The Student Room Group

Chemistry 2016 Applicant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by itsConnor_
Thought I'd enter this thread :smile:

Looking to apply for chemistry (M.Chem/MSci) at: Bath, Warwick, Durham, Imperial and not sure on the other.
I think I'll be predicted A*A*A*A* (chem, maths, eng lit. and geog)

Weird choice of subjects.
Original post by alow
Weird choice of subjects.

Do you think it will hinder my application? :s-smilie:
Reply 62
Do you think it will hinder my application? :s-smilie:

It kind of rules out a couple of places (e.g. Cambridge) and physics would obviously be preferable (or FM with some mechanics) but you'll probably be fine.
Applying for Chemistry with Maths MSci at UCL, Chemistry and Mathematics BSc at Leeds, and BSc Chemistry at Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham
Considering York as my 5th option. Any thoughts on the university / chemistry dept. & course? I didn't get a chance to visit an open day. :smile:
Considering York as my 5th option. Any thoughts on the university / chemistry dept. & course? I didn't get a chance to visit an open day. :smile:

Chemistry department at York is excellent, labs are top of the range, and as far as I know the course is well structured. However the university itself is pretty ugly, if you like lots of grey concrete then go for it but when I went it was very offputting despite the success of the department
Reply 66
guys what is this for ???????????? is it for alevels
Reply 67
nvm its for university
Original post by Aerosmith
Chemistry department at York is excellent, labs are top of the range, and as far as I know the course is well structured. However the university itself is pretty ugly, if you like lots of grey concrete then go for it but when I went it was very offputting despite the success of the department

Ok thanks :smile: were the buildings that bad? :tongue:
Ok thanks :smile: were the buildings that bad? :tongue:

Depends what you like but personally I thought the buildings were offputting and made everything just look very grey. Having visited 7 universities, it was the one that seemed to be the least social and had much less of an atmosphere than the rest. If you're entirely subject focused then it's perfect but actually there are better departments (and places!) to go to (for example I would highly recommend Bristol for the facilities, Leeds for the friendliness of the department and UCL for the structure of the courses offered)
Depends what you like but personally I thought the buildings were offputting and made everything just look very grey. Having visited 7 universities, it was the one that seemed to be the least social and had much less of an atmosphere than the rest. If you're entirely subject focused then it's perfect but actually there are better departments (and places!) to go to (for example I would highly recommend Bristol for the facilities, Leeds for the friendliness of the department and UCL for the structure of the courses offered)

Where are you applying?
Original post by longsightdon
Where are you applying?

Bristol, UCL, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham, you?
Bristol, UCL, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham, you?

Ayy! I'm applying to Nottingham too! And also applying to (Oxford imperial Durham)-Yolo haha and Warwick. U sent off ur ucas yet?
Ayy! I'm applying to Nottingham too! And also applying to (Oxford imperial Durham)-Yolo haha and Warwick. U sent off ur ucas yet?

Oh wow ok haha. I haven't visited Imperial or Durham but did go to Oxford and was disappointed to learn that there was no year in industry/study abroad option and that the undergrad labs were old (even though they're building some new ones) but obviously there's no denying it has the best course (in terms of content) in the country. I don't want to apply for it though, it doesn't suit me! Woo nottingham! And no not yet, just finished my personal statement. Sending my UCAS off before half term :smile: have you sent yours?
(edited 8 years ago)
Really worried now, after reading all this, that WCRH is too generic for my application for natural sciences to cambridge and they'll just ignore my application? I bought that one cause it had good reviews and didn't want to be spending £20-£30 on something that wasn't going to be useful, do you think I still stand a chance?
Reply 75
Original post by tammyd658
Really worried now, after reading all this, that WCRH is too generic for my application for natural sciences to cambridge and they'll just ignore my application? I bought that one cause it had good reviews and didn't want to be spending £20-£30 on something that wasn't going to be useful, do you think I still stand a chance?

Yes. Just because everyone reads it doesn't mean it's useless.
Oh wow ok haha. I haven't visited Imperial or Durham but did go to Oxford and was disappointed to learn that there was no year in industry/study abroad option and that the undergrad labs were old (even though they're building some new ones) but obviously there's no denying it has the best course (in terms of content) in the country. I don't want to apply for it though, it doesn't suit me! Woo nottingham! And no not yet, just finished my personal statement. Sending my UCAS off before half term :smile: have you sent yours?

Hoping to get it sent off this week. Feeling nervous already :colondollar:
Hoping to get it sent off this week. Feeling nervous already :colondollar:

Just emailed UCL admissions tutor about why the student satisfaction appeared to be much lower than other universities and he got quite defensive about it. Doesn't sound like a good vibe - plus I've seen pictures of the department and it looks pretty ugly, plus London is expensive asf :s-smilie: don't think I'll be applying there now, may as well replace it with Warwick, much better option.

You'll be absolutely fine! Don't be nervous, no need
Just emailed UCL admissions tutor about why the student satisfaction appeared to be much lower than other universities and he got quite defensive about it. Doesn't sound like a good vibe - plus I've seen pictures of the department and it looks pretty ugly, plus London is expensive asf :s-smilie: don't think I'll be applying there now, may as well replace it with Warwick, much better option.

You'll be absolutely fine! Don't be nervous, no need

Sounds like a good plan. He doesn't sound great :s-smilie:. And Warwicks great! And haha let's hope :tongue: are u applying for all msci/mchem?
Sounds like a good plan. He doesn't sound great :s-smilie:. And Warwicks great! And haha let's hope :tongue: are u applying for all msci/mchem?

Yeah I thought he was a nice guy but then that reply really changed my mind! MSci/MChem Chemistry at Bristol and Leeds, BSc at Manchester, Notts and Warwick :smile: trying to get a range of offers haha. You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending