be well off. and why do people stereotype the rich? now people have more opportunities than ever, there's no excuse to feel you're being put down by 'the rich'.

People attract envy for having more or for 'having it easy'. Many wealthy people have inherited it, or are the children or grandchildren of wealthy families, so it isn't always true (or even generally true) that rich people made it through hard work. Most rich people got rich via inheritance or access to privileged education, contacts, health, access to services and property and the ability to take advantage of opportunities more easily due to comfortable lives.

Envy isn't great, but it's understandable in that context.
OK. But then i'm just amused that you mock me for suppose non-wisdom, but OK. so much for being wise yourself.

Sorry Darth, and I hope this doesn't disappoint you, but I wasn't referring to you. Your post just happened to be the one before mine. I hadn't even reached the end of the thread. I posted as I was on my way out the door. I was stating that in my opinion people are envious because of plain jealousy.
Reply 57
Because they wish they were rich hence they are envious
Original post by Puzzled_Logician
This is based on proportion, and successfully getting a '70% strike rate' for a year is still no guarantee that (even if following the same patterns) this is going to continue for the foreseeable future...

Patterns change, especially in a niche that can be so easily changed by different thought processes (not necessarily you, personally). So as you can never know the thought processes of everyone else out there who deals with finance, it is not possible to say you can get a '70% strike rate' indefinitely...

Not to say you won't, but it is still very much a high risk/high gain strategy to monetary wealth...

It is possible. Scalping is when you trade on small 1-3 pip movements in a very small time frame where as swing trading is looking for much bigger pip movements. With different volatility markets you can adapt these trades and you always have been able to. The same market indicators have existed for decades, so i don't see why it's suddenly going to change...
and people who work hard are evil..got it.

You clearly have no knowledge of societal structures. To say that it's just a matter of 'hard work' is a massive oversimplification.

People who are born into middle class families have a head start compared to people born into working class families. There is what is called a class discrepancy in the education system in which working class pupils are constantly underachieving compared to middle class pupils. If you think this is purely because they don't want to work hard, then you are ever so ignorant.

A middle class child will be more likely to attend a private school or a selective grammar, while a working class child would attend a state comprehensive. Now this isn't me just plucking claims out of thin air, this is based on actual statistics of school's intake of pupils of different class etc

This means the middle class child will receive a MUCH higher quality of education compared to the working class child. The education received isn't just who can remember more facts, it's being taught how to communicate effectively, build important social relationships, have a range of extra-curricular skills etc all of the things which employers value. Now I'm not saying a state school pupil would lack these, all I'm saying is middle class pupils are more likely to achieve these.

These are just some examples of how it isn't just a matter of 'hard work', the issue in question is much deeper and I can't even begin to elaborate on all the range of factors and debates. Hopefully I have demonstrated that it isn't just that poor people are lazy. I mean yes, some poor people are lazy, but so are some rich people.

I personally come from a state comprehensive school and will be off to university. I'm expecting top grades and have worked hard towards my exams. But no way did my parents have money for me to take part in extra curricular activities outside of school, or pay for piano lessons etc. That said, I do not think the poor should 'envy' the rich. For sure, no body should envy anyone. I do however think that people should understand the issue further and realise that the current system put out needs to be improved. We are far from achieving a full meritocracy.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending